Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the owner of a 2005 Pilot and a 2007 Ridgeline that still have a very long life ahead of them. By the time the engines die in each about 5-10 years from now, EVs will probably be dominant (at least in new car sales).

If and when that happens, I’d probably like to convert each to electric motors and batteries (only need about 80-100 miles range). I’ve started researching and planning what may be needed.

The VTM-4 system is brilliant and I’d love to keep it. However, in what I’ve been able to discover so far, the system is electronically controlled. Does anyone know of this is controlled by the main CPU that also controls the gas engine, or is this a separate unit?

If the engine is removed along with the cpu, it could render the 4WD useless. But, it it’s separate (or the CPU can stay even with the engine gone), it could likely be retained.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Interesting future plan...the VTM-4 ECU, brain, controls when and up to 55% of the engine power to be sent to the rear differential. The VTM-4 ECU gets information from wheel and engine sensors of impending slippage. An area of interest for you might be the VTM-4 Lock which allows one to manually lock the rear differential up to 18 mph.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,315 Posts
Interesting idea. On 2003/4 it’s a unique module. PN 48310-PVH-013

this might help you track down yourshttps://www.piloteers.org/threads/2004-pilot-vtm-conrol-module-replacement.106441/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting idea. On 2003/4 it’s a unique module. PN 48310-PVH-013

this might help you track down yourshttps://www.piloteers.org/threads/2004-pilot-vtm-conrol-module-replacement.106441/
Excellent. I’ll read through that thread and save it to OneNote for future reference. VTM is very complex (but also works great because of that complexity). I’d hate to have to sacrifice it to go electric. With all the major car companies saying that they are ending development of gas engines and many countries and states banning their sale in 5-10-15 years, EV tech is going to accelerate and hopefully reduce in price. It would be a pity if the 100’s of 1,000’s of excellently made Pilots, Ridgelines, CR-Vs, etc don’t have an easy path to join in on the craze with bolt in lots. They don’t deserve to enter the junkyards en masse.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,194 Posts
I, surely among others, will be interested in following your progress. Please keep posting in this thread as things move forward, even if you hit some snags along the way. Really hope it works out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts