Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
That's the same response I got when I brought my 2020 Pilot BE to the dealership to work on the SB 20-047 and SB 20-051 last Saturday, so I guess no update on this but to wait. The crackling sound on my Pilot has been consistent now when in use and at one time it even made that exploding sound that scared my wife and kids. I still love my Pilot, but it's just so disappointing that this is taking too long for them to get the parts manufactured.
So yours is still having the poping even after they applied the service bulletin fix of rerouting the wires and replacing connectors??

·
Registered
42 Posts
So yours is still having the poping even after they applied the service bulletin fix of rerouting the wires and replacing connectors??
Stealth... as for mine... the tech they flew in did the job( so far) . He replaced all
The pins. I’m always waiting for the popping to start back back entry time I drive it. Makes me mad I can’t enjoy my new Pilot

·
Registered
56 Posts
Stealth... as for mine... the tech they flew in did the job( so far) . He replaced all
The pins. I’m always waiting for the popping to start back back entry time I drive it. Makes me mad I can’t enjoy my new Pilot
I am one month since they did the latest TSB. and still no poping so hoping its fixed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update: I opened a ticket with Honda America. It was not a good process. It took 4 weeks and MANY calls before I finally got a human to respond to the ticket that would be replied to in "1-2 business days." Three times the case owner was changed before I ever talked to anyone.

So, I finally just scheduled an appointment with the dealer. Then the case manager finally called and said she'd contact the dealer about the case to make sure the ticket was resolved. The dealer now had the coveted FAKRA connectors needed to resolve this. It was about 2-3 hours of service and all seems well now. Time will tell.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot Black Edition
87 Posts
Update: I opened a ticket with Honda America. It was not a good process. It took 4 weeks and MANY calls before I finally got a human to respond to the ticket that would be replied to in "1-2 business days." Three times the case owner was changed before I ever talked to anyone.

So, I finally just scheduled an appointment with the dealer. Then the case manager finally called and said she'd contact the dealer about the case to make sure the ticket was resolved. The dealer now had the coveted FAKRA connectors needed to resolve this. It was about 2-3 hours of service and all seems well now. Time will tell.
Thanks for the information. Do you think this is how every owner with the cracking issue resolve this, open a ticket with HA? The last time I was at the dealership the main technician understands and told me the safety recalls won't fix the issue and they are waiting for the part to be available and issue another SB for it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the information. Do you think this is how every owner with the cracking issue resolve this, open a ticket with HA? The last time I was at the dealership the main technician understands and told me the safety recalls won't fix the issue and they are waiting for the part to be available and issue another SB for it.
Call your dealer (or call around) and ask them if they have the FAKRA connectors available. If you have the same problem and they do have them that should fix it. Mine had them readily available--my dealer says they've already fixed 200 cars this way. My having an open ticket seemed to have no effect on this -- the dealer already had the parts.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sadly something happened and appears to be back or a different but similar issue. As wife was driving car and the car went crazy with popping noises. She turned it off and it finally stopped when turned back on didn’t make the popping any more. Luckily she caught a video of it. I will be taking it back to the dealer after thanksgiving :(. I was hoping the tsb would have fixed it :( but appears it didn’t.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mine still had the cracking and popping after the TSB 20-047 and 20-051. I brought it back just last week as they had the Honda Field Engineer in the shop. They had the vehicle 2 days and this is the engineer's report: "Disassembled the vehicle to gain access to the MOST ring connections and found that the vehicle currently does not have the updated connectors or jumpers installed. Performed TSB 20-058 (0101Q2 Audio Unit- Replace the FAKRA Connectors), adjusted terminal tension as needed and re-assembled the vehicle.". They even parked the vehicle outside to cold soak overnight and then test drove the next day and they didn't replicate any of the cracking. So far I have not heard a single cracking and popping, so I'm hoping this finally fixed this. When you visit your dealership, insist on the FAKRA connectors, just like what pattonmartin said. Hopefully this really fix this.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Mine still had the cracking and popping after the TSB 20-047 and 20-051. I brought it back just last week as they had the Honda Field Engineer in the shop. They had the vehicle 2 days and this is the engineer's report: "Disassembled the vehicle to gain access to the MOST ring connections and found that the vehicle currently does not have the updated connectors or jumpers installed. Performed TSB 20-058 (0101Q2 Audio Unit- Replace the FAKRA Connectors), adjusted terminal tension as needed and re-assembled the vehicle.". They even parked the vehicle outside to cold soak overnight and then test drove the next day and they didn't replicate any of the cracking. So far I have not heard a single cracking and popping, so I'm hoping this finally fixed this. When you visit your dealership, insist on the FAKRA connectors, just like what pattonmartin said. Hopefully this really fix this.
I bet that guy was frustrated when he found that they hadn't even applied the latest TSB before calling for help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have 2020 Pilot Elite. Crackling started around 500 miles. I told my dealer when I brought it in coincidentally for other recall work. They fixed crackling by replacing/changing wiring in several placing through vehicle. Been a couple months and no more issues. (Fingers crossed)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Our 2019 Elite has been in the shop 4x for this. The TSB/Recall "fix" was done and it worked for a few months. Yesterday my wife was driving it and it was back with a vengeance. Called Honda 2x (still no response). It is going back to the dealer tomorrow for more, "investigating". I am going to investigate myself, the Lemon laws in Maryland. The pilot has 28K miles on it. This is our 3rd Pilot, the 2005 is still running with 265K on it. Sadly, this might be our last Pilot and we give our $$$ to Toyota.
Semper Fi

·
Registered
258 Posts
Our 2019 Elite has been in the shop 4x for this. The TSB/Recall "fix" was done and it worked for a few months. Yesterday my wife was driving it and it was back with a vengeance. Called Honda 2x (still no response). It is going back to the dealer tomorrow for more, "investigating". I am going to investigate myself, the Lemon laws in Maryland. The pilot has 28K miles on it. This is our 3rd Pilot, the 2005 is still running with 265K on it. Sadly, this might be our last Pilot and we give our $$$ to Toyota.
Semper Fi
It sounds to me like they may not be applying the latest TSB. Would it be possible to dry a different dealer? Yours doesn't sound like they're worth another try.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It sounds to me like they may not be applying the latest TSB. Would it be possible to dry a different dealer? Yours doesn't sound like they're worth another try.

Is there a latest TSB #.? They changed all the connectors and whatever they had to do for the last one , a few months ago. I have no problem naming dealers here , if it is cool. I have been taking it to Shockley Honda, in Frederick, Maryland. They have been helpful, but the issue is still there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, I’m here because my 2019 Pilot just started the popping today. Found this thread while looking for the problem. I have 70k miles on it and it was all good until now. If anyone has advice to give me before my appointment on Thursday morning, please share! This is torture.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well, I’m here because my 2019 Pilot just started the popping today. Found this thread while looking for the problem. I have 70k miles on it and it was all good until now. If anyone has advice to give me before my appointment on Thursday morning, please share! This is torture.
If possible, try to request a Honda Field Engineer to be present when your car is being fixed. Schedule it if necessary. I just got lucky that a Honda field engineer was at the dealership for a week when I took my car in and was definitely thorough than when the first attempt to fix was done. It's been 3 months since the fix and I have not heard a single pop/crack sound, whether radio, CD, call or the rear entertainment on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If possible, try to request a Honda Field Engineer to be present when your car is being fixed. Schedule it if necessary. I just got lucky that a Honda field engineer was at the dealership for a week when I took my car in and was definitely thorough than when the first attempt to fix was done. It's been 3 months since the fix and I have not heard a single pop/crack sound, whether radio, CD, call or the rear entertainment on.
Ok. I will call to request. Is there a way to turn the popping off completely for the next 2 days? I turned the audio off and unplugged my phone but it kept popping away.

·
Registered
95 Posts
We had the TSB work done AND some additional updates they came up with since the TSB came out. It has been a few months and so far so good, fingers crossed. I will look at our invoice/repair order to see what they did.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We had the TSB work done AND some additional updates they came up with since the TSB came out. It has been a few months and so far so good, fingers crossed. I will look at our invoice/repair order to see what they did.
That’s good to hear. I bright it in and apparently the parts are back ordered with no date in sight. I had to leave Honda Service with a popping car. I’m going to go mad. I do 2+ hours of driving every day 😭

21 - 40 of 43 Posts