Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Covid precautions at dealership are bad, how to get my oil changed?

6K views 57 replies 17 participants last post by  plplplpl 
#1 ·
So I am going to need an oil change in the next month or so and I’m not comfortable with my local dealership’s Covid precautions. I have several jiffy lube type and Oil Can Henry type places near me where I can sit in my car. Just wondering how I can use them, can I use their full synthetic oil? Do I need to get my own filter? This is my only option, I could not physically change my own oil. I am older and high risk for Covid.

#2 ·
Understand your concerns.
I'm sure the oil change place will have the proper filter replacement.
Talk to then about the oils they offer. Full syn. is usually more,
I change my own however, but understand it's not an option for everyone.
Good Luck- you, and the Pilot will be Ok.

#40 ·
Understand your concerns.
I'm sure the oil change place will have the proper filter replacement.
Talk to then about the oils they offer. Full syn. is usually more,
I change my own however, but understand it's not an option for everyone.
Good Luck- you, and the Pilot will be Ok.
The qualty and trouble rates with the quickie lube places are a concern. I avoid them like the plague.

My advice is, wear a mask and gloves and go to a dealer. Honda has provided directives as well as your stste Dept of Health on operations. If your dealer is not following them, go to a different Honda dealer. My experience with Honda dealer service has been excellent during covid.

There is very little time that anyone will be in your car even at a dealer. As if you can drive your car to the service bay if you remain concerned. The service mechanic does not need to be in your car to do any maintenance operation, they can reach in to start the car if needed.

I presume you go grocery shopping and to Target/Walmart, this is a good deal less concerning.

#3 ·
Some Honda dealers are now offering the option of the pick up and return of your vehicle for service.
There may be an extra fee for that option, or it may be included with the maintenance charges, but perhaps it's worth it for you until this virus situation somehow gets resolved.
Also, check with any local Acura dealers for the availability of similar service and to compare their prices.

I'd try to exhaust the possibly of using that solution before considering going a quick-lube shop.

#4 ·
I perform my own oil changes so I’m not sure this service style is new but Valvoline has been promoting a oil change service while you remain in your car 🚗 which sounds like a decent Covid alternative where they don’t touch the interior of the car. Valvoline makes good synthetic oils so just ask what oil and filter types are offered.
Text Font Line

#5 ·
love to hear about what your local dealers are and aren’t doing to keep you and their own employees safer.

Just had my local Bernardi, give my CRV a service. All facemasked and cleaned prior to returning it to me.I opted to stay rather than drop off.Their turnaround was much quicker than normal.

#7 ·
I'd rather have a Honda dealership oil change than a Jiffy Lube. But doing the Jiffy Lube is better than not getting it done.
I have a local tire shop that also does simple maintanance work. I can take my own oil and filter and they would do it for a fee. Wal-Mart will ship oil and filter to your home. You might order in an air filter while your at it. Free shipping on $35 orders.

#8 ·
I’m 66, single, I have health issues which put me at high risk for Covid and I‘m recovering from a broken foot. My dealership does not pickup vehicles for service. I will not wait in a stuffy waiting room for 2 hours while they change my oil. Yes, it takes them that long. I need to go someplace where I can sit in my car while they change my oil. I guess I will try Valvoline. Full synthetic oil and will make sure they have the correct filter.

#12 ·
When I had my oil change and seasonal tire change this past Spring, I brought one of the folding camping chairs with me to the dealership. I wore a mask and kept my distance when dropping off my vehicle and instead of waiting in the dealer service area I took my chair outside and set it up and waited there. I also took some sanitizer with me so I could sanitize my hands as soon as I left the dealership to wait. I plan to do the same thing when I go back for the upcoming seasonal tire change.

#27 ·
If you go to Valvoline, you'll get an oil change that's fine, but more $$ than your dealer charges. For the time you've saved you'll be treated to a salesman pretending to be a tech that tells you you're way past your service interval on blinker fluid, showing you your barely dusty engine air filter with a disapproving stare, and showing you an imaginary service schedule that corresponds to nothing while claiming that you absolutely need that transmission flush today.

Two hours of quiet at the dealer beats 15 minutes of a BS sales pitch every time. I'd stand outside the dealer in the snow for two hours before I'd go back to Valvoline. Go into the showroom and take a nap in one of the new cars while they're working on yours. You'll get new car smell AND quiet.

#31 ·
Same concern here. I had to do a state inspection for annual registration. So, I got a pack of disposable seat and steering wheel covers. Photo is from Amazon, not my car.

View attachment 141038
Back in the day my local Honda dealer used plastic seat covers and paper floor mats to keep the interior clean from repair work. Not sure whether that practice stopped but it should be restarted. I wouldn't be surprised whether some repair shops are using some mixed bleach sprays or wipes on surfaces to protect the workers.

#47 ·
That's been likened to taking a shower then continue wearing the same underwear. Ew.

#52 ·
I'm 71 with plenty of underlying issues. My Honda Express lube gets me in an out in 45 minutes and checks many items. The guys wear masks and that's about it in the way of sanitation. I just keep the mask on until I get home,then wipe everything down including the keys. Wash my hands and I'm done. I won't go to a Grease Monkey or other chains. The Xi virus can be avoided with some prudence.

#53 ·
Besides oil changes, how does one handle the situation of taking your vehicle in for any required state safety/emissions inspection/test?

Recently, one of my other vehicles was due for its emissions test.
Staying in the car is not an option.
Although I take a bottle of hand sanitizer with me for use after shopping at a grocery store, for the emissions test I also brought along a can of disinfectant spray to use on the interior and disinfectant wipes for the steering wheel, gear shift lever and other touch points.

For a situation where you have no choice but to let another driver operate your vehicle, what else, if anything, would you do?

#54 · (Edited)
Edit- this is for the ? of a full synthetic change or oil and good filter.

I've heard 60-75$? Maybe more?
Generally, they use a metered line, pressurized from a big drum, and usually of a lower grade oil.
But, I virtually never have my oil changed by someone, so I may not know for sure.

#55 ·
Funny,
I am a Healthcare provider. An APP.
While I realize that the Sars, Covid19 virus is real, and highly contageous- or so it seems,
there is a LOT of voodoo too.
Take my residence state of WI, they are haviung upticks in #'s, everyone and their dog are getting tested. There is a slight up tick in hospitalized patients too.
The overall mortality rate, is still just over 1%. This includes #'s like:
A motorcycle fatality- who was Covid +, virtually asymptomatic, died of the motorcycle crash= yet listed as a Covid death. Or the suicide patient, who was also Covid +, yep- covid death. Patient in Hospice from metastatic cancer, who also had covid- listed as a covid death, etc., etc.

Don't believe all the #'s these hyper partisan groups throw out to the MSM. Don't believe the polls either. Hilary did.
And don't believe more than about 20% of the drivel the MSDM feeds you their propaganda.

If you have a co morbidity, medical problems, and get Covid and you're over 60. Percentages are not good- JUST like it is for Influenza- another respiratory virus.

I'm 60, very healthy, swim Masters workouts 3 mornings a week, no diabetes, etc.
I wear a mask when I have to, like seeing patients at work, or when I go in a store. If I'm not at work seeing patients, then I don't use hand sanitizier on everything I touch.
I'm not saying you shouldn't, as I use a medical version of 'general precautions', and have for years as a healthcare provider seeing all kinds of contagious diseases. I rarely ever get sick. Have not had strep throat, nor Influenza, HIV, Hep B, Hep C, or Covid 19. Yes, I've seen positive cases.

Nothing wrong with being safe- just remember you still have, (at least for a few more weeks anyways) constitutional, un alienable rights.

Stay safe everyone.

#56 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.