Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 Honda pilot has finally died @ 313,000 miles & I'm trying to revive it. I did some investigation (during a blizzard) & couldn't find the problem, so I took it to the shop & they couldn't figure it out either. So far I know:
-no bad dash lights or engine codes
-battery & connections are good
-full tank of gas
-has fairly good compression
-cranks at normal speed but no spark
-replaced main relay
-the roof or windshield has been leaking & the front carpet is wet & the technician said the carpet is energized.............???

Any thoughts on where to go from here would be appreciated. We all seem to be stumped & I would like to get the car fixed as opposed to buying a new one.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Any chance you're using an aftermarket key?

https://www.piloteers.org/threads/aw-nuts-cranks-but-doesnt-turn-over.118505/#post-1221721

For the wet floorboard, start by locating and unclogging your center nipple and dangling hose. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A couple times when it had been raining or snow was melting on the roof of my car there was water dripping by the rear view mirror...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It died after it warmed up & drove to the top of the driveway, 100 yards. (weather was in the single digits in the ski town I'm living in) It was missing & not full power going up the driveway until it died on the road.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has good compression, just no spark. Turns of the mechanic found .5 volts of electricity in the carpet. Bringing it home to investigate it further.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, that's where I'm at.... Now the challenge of tracing where the short is & if it has fried anything else in the system, like the computer. Any suggestions on best way to trace it? I was planning on ripping out the front carpet & drying everything out for starters... Thanks Tanner!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Removing the carpet to dry / change, may locate a wire(s) or a loose connector under the wet carpet (that would be an easy solution). The carpet will have to be addressed anyway.

It could also be a shorted wire rubbing against a metal frame piece, like under the dash or in the console, that has the frame bolted down to where the wet carpet is touching it (thus transferring the voltage).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Tanner, I appreciate the advice. Its not easy working on & drying out a wet car in the winter in a ski town without a garage. So until it warms up or I find a garage I can use... I'm in the market for a new vehicle. When I solve it, I will be sure to post the answer ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts