Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Pilot represents the fourth Honda my wife and I have owned. The worse problem I've ever had with our Hondas was a cracked distributer cap (happened in my '85 CRX and my '93 Civic EX). I've been noticing that my Pilot takes a few cranks of the key occassionally....especially when it's wet outside. Can it be that my brand new (well 5 mos old) Pilot is suffering from the same thing? Has anyone else had a problem starting in damp weather? Or is this just a "SUV" thing? It is the first large vehicle I've ever owned, but I doubt it's that.

P.S. The longest it's ever taken to start up is 10 seconds. Not a huge concern, but my '93 Civic (with it's new distributer cap) never takes 10 seconds to start.

·
Registered
241 Posts
distributor cap

Not sure these things have the traditional distributor. All is electronic ignition.
There are a number of reports here about what your refering to. Frankly I believe the security system may be the culprit.
Look around see if the other complaints match yours.

·
Registered
725 Posts
See Other Posts

There have been a couple of different posts about "starting" the PILOT.

The consensus is that if you put the key in the ignition and immediately turn the key, the "immobilizing" system doesn't get enough time to recognize the chip in your key, which will cause your PILOT to be harder to start.

I had this issue happen once with mine, but putting the key in and waiting for one second has fixed my problem.

Plus, there is no distributor cap on your engine - it's all electronic, those kinds of parts are history!

PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try it

Thanks. After posting I did find the other threads mentioning this problem. I guess it does sound reasonable that the immobilizer is causing the problem. I'll try the "insert and wait" method over the next few days.

·
Registered
56 Posts
WNYPilotGuy said:
My Pilot represents the fourth Honda my wife and I have owned. The worse problem I've ever had with our Hondas was a cracked distributer cap (happened in my '85 CRX and my '93 Civic EX). I've been noticing that my Pilot takes a few cranks of the key occassionally....especially when it's wet outside. Can it be that my brand new (well 5 mos old) Pilot is suffering from the same thing? Has anyone else had a problem starting in damp weather? Or is this just a "SUV" thing? It is the first large vehicle I've ever owned, but I doubt it's that.

P.S. The longest it's ever taken to start up is 10 seconds. Not a huge concern, but my '93 Civic (with it's new distributer cap) never takes 10 seconds to start.
My wife noticed starting hesitation/cranking on the first really cold day we had a few weeks back. It sounded wrong for a 2003 car to crank like that, so I told her about the wait & turn method I found in here, and we haven't had a problem since - whether rainy, cold or snowy --- all of which we had today here in lovely WNY!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts