Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 with 146,000 miles on it. Been giving me misfire codes recently, so we changed the EGR. Out of the blue last week while driving, it stopped accelerating. Limped home. Local mechanic changed the spark plugs, called and said it was accelerating but “now stalling, we can’t figure it out, come get it, no charge.“

Stalled out constantly, had to baby it in neutral giving gas to get it to the dealership. Dealer has had it 5 days. Initially, they said wrong type spark plugs and changed those. Now saying it’s a cracked engine block, something about suction?, not worth repair at $8500.

I told them to park it to the side and I would talk it over with husband. Any insight? Love both my Pilots, but $8500 is too steep. Heart broken.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Cracked engine block or cracked head? Did it ever overheat? If the first mechanic used the wrong plugs, there is the possibility they were over-torqued and caused substantial engine damage.

Not sure what they're saying about 'suction', but 'sucking sounds' are typically EVAP system related and not from the block; those can definitely cause the weak acceleration symptoms.

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
Cracked engine block or cracked head? Did it ever overheat? If the first mechanic used the wrong plugs, there is the possibility they were over-torqued and caused substantial engine damage.

Not sure what they're saying about 'suction', but 'sucking sounds' are typically EVAP system related and not from the block; those can definitely cause the weak acceleration symptoms.
Where are they saying the crack is?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have requested a written summary of what they have done, tested and recommend. Will let you know.

Thanks - T

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This was the totality of the service report/estimate I received.

The technician found upon diagnosing that the vehicle had the wrong spark plugs to start with. The AC Delco plugs had the wrong spark plug gap and was causing the vehicle to misfire. After replacement of the plugs, the vehicle was still running rough. Compression was checked next and found that cylinder # 3 was showing 70 for compression. Technician stated that there is air coming into the engine block causing this issue, which is the reason as to why we are recommending to replace the engine.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,068 Posts
Air does come into engines, they have to to run- the air intake.

So, if cylinder #3 is down on compression, there is probably a problem, burnt valve, etc.

I've never heard of a plug gap being off so much it caused major problems?

Good luck

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
587 Posts

The technician found upon diagnosing that the vehicle had the wrong spark plugs to start with. The AC Delco plugs had the wrong spark plug gap and was causing the vehicle to misfire. After replacement of the plugs, the vehicle was still running rough. Compression was checked next and found that cylinder # 3 was showing 70 for compression. Technician stated that there is air coming into the engine block causing this issue, which is the reason as to why we are recommending to replace the engine.
I'm betting you meant to say that when doing a leakdown test that air was leaking past an intake valve or something. This may not actually be related to the spark plugs. Either way it is a physical condition of the engine that'll have to be addressed.

·
Registered
506 Posts
As others have implied, you still don't have enough information. You need to know:

• what's the compression in the other cylinders? If they're OK, the problem is limited to just the one. That's good.
  • why do they think the leak is through the block, not a valve, or the rings? If the problem is just one cylinder, this seems unlikely.

The problem you've described is potentially serious, but it might not be "new engine" serious.

But most important: you need to decide if you trust these guys. You're getting good advice from this forum, but none of us have seen the vehicle. We're just guessing. If you don't trust them, find another shop and start over. If you do, keep asking questions.

·
Registered
9,550 Posts

Get 2nd opinion.
Sound like they're not wanting to find the solution for this older vehicle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We will not leave it there. Thank you for bolstering my confidence to deal with this BS.

·
Registered
587 Posts
We will not leave it there. Thank you for bolstering my confidence to deal with this BS.
With the next shop also try to get a detailed written explanation. It's easy to misunderstand what they maybe trying to tell you unless you're intimately familiar with the engine and how it works. We can help translate for ya (if needed) if we have accurate and clear details.

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
With the next shop also try to get a detailed written explanation. It's easy to misunderstand what they maybe trying to tell you unless you're intimately familiar with the engine and how it works. We can help translate for ya (if needed) if we have accurate and clear details.
Exactly.
This dealership is to vague. Lots more testing can be done.

Reactions: briantii

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Went to pick up the Pilot yesterday. Drove it a few blocks, stalled and then had it towed home.
What should we do now? Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
Went to pick up the Pilot yesterday. Drove it a few blocks, stalled and then had it towed home.
What should we do now? Thanks everyone.

View attachment 149616
The compression test numbers are not so good. Were these done at the dealership? This would have been good info to have prior.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, done at the dealership but not given to me until we left there. They really wanted to sell me a new Honda. I am disheartened after the mechanic and then also the dealership haven’t figured it out.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
Yes, done at the dealership but not given to me until we left there. They really wanted to sell me a new Honda. I am disheartened after the mechanic and then also the dealership haven’t figured it out.
If you believe the compression numbers then a new engine maybe necessary. Before I threw in the towel, A 2nd opinion, compression tested again would be great, if affordable. 290k miles is alot, but these vehicles have gone further if the proper maintenance was done. I'd verify that there is nothing pertaining to maintenance that's causing engine problems. Id replace any sensors that could cause my fault codes. Throttle body cleaned and reset, no vacuum leaks. I say these things as someone who DIYs.

·
Registered
587 Posts
If you believe the compression numbers then a new engine maybe necessary. Before I threw in the towel, A 2nd opinion, compression tested again would be great, if affordable. 290k miles is alot, but these vehicles have gone further if the proper maintenance was done. I'd verify that there is nothing pertaining to maintenance that's causing engine problems. Id replace any sensors that could cause my fault codes. Throttle body cleaned and reset, no vacuum leaks. I say these things as someone who DIYs.
Looks the Pilot with the issue was only at 146k miles. At a minimum a used engine at an independent shop should not be insane and would solve the issues. With that said a 2nd opinion seems prudent. The uneven compression numbers are really suspicious and makes me wonder what happened to the poor engine.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I am disheartened after the mechanic and then also the dealership haven’t figured it out.
I would at least consider the possibility that the dealer's mechanic did figure it out.

As @Nail Grease described, there are a number of steps that a modestly competent home mechanic could take without spending much money. These would be worth it, since it's possible that something was overlooked. If you have to pay for all of this, your threshold for avoiding "good money after bad" becomes very important.

If a second opinion (especially on the compression test) reaches the same conclusion the dealer did, I would stop thinking about "what's wrong?" and start thinking about the economics of a new engine vs. a new vehicle.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts