·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Reactions: zmarke01

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
820 Posts
Some of these quick lube places use cheap oil (synthetic blend) and filters. It matters where you go. I'd be ok with the Valvoline oil change place if I couldn'tdo it myself, But they'd know up front.., don't touch the rest of my vehicle.
if it meets all the standards why does it matter. And I highly doubt going 6,000 miles on oil that’s slightly lesser quality than what you normally use would negatively impact the engine. I have family members who have never taken their cars anywhere but jiffy lube. Not defending them, but I honestly don’t believe it needs this much evaluation. Just get your oil changed when you need it.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
if it meets all the standards why does it matter. And I highly doubt going 6,000 miles on oil that’s slightly lesser quality than what you normally use would negatively impact the engine. I have family members who have never taken their cars anywhere but jiffy lube. Not defending them, but I honestly don’t believe it needs this much evaluation. Just get your oil changed when you need it.
Conventional or Synthetic Blend oils make for a dirty engine. Sludge is not good for the VTec (VVT filter screens). Combine that with a generic cheap filter is 💩. Oil is the life blood of your engine. Full synthetic oils are proven to be cleaner and better at protecting your engine from engine wear. Some more than others. Sad that some pay the lowest price at a quick lube and it's still double + what it would cost to DIY at home with full synthetic oil and a premium oil filter.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
820 Posts
Conventional or Synthetic Blend oils make for a dirty engine. Sludge is not good for the VTec (VVT filter screens). Combine that with a generic cheap filter is 💩. Oil is the life blood of your engine. Full synthetic oils are proven to be cleaner and better at protecting your engine from engine wear. Some more than others. Sad that some pay the lowest price at a quick lube and it's still double + what it would cost to DIY at home with full synthetic oil and a premium oil filter.
Well 6,000 miles aren’t gonna destroy your engine. Keep doing what you want, but it’s not the end of the world to go to one of those quick place.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Well 6,000 miles aren’t gonna destroy your engine. Keep doing what you want, but it’s not the end of the world to go to one of those quick place.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you go to Valvoline, you'll get an oil change that's fine, but more $$ than your dealer charges. For the time you've saved you'll be treated to a salesman pretending to be a tech that tells you you're way past your service interval on blinker fluid, showing you your barely dusty engine air filter with a disapproving stare, and showing you an imaginary service schedule that corresponds to nothing while claiming that you absolutely need that transmission flush today.

Two hours of quiet at the dealer beats 15 minutes of a BS sales pitch every time. I'd stand outside the dealer in the snow for two hours before I'd go back to Valvoline. Go into the showroom and take a nap in one of the new cars while they're working on yours. You'll get new car smell AND quiet.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
the video is twice as long as it had to be. 😪
Executive summary, please: ¿Bueno o no bueno?

So I am going to need an oil change in the next month or so and I’m not comfortable with my local dealership’s Covid precautions. I have several jiffy lube type and Oil Can Henry type places near me where I can sit in my car. Just wondering how I can use them, can I use their full synthetic oil? Do I need to get my own filter? This is my only option, I could not physically change my own oil. I am older and high risk for Covid.
Listen to all of the upsell you have to go through just to get an oil change:

Just go to Valvoline or jiffy lube. It’ll be fine. If they were as bad as everyone says they’d be out of business. Dealerships can be just as bad. Or they can be great.
If you go to Valvoline, you'll get an oil change that's fine, but more $$ than your dealer charges. For the time you've saved you'll be treated to a salesman pretending to be a tech that tells you you're way past your service interval on blinker fluid, showing you your barely dusty engine air filter with a disapproving stare, and showing you an imaginary service schedule that corresponds to nothing while claiming that you absolutely need that transmission flush today.

Two hours of quiet at the dealer beats 15 minutes of a BS sales pitch every time. I'd stand outside the dealer in the snow for two hours before I'd go back to Valvoline. Go into the showroom and take a nap in one of the new cars while they're working on yours. You'll get new car smell AND quiet.
In all these years, modern science has yet to come up with a safe and effective vaccine to protect the population at large from those Kwik-E-Lube places.

The only thing that's fully synthetic there is their unctuousness.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Executive summary, please: ¿Bueno o no bueno?
The Valvoline filter is well made. A middle of the road, cellulose paper filter. It's not "the can of death" like you will find at other quick lube places.

In all these years, modern science has yet to come up with a safe and effective vaccine to protect the population at large from those Kwik-E-Lube places.
Should have had real world skills taught in High School. A Vehicle Maitanance class would have been better than Wood Shop.
The only thing that's fully synthetic there is their unctuousness.
Valvoline is known for making good quality oils. It's sad they are profiteering off their name and giving consumers the 💩 instead of their best oils for the ridiculous price they charge.
As for other quick lube places, it's even worse quality. Mostly because the filter is usually a poorly made generic along with conventional or pathetic oil blends pumped from the bulk tank. If your oil is being pumped from those hanging hoses from the ceiling, your not buy a high quality oil.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Same concern here. I had to do a state inspection for annual registration. So, I got a pack of disposable seat and steering wheel covers. Photo is from Amazon, not my car.

View attachment 141038
Back in the day my local Honda dealer used plastic seat covers and paper floor mats to keep the interior clean from repair work. Not sure whether that practice stopped but it should be restarted. I wouldn't be surprised whether some repair shops are using some mixed bleach sprays or wipes on surfaces to protect the workers.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Back in the day my local Honda dealer used plastic seat covers and paper floor mats to keep the interior clean from repair work. Not sure whether that practice stopped but it should be restarted. I wouldn't be surprised whether some repair shops are using some mixed bleach sprays or wipes on surfaces to protect the workers.
Paper floor mats are still common. I've not seen the seat or steering wheel cover. I think I'd be fearful of the AC duct work, if a infected person was coughing or sneezing, the moisture in the system might be a petri dish.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
The Valvoline filter is well made. A middle of the road, cellulose paper filter. It's not "the can of death" like you will find at other quick lube places.
View attachment 141042

Should have had real world skills taught in High School. A Vehicle Maitanance class would have been better than Wood Shop.

Valvoline is known for making good quality oils. It's sad they are profiteering off their name and giving consumers the 💩 instead of their best oils for the ridiculous price they charge.
As for other quick lube places, it's even worse quality. Mostly because the filter is usually a poorly made generic along with conventional or pathetic oil blends pumped from the bulk tank. If your oil is being pumped from those hanging hoses from the ceiling, your not buy a high quality oil.
Agree with all, especially the part about teaching automobile maintenance instead of wood shop, or at least balance them out. Pretty much everybody has a car, but not that many have a homemade pine birdhouse. Curriculum administrators, take heed!

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
Even an hour spent on how to check the oil level and tire pressure would be useful for most people.
Learning how to replace wiper blades would be worthwhile, as well.
Some cars are no longer equipped with a spare tire, so being able to change a flat tire would count for extra credit.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I’m 66, single, I have health issues which put me at high risk for Covid and I‘m recovering from a broken foot. My dealership does not pickup vehicles for service. I will not wait in a stuffy waiting room for 2 hours while they change my oil. Yes, it takes them that long. I need to go someplace where I can sit in my car while they change my oil. I guess I will try Valvoline. Full synthetic oil and will make sure they have the correct filter.
Sounds like you shouldn’t be driving anywhere anyways is you are that scared. So oil change can wait. By the way even with health issues your chances of handling the virus are still excellent.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sounds like you shouldn’t be driving anywhere anyways is you are that scared. So oil change can wait. By the way even with health issues your chances of handling the virus are still excellent.
And there it is. There's always someone, somewhere that will call someone out that is being careful with their HEALTH and their LIFE as being "scared" and downplaying their informed, personal decision based on nothing.

Congrats on being that guy.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I’m 66, single, I have health issues which put me at high risk for Covid and I‘m recovering from a broken foot. My dealership does not pickup vehicles for service. I will not wait in a stuffy waiting room for 2 hours while they change my oil. Yes, it takes them that long. I need to go someplace where I can sit in my car while they change my oil. I guess I will try Valvoline. Full synthetic oil and will make sure they have the correct filter.
Maybe you can look into one of those mobile oil change services. They can do minor repairs and fluid change right at your home or work. I did a quick search in my area. The starting price is $79 with full synthetic oil.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Maybe you can look into one of those mobile oil change services. They can do minor repairs and fluid change right at your home or work. I did a quick search in my area. The starting price is $79 with full synthetic oil.
To add to that, don't know where you're located, but if you're in a northern clime where you switch to winter tires, some of the services that come to your home or office to swap tires also offer oil changes. Two birds with one stone.

·
Registered
2010 Pilot EXL
65 Posts
Understand your concerns.
I'm sure the oil change place will have the proper filter replacement.
Talk to then about the oils they offer. Full syn. is usually more,
I change my own however, but understand it's not an option for everyone.
Good Luck- you, and the Pilot will be Ok.
The qualty and trouble rates with the quickie lube places are a concern. I avoid them like the plague.

My advice is, wear a mask and gloves and go to a dealer. Honda has provided directives as well as your stste Dept of Health on operations. If your dealer is not following them, go to a different Honda dealer. My experience with Honda dealer service has been excellent during covid.

There is very little time that anyone will be in your car even at a dealer. As if you can drive your car to the service bay if you remain concerned. The service mechanic does not need to be in your car to do any maintenance operation, they can reach in to start the car if needed.

I presume you go grocery shopping and to Target/Walmart, this is a good deal less concerning.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts