Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Did the Lisle Crankshaft pulley bolt Removal Socket Work For You?

• Factory Torqued, Yes

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Factory Torqued, No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Previously Broke Loose, Yes

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Previously Broke Loose, No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This 19mm fat impact socket worked for me. Keep in mind it has been removed at least 3 times before.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I had no luck with the Lisle fat socket. Of course, my 2 hp Ingersoll-Rand compressor is just a medium duty machine. And my rattle gun is a chinese clone of the IR 231c. If I had more air, it might have worked.

This was on my daughter's 2010 Acura TL with the 300 hp alumasil engine. I had to put full body weight (200 lbs) on the end of a 5 foot cheater to break the bolt loose. That's a thousand ft-lbs. When in doubt, get a long lever.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Decided to make this a poll to record Piloteers experiences with this product.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Follow-up question: Do you own a REAL cordless impact wrench?
Hopefully voters who were successful or unsuccessful, could post what kind of impact they used.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Hopefully voters who were successful or unsuccessful, could post what kind of impact they used.
I'm considering making the jump to a cordless impact driver. What have you found to be as good--or better--than an air impact driver?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Have you used the special tool that holds the pulley while trying to break the bolt loose?
If you use a breaker bar and cheater, you definitely need the holding tool.

With a really hard-hitting impact driver and socket, maybe not.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm considering making the jump to a cordless impact driver. What have you found to be as good--or better--than an air impact driver?
I had Dewalt batteries for another of their devices. It made since for me to get their largest 20v impact. I have no idea if it's the best battery operated impact out there.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
looks like I'll stay away from DIYing this job
Why? If you did the ATF cooler, you can do this. Lots of video help. You just need a couple of three special tools.

Reactions: Irish Pilot Mender

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I had Dewalt batteries for another of their devices. It made since for me to get their largest 20v impact. I have no idea if it's the best battery operated impact out there.
The Dewalt 20V is competitive with the big Milwaukee M18 Fuel impact wrench 2767 I've had for several years. They both have similar specs for fastening torque and nut-busting torque. Can't go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have you used the special tool that holds the pulley while trying to break the bolt loose?
Yes, when using 1/2 in extensions with jack stand method. Did not need it with the impact.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Why? If you did the ATF cooler, you can do this. Lots of video help. You just need a couple of three special tools.
I don't know. ATF cooler seems like a breeze compared to timing belt. I might be wrong though, haven't really looked into this as I still have a some way to go - 42K on the clock at the moment. If not mileage based, what's the time/age recommendation to have it done?

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't know. ATF cooler seems like a breeze compared to timing belt. I might be wrong though, haven't really looked into this as I still have a some way to go - 42K on the clock at the moment. If not mileage based, what's the time/age recommendation to have it done?
105k miles or 7 years. Which ever comes first.

Reactions: zmarke01

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,238 Posts
As much as I enjoy the satisfaction of a good DIY job getting done, everyone has a tipping point where they'll just pay someone. That would be mine. I'd rather do a couple of hours of my genteel career work than a knucke-busting sciatica-unfriendly timing belt job. Less wear and tear on the shop rags, too.

Don't have the Lisle socket. Garage is unheated. Impact driver is so underpowered it can't loosen lug nuts. Great for deck screws, though.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As much as I enjoy the satisfaction of a good DIY job getting done, everyone has a tipping point where they'll just pay someone. That would be mine. I'd rather do a couple of hours of my genteel career work than a knucke-busting sciatica-unfriendly timing belt job. Less wear and tear on the shop rags, too.

Don't have the Lisle socket. Garage is unheated. Impact driver is so underpowered it can't loosen lug nuts. Great for deck screws, though.
Think of the money you can save.
The jack stand method with a couple of sets of Harbor Freight impact grade 1/2 extensions can get you past the crankshaft pulley bolt.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts