Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
61 - 80 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,159 Posts
Working around the weather to get this done. Have to keep stopping to clear the dew off of my glasses. At the point of installing the timing belt. We're under a heat advisory with heat indexes of between 100-105° with 81% humidity, and a dewpoint of 71°. Hopefully yhpurM doesn't show up. :rolleyes:
You’re the man for working in those conditions. Hopefully the install goes smoothly. And watch your fingers.🙂

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Not easy to do, make sure you take your time and take plenty of hydration breaks. Those of us who aren't trained mechanics sweat like pigs in a hot garage, it's worse to sweat like a pig AND make a mistake.

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX 4WD
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
You’re the man for working in those conditions. Hopefully the install goes smoothly. And watch your fingers.🙂
Down to reinstalling the passenger side motor mount bracket, timing covers etc.. Finger is still sore, but the rest of the week they're calling for rain.
Not easy to do, make sure you take your time and take plenty of hydration breaks. Those of us who aren't trained mechanics sweat like pigs in a hot garage, it's worse to sweat like a pig AND make a mistake.
Taking clean the glasses breaks, and keeping up with fluid intake.
Wish I had a garage, at least there would be shade.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Down to reinstalling the passenger side motor mount bracket, timing covers etc.. Finger is still sore, but the rest of the week they're calling for rain.

Dang, cooking in the sun is even less fun!

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,159 Posts

You gotta invest in one of those pop-up canopies. I couldn’t imagine working on a vehicle in the blazing heat. My limit is 90 degrees dry heat outside with a turbo fan blowing in my garage.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
336 Posts
No offense road2cycle and aggrex, but I lived in the Caribbean for 3 years - those canopies are about worthless in tropical heat. The humidity is the biggest problem, not the sun. Don't get me wrong, every little bit of shade helps - but shade provides little help when you're fighting 80% humidity.

Those canopies make great kites when tropical gusts hit though...you'd be surprised to see how far one of those suckers can fly in a tropical storm 😆

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,190 Posts
Working around the weather to get this done. Have to keep stopping to clear the dew off of my glasses. At the point of installing the timing belt. We're under a heat advisory with heat indexes of between 100-105° with 81% humidity, and a dewpoint of 71°. Hopefully yhpurM doesn't show up. :rolleyes:

Props

But perhaps consider the advantages of becoming a bona fide shade tree mechanic.

Meanwhile, I think I'll drink another throat-quenching swig of this refreshing beverage to your health.

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX 4WD
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Thought it was getting warmer 92° heat index 108°, 67% humidity dewpoint 78°.
Getting close motor mount, accessory drive belt & tensioner, tighten damper bolt left to do.
The splash shields can wait until I can get it in the shade.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,190 Posts
All done other than splash shields, ITT IS ALIVE!!!
It ain't over 'til the splash shields are installed, you post a pic and/or vid on Piloteers, and the fat lady sings.:p

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX 4WD
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
It ain't over 'til the splash shields are installed, you post a pic and/or vid on Piloteers, and the fat lady sings.:p
I'm leaving them off for a couple days. Put R134a with dye in it yesterday that I picked up just before the timing belt fiasco. Also need to figure out what I need to order to do the valve adjustment. It threw a P0304 code while I was installing the R134a. Not sure if that was a residual from the timing belt failure, so cleared the code and it hasn't returned after about 20 miles of driving.

Tell the "Fat Lady" to warm up those vocal cords.:p

Itt's home! (y)

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL- 227,700 Miles
732 Posts
Itt was more like "Totally Awesome" :p
Was like Itt couldn't wait to run. Barely turned the key, and Varoom! :D

Thank You! :)
Maaaaaaannnnn!!! So very Glad all was well. Seems I missed the compression tests? Oh well been tested NOW!!! 😁👍👍. Outstanding job @Cousin Itt Keep us posted

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX 4WD
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Maaaaaaannnnn!!! So very Glad all was well. Seems I missed the compression tests? Oh well been tested NOW!!! 😁👍👍. Outstanding job @Cousin Itt Keep us posted
I posted the compression test here.

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX 4WD
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Ok everyone, does RA have a gasket set that you would recommend for doing the valve adjustment procedure, or should I order OEM?

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
Ok everyone, does RA have a gasket set that you would recommend for doing the valve adjustment procedure, or should I order OEM?
I have used Fel-Pro and Apex successfully, even though a very well known YouTube mechanic says otherwise. I'm not one to open and close my valve covers multiple times. The biggest mistake that is made when installing a valve cover is installing the tube seals upside down and not lubricating them, massaging each one around the spark plug tubes ensuring that they do not pinch and not seal.
Yes, there are sets on RA.

61 - 80 of 122 Posts