Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!
I installed a new timing belt on my '13 pilot. I marked the old belt and transferred the marks to the new belt. Everything lined up nicely.i pulled the pin to the tensioner and all looked fine.

I was told to rotate the crank clockwise 2X around to verify the belt position and while rotating the key fell out and I spun the crank clockwise I believe half a turn without the belt moving. I put the harmonic balancer back on and only pushed the key in enough to catch the crankshaft (but not the sprocket as it was misaligned and wouldn't go completely back in till I turned it back half a turn). I turned the shaft counterclockwise to realign with the sprocket. Now the marks on the cam pulley and shaft are off after turning it clockwise for 4 or so rotations. After 1 rotation it was off, so I turned it again. Still off, Then I thought maybe I lost track somehow and turned it again...Here are the photos of the alignment, There must be a way to determine if the crank it TDC on cylinder 1 without removing the head. How do I realign the cams? I can't believe I got myself into this. I just did a timing belt on a Volvo V50 a few weeks ago no problem...Ugghhhh! I really don't want to take a half backed repair job into the shop! Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
You have a set back but don't panic. Remove belt and tensioner. Align your marks by rotating cams and crank in the proper direction. There are videos on how to reset your tensioner. Reinstall and this time don't forget to put the bolt on to hold pulley and key in place when rechecking your marks.
Added Info: I would remove spark plugs for easy rotation if you haven't already.

Reactions: Tanner

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Just to be sure... You aren't using the marks you made on the belt for anything after the first time you moved the crank, right? Focus on the timing mark at the harmonic balancer and the notches on the cam sprockets. Those are the pieces that need to be aligned.

Unless the total number of teeth on the belt happen to be an exact even multiple of the number of teeth on the crank sprocket, the belt will always "walk" those marks relative to the sprockets as you rotate the engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You have a set back but don't panic. Remove belt and tensioner. Align your marks by rotating cams and crank in the proper direction. There are videos on how to reset your tensioner. Reinstall and this time don't forget to put the bolt on to hold pulley and key in place when rechecking your marks.
Added Info: I would remove spark plugs for easy rotation if you haven't already.
Thanks for the reassurance. I'll give it a try. I also since found out that to determine if the crank is in proper position (vs. 180 degrees off) you pull the #1 plug and insert a non metal rod and turn the crank slightly left and right. If the rod moves up and down, it's TDC for #1. If it doesn't the crank must be turned clockwise once. But what I don't know is if this will harm the valves. Presumably they may have been damaged by getting into this position in the first place...don't know. Will give it a shot and report back. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to be sure... You aren't using the marks you made on the belt for anything after the first time you moved the crank, right? Focus on the timing mark at the harmonic balancer and the notches on the cam sprockets. Those are the pieces that need to be aligned.

Unless the total number of teeth on the belt happen to be an exact even multiple of the number of teeth on the crank sprocket, the belt will always "walk" those marks relative to the sprockets as you rotate the engine.
Dr Bob, you nailed it!!!! (y) I was trying to align the belt marks and the cam/balancer marks with the block after having rotated it several time. I simply turned it about half a turn and all the notches lined up. Problem solved. On my Volvo, all the marks including ones on the belt did seem to align after rotation. Lessons learned here...Freakout over nothing! o_O Thanks both for answering! Now I can put Humpty Dumpty back together again!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Thanks for the reassurance. I'll give it a try. I also since found out that to determine if the crank is in proper position (vs. 180 degrees off) you pull the #1 plug and insert a non metal rod and turn the crank slightly left and right. If the rod moves up and down, it's TDC for #1. If it doesn't the crank must be turned clockwise once. But what I don't know is if this will harm the valves. Presumably they may have been damaged by getting into this position in the first place...don't know. Will give it a shot and report back. Thanks again!!
It shouldn't harm your valves. Thumbs up on #1 piston since 1 full turn of the crank equals 1/2 on the cams. You got this.

Reactions: mwillkehr
1 - 6 of 6 Posts