Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
I live in Michigan and use the AC common before Packard had to go and invent stuff. The original AC method still works on 99% of all cars...works best at highway speeds, a good way to also test the sound system ;)

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I live in Michigan and use the AC common before Packard had to go and invent stuff. The original AC method still works on 99% of all cars...works best at highway speeds, a good way to also test the sound system ;)
Modern vehicles don't have vent windows or footwell vents either. It's amazing how much air moves in my '61 Impala at 30 mph with all the vents open.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Modern vehicles don't have vent windows or footwell vents either. It's amazing how much air moves in my '61 Impala at 30 mph with all the vents open.
Yes! My wife and I often talk about vent windows. I really the vent window and floor high beam switch I had on my '66 Olds F-85...not to mention the neck-jerk power I felt from stomping the pedal to the floorboard.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,184 Posts
Same on my '64 Valiant and even my Dodge van. Man, I miss vent windows, and I almost forgot about the footwell vents.

Floorboard highbeam switch I used to miss, too, but then realized rapid-flicking highbeams with the stalk is more effective for alerting boneheads.

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX 4WD
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Started changing out seats and carpeting yesterday.
First off Out With The Old, or The Big Empty.
View from rear. That old carpet was "Nasty".
Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Gas

Passengers front.
Hood Automotive tire Black Motor vehicle Bumper

Center passengers side. The silver/gold wiring is the sub-woofer wiring.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

Center drivers side. The red harness is the electronic trailer brake wiring.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive wheel system

Front drivers side. There was a mouse nest in the parking brake cable cavity. Glad I grabbed the metal cover plate out of the 08 EX. Cleaned up the rust and coated with 3M Professional Grade Rubberized Undercoating. The metal cover plate I painted with Rust-Oleum Gloss Black (But who's going to see it?)
Hood Auto part Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

I'll have more pictures later. I did get the rear 2/3rds of the replacement carpeting installed and the center row seats bolted down. Will be working on the wiring harness for the drivers seat, and AC Inverter today. The 06 LX didn't come prewired for these options.

The factory harness's both plug into the back side of both fuse boxes, run through dash and center console harness's in a round about way and I don't care to go through getting to the back side of the drivers side fuse box again.:rolleyes:

The harness I'll be making up will run along the harness to the passengers side fuse box, and I'll be using a pair of "Add-A-Line" fuse holders for the AC Inverter wiring which normally goes to the drivers side fuse box. I'll also be adding a light up switch for the AC Inverter so it isn't powered when not in use.

·
Registered
10,184 Posts
Nice process write-up with pics. (y)

Just one suggestion, if I may: Don't jump off the wagon cold turkey until the job is all done. Some of those blurry pictures look like you have the DTs.
Smile Font Circle Electric blue Event

·
Registered
11,316 Posts

Just one suggestion, if I may: Don't jump off the wagon cold turkey until the job is all done. Some of those blurry pictures look like you have the DTs. View attachment 152559
Now I'm not ready to say that @Cousin Itt was hittin the sauce when these photos were taken. It's not like the Jitter Bug phone takes great photos in the first place, so you might owe an apology. 🤣

·
Registered
10,184 Posts
Yeah, actually the pictures help. I believe the phone explanation, because I have an old hand-me-down phone and my pics are much worse even when I'm stone-cold sober.
Font Automotive lighting Electric blue Display device Logo

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
Reactions: Cousin Itt

·
Registered
10,184 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice work getting this thing going again. Curious, was the Pilot sitting with its windows down for awhile? Looks like a decent amount of water has been in the floor. Mine leaks into the front floor on both passenger and driver sides from somewhere above and it looks exactly like yours. I could never find the source of the water intrusion even after sealing every imaginable crack/seam/hole I could find so I ended up drilling some drain holes in the area underneath the RH fuse area and beneath the hood latch handle on the LH side so it doesn't pool up and soak into the padding and carpet. Just giving you some warning in case you replace the carpet and it gets wet the first time it rains...

Also hopefully you live in an area with fairly smooth roads or you don't use your power windows often, otherwise start stocking up on some window regulator assemblies. I stopped counting after the 8th replacement but I've started chucking the regs after they bite the bullet and locking the window up with PVC pipe. Not everyone appears to have this issue though.

Good luck in the rest of your endeavors! Always nice seeing another one back on the road.

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX 4WD
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·

Just one suggestion, if I may: Don't jump off the wagon cold turkey until the job is all done. Some of those blurry pictures look like you have the DTs. View attachment 152559
Photos were taken after everything was removed, I was so sore it was hard too hold the camera still.
Now I'm not ready to say that @Cousin Itt was hittin the sauce when these photos were taken. It's not like the Jitter Bug phone takes great photos in the first place, so you might owe an apology. 🤣
Photos taken with an old Kodak that was a deceased friend of mine. His widow gifted it to me.
Learned a lot on this thread about what lies beneath the carpet and headliner of the Pilot. The blurry carpet debris and mouse nests may have been intentional because a clear & graphic shots can’t be unseen.
Believe it or not what your seeing is after the neighbor had removed the seats once and cleaned the carpet in place by hosing it down, and trying to dry it out with a Shop-Vac. He had also hosed down, and scrubbed the seats while they were out. He dried those in the sun.
Yeah, actually the pictures help. I believe the phone explanation, because I have an old hand-me-down phone and my pics are much worse even when I'm stone-cold sober. View attachment 152568
Forgot to mention the photos were taken after my third pot of coffee.
Nice work getting this thing going again. Curious, was the Pilot sitting with its windows down for awhile? Looks like a decent amount of water has been in the floor. Mine leaks into the front floor on both passenger and driver sides from somewhere above and it looks exactly like yours. I could never find the source of the water intrusion even after sealing every imaginable crack/seam/hole I could find so I ended up drilling some drain holes in the area underneath the RH fuse area and beneath the hood latch handle on the LH side so it doesn't pool up and soak into the padding and carpet. Just giving you some warning in case you replace the carpet and it gets wet the first time it rains...

Also hopefully you live in an area with fairly smooth roads or you don't use your power windows often, otherwise start stocking up on some window regulator assemblies. I stopped counting after the 8th replacement but I've started chucking the regs after they bite the bullet and locking the window up with PVC pipe. Not everyone appears to have this issue though.

Good luck in the rest of your endeavors! Always nice seeing another one back on the road.
The vehicle sat closed up for 2-3 years before the neighbor got it. A colony of mice had moved in, and really made a mess out of everything. When I pulled up the carpeting there was that smell again. Yes the windows were open a couple of times when it rained when the neighbor had it. He wasn't around, and didn't leave a key. There is a small leak at the bottom passengers side of the windshield, it had been replaced and whoever did it didn't do a good job. That's on the to do list.

·
Registered
10,184 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Cousin Itt, I been meaning to ask -
I remember you said one of the timing belt pulley bolts broke when trying to remove.
I am curious though, if it was that stuck that it broke, how did a bolt extractor even manage to remove it?
I am not doubting you, it is more because I need to do the belt kit before long on my room mate's pilot and am thinking, "Is that gonna happen when I try to do the job too?" The unrelated repairs I have done, things were STUCK. Like having to drill out the sub frame bolt, ABS sensor, PS sensor stuck, and fighting with the rear diff fill plug.

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX 4WD
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Cousin Itt, I been meaning to ask -
I remember you said one of the timing belt pulley bolts broke when trying to remove.
I am curious though, if it was that stuck that it broke, how did a bolt extractor even manage to remove it?
I am not doubting you, it is more because I need to do the belt kit before long on my room mate's pilot and am thinking, "Is that gonna happen when I try to do the job too?" The unrelated repairs I have done, things were STUCK. Like having to drill out the sub frame bolt, ABS sensor, PS sensor stuck, and fighting with the rear diff fill plug.
The idler pulley bolt broke when the timing belt broke, when I pulled the timing belt lower cover off the idler pulley fell out. Not sure if the idler pulley failed taking out the belt, or if when the belt broke it rapped around the idler pulley and broke the bolt. The bolt head was spun welded into the idler pulley.

81 - 100 of 122 Posts