Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever see this problem?

We turned on our Pilot this evening to run a quick errand. It was about 30 degres out with a light ice coating on the car. We turned on the heat and defroster. At that point, the lower part of the windshield completely cracked along the bottom width of the windshield above the heating vents. No object ever hit the car. It was parked at the time.

I looked at the warranty and it says glass is not covered unless its a manufactuers defect.

Do you think the dealer will replace without problem since I believe its a faulty windshield?

The Pilot is only five weeks old with around 1,000 miles.

Thanks

·
Registered
725 Posts
Should Force A Warranty Repair!

If the window cracked like you say it did, it will be very obvious that there is NOT any point of impact on your windshield and you should force Honda to warranty the windshield. It may not have been installed properly to begin with and was under some kind of stress... and all it needed was some cold and hot air to get together to cause a stress crack.

I wouldn't talk to anyone else other than the Service Director at your dealership.

Common sense should prevail.

Good Luck!
PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Man, that is a scary story since I subject my Pilot to similar situation as your pretty much everyday. I'm really sorry to hear such an unfortunate event. I really hope that the dealer comes through for you and replaces the windshield that'll last a longtime. Please keep us updated with your situation. Thanks.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Just had mine replaced

Just replaced my windshield. There was no defect, just the result of living in the gravel capital of the world. Cost - $328.00 and it was in stock- Note the position of your wipers. Both of mine were incorrectly positioned and caused wind noise. BPILOT

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Re: Just had mine replaced

BPilot said:
Just replaced my windshield. There was no defect, just the result of living in the gravel capital of the world. Cost - $328.00 and it was in stock- Note the position of your wipers. Both of mine were incorrectly positioned and caused wind noise. BPILOT
Thanks for letting us know about that. But can you please tell us how differently the wipers were positioned from the others? Also, did you have to pay for the replacement or was it covered under the warranty or did the dealer take care of it for you? Thanks.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Just noticed a crack in my windshield from a rock hit. It has started to crack so I am taking it to a local shop to see if they can stop it before it goes anywhere.

A cracked windshield is usually covered under your insurance policy and should not affect your rates. (Comprehensive section?) You may still have to pay a deductible.

Bielen, by tracing the entire length of the crack you should be able to find an impact point if there was one. If you can't find one I would take it to the dealer. I know Toyota had a problem with some of their late model Tercels. The windshields were not correctly installed and had caused a crack. If there was no impact I would not put it out of the realm of possibilities that one of 20,000+ Pilots had an incorrectly installed windshield.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
170 Posts
bielen said:
Anyone ever see this problem?

bielen,
maybe this is a Jersey thing, I just found the same exact thing this
AM on my car- the only thing is it's on my 1995 Maxima with 110k
miles- I don't remember any kind of impact other than from the ice scraper,I have yet to trace it from end to end although on initial glance I did not see any kind of Ding. I am not sure what to do now
since this is car I am either selling or trading in,if there is no impact point will my comprehensive still cover it and if so will they raise rates because of it . Or do I just trade it in as is?:confused:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Oooops ... With the kind of weather today in NY/NJ (hail/sleet), things don't look too good either for my Pilot parked in the open !!! :mad:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Having spent many years in the true cracked windshield capital - Colorado, I can suggest this as the cause other than manufacturer's defect. I've seen this scenario happen time and time again.

Most likely you had some debris hit the window at a previous time. Could have caused the tiniest hairline fracture or chip, etc. without you noticing what happened. Then, the combination of the cold air and the heated defroster causes the problem to worsen and in seconds fractures and cracks appear.

I would definitely pursue getting it replaced under warranty. However, don't be suprised if they go over it with a fine tooth comb and find the "cause of the problem". They might be able to find the smallest impact, pit, etc. on the crack line and will deny the claim. For this reason, it's a good idea to get decent insurance policy coverage with low deductibles on windshields, etc.

Good luck!

·
Registered
170 Posts
mule714 said:
Having spent many years in the true cracked windshield capital - Colorado, I can suggest this as the cause other than manufacturer's defect. I've seen this scenario happen time and time again.

Most likely you had some debris hit the window at a previous time. Could have caused the tiniest hairline fracture or chip, etc. without you noticing what happened. Then, the combination of the cold air and the heated defroster causes the problem to worsen and in seconds fractures and cracks appear.
Good luck!
Mule- this could be exactly what happenned to me - just before
Christmas I was on the highway when a piece of debris - flat piece of wood or heavy cardboard flew up into my windshield it flipped over the top of my car and hit the antenna. I looked at the windshield then and didn't see anything,when I got to the mall
i checked again - nothing but as I walked away I noticed my antenna was bent at a 90 degree angle , It's motorized and I thought I was screwed on that but I straightened and It's been working all but the last little bit goes down,so I said to heck with telling insurance but now with the windshield maybe i'll get both fixed for the $100.00 comprehensive deductible!
I looked again at the crack and can't find a chip or ding but I'm not looking with a magnifying glass,hell i don't even have my reading glasses on!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At first the dealer didn't seem to believe me that nothing hit the windshield. I told them to order a new windshield.

Once I brought the Pilot in for service, they looked at the window and relation to the heating ducts. The dealer listed it as a stress crack on the service receipt. They said this doesn't happen very often, but they have seen it in the past.

The windshield was replaced at no charge. The dealer also gave me a free rental car to use for the day.

While I'm not happy the windshield cracked in the first place, I am pleased with the service.

·
Registered
199 Posts
RipRock

The deductable on my policy was $500 so I paid the $328. The wiper position was first noticed due to the wind noise. In use, the driver's side hit the side post. Adjustment should be so that the blade is as low as possible when in the home position. Due to the amount of body flex on the Pilot, everyone should let the adhesive set per the installer's instructions to avoid gaps and or leaks. I would avoid jacking the vehicle or parking where the body might be in a bind for the first 48 hours after installation. BPILOT

·
Registered
170 Posts
bielen said:

The windshield was replaced at no charge. The dealer also gave me a free rental car to use for the day.

While I'm not happy the windshield cracked in the first place, I am pleased with the service.
Bielen,
Congrats , your dealer did the right thing - not all dealers would have readily agreed to that, way to go!:4:

·
Registered
26 Posts
crACK

Well, I was washing my new Pilot for the first time yesterday and what I thought was a bug splatter turned out to be a crack in the windshield. I'm guessing that it happened on our return from Mammoth Mountain...and I wouldn't be surprised if it was a rock impact (though I don't recall an actual moment of impact).

We talked to our insurance and someone will be coming out to repair the damage tomorrow morning. Have to act quickly because we're heading up to Mammoth again on Thursday night!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Re: Wiper Position and Placement

BPilot said:
Can somebody please post a picture of the wipers in different angles to make sure I can tell the correct positioning (height and distance from each other) and correct placement (left vs right wipers)?

I just had my windshield replaced last week and I noticed some wind noise at 60mph. The left wiper was also touching the bottom plastic, which causes an annoying sound everytime it goes down and up. I see that its the springs rubbing against the plastic the runs across the bottom of the windshield.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
02 Accord Cracked Windsheild Parked

My fiance had gotten her car inspected the night before we left for vacation March 11, 2004 at 6:30pm the car was inspected by a Honda Dealer. No car would have passed inspection with the crack in the windshield it has in it now. She returned immediately home from dealer that night and the car was parked for 8 days unused while we were away. The day we returned from our trip and first used her vehicle we notice a big 90 degree rotate "S" crack in the top-middle of the windshield where the rearview mirror is glued to.

There was two snow storms during that week with extremely fast freeze /thaw periods.

No evidence of breakin. or debris damage to the hood or no evidence of chipped glass.

This was a replacement windshield already and the car is a 2002. This will be her second one this year. Does the window installation company have a liability if we can prove the windshield was not installed properly. If the window was damaged by a stress failure etc, etc. and ideas or comments. I guess she'll be dishing out another 300+ for a car thats only 2 years old.

Bucks County roads suck so it doesn't surprise damage happens here.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Yes, we had a stone hit high on the windshield at ~40mph last week and now have a stone chip/crack too.

First one in 17 months of ownership. By that time in my old Jeep YJ, I had gone through two windshields already, largely due to the steep windshield angle. I don't think that the Pilot has the same problem. Steeper than a car, yes. Steeper than other vehicles in its class, not significantly.

Curious, any recommendations of a national or local (NW suburbs of Chicago) for an Auto Glass repair place?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts