Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX 4WD
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well folks here it is as it sits now.

Side view shows the boneyard roof rack from an 03 EX-L I picked up for $35.00, and the rear mud flaps.

Automotive side marker light Car Tire Plant Land vehicle

Above photo shows the OEM Tow-Package hitch I picked up at the boneyard for $25.00 The Rear Spoiler is off of an 04 EX-L. I thought it looked a bit sportier than the 06 Spoiler. Taillights are from 03-05 previous owner replaced a broken clear one with two red ones for half what the boneyard wanted for one clear. I like them better anyway.

Following photo shows the NOS AM/FM/Cassette/CD Player radio I installed to replace the original that had a bad CD Player. I need to slightly enlarge the trim piece opening to accommodate the radio. I also needed to use an antenna adaptor to hook up to the older (2005) model radio. Also added rear sub-woofer from an 04 EX-L.

I need to find a headliner for the 06-08 model years as the original was destroyed by mice. Man was that a stinky mess. I found out the hard way that 03-05 won't fit due to the side curtain air-bags.

So far the other maintenance I've performed is Timing Belt Kit, High Pressure Power Steering Hose, Front, & Rear Brakes, Rear Shocks, replaced Rear Bumper Reinforcement, did 1st Transmission drain/refill, Transfer Case drain/refill, and Rear Differential drain/refill. The previous owner had replaced the Radiator, Alternator, Air Tube, and Starter within the past two years. I also added an electric trailer brake controller.
I'll be doing the 2nd Trans drain/refill when we go up north to see the SIL next week, and when we return the 3rd drain/refill along with adding the Tow-Package Trans, & PS coolers that I scavenged off of the same 03 EX-L that the hitch came off of. I cleaned up and painted the coolers today, and here they are.

So that's about it for now, but it doesn't look too bad for a vehicle with 271K miles under it's belt.

Cousin Itt

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Besides all the great work done and pics of your Pilot the headliner-less pic perked my interest….the roof supports look substantial

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX 4WD
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Asking for a friend….you have in your possession the last “unicorn” Pilot fender flares to be found in Wisconsin?
No, they're on the looking for list also, maybe also a pair of the running boards. The 03 that I got parts from had the side steps, but I like the running boards more so. They're now gone.

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX 4WD
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking great for 270k! I like the 06+ front ends alot. Makes the Pilot look more like a truck imo.
The body is quite solid throughout, I've been cleaning up and undercoating the underside to make it a bit more Wisconsin winter resistant. I saw a video that showed where the rear subframe bolts to the unibody rotted out, this one is solid. When my neighbor got the vehicle it was Florida titled. The original owner had passed away, and his son had been driving it when the alternator died. He isn't very mechanically inclined, so the past few years of maintenance were kind of iffy. The vehicle sat for 2-3 years before my neighbor got it.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,236 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX 4WD
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good work, and it feels like a labor of love. (y)

Now following this thread... :)
We had been looking for a few months for something to replace the Jeep due to the unibody frame rail rusting away to the point that the rear drivers side leaf spring front mount is about ready to come through the floor. We were looking in the $2,500-$3,000 price range and almost everything in that range was another rust bucket. I tried for about six months to get the wife to test drive this Pilot, but being from a UAW family she just wouldn't do so until I informed her that it was built in Alabama. She then said " Ok I'll test drive it". When she finally did she said " Yeah I could get used to this, ask Bruce what he wants for it." When I informed her that he wanted to just recover what he had in it (About $1800.00) she said "Grab it!" I knew it needed some work, but I was mainly looking for a good solid body that would allow me to keep the mechanicals attached to. I had driven the Pilot a few times, and found it to be a quite comfortable ride. So this is where it stands now. I did also take care of the one small rust spot just behind the rear passengers side door. I still need to go through the AC system, but that can wait until we get back from the SIL's.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,579 Posts
Regarding the headliner replacement, what did that entail and how would you rate the difficulty? Mine is starting to sag and I’m trying to determine if it’s worth paying $500 to have someone else do it or if it’s something relatively straight forward for me to try.

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX 4WD
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Regarding the headliner replacement, what did that entail and how would you rate the difficulty? Mine is starting to sag and I’m trying to determine if it’s worth paying $500 to have someone else do it or if it’s something relatively straight forward for me to try.
You have to remove the upper B Post, C Post, & D Post trim along with the ceiling lights, door, & liftgate weather stripping, sun visors, along with the seat belts where they go through the ceiling and upper post trims. From there it's a matter of wiggling it free and removing it through the rear hatch. Takes a couple hours of time, but I'm not quite as fast as I used to be, my get up and go done got up and went.

I'm not that concerned with sagging fabric, if I have to I'll strip the fabric and foam off and paint the form with some of that stone look craft paint. The original form was beyond repair because of mice chewing through it in a few places, and it was soaked through with mouse piss.

Be aware though that 2003-2005 only fit those years due to 2006-2008 having been changed to cover the side curtain airbags. The upper post trim is also different between those two groups. I'd say DAMHIKT but I learned it the hard way.

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX 4WD
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, 3rd transmission D/R and installation of tow-pack coolers and Filtran filters completed.
Also did D/R of the power steering and cleaned the reservoir the screen was about half plugged.
Here's a few photos of the days work.
First the coolers I installed today.

The original (Stock) power steering cooler before removal.

A comparison of the stock versus tow-package power steering cooler.

Tow-Package cooler with Filtran filter attached.

Where I tucked the Filtran filter. for the power steering. Not very many places to fit it.

View from power steering reservoir area.

Thought I could get slick and install the transmission cooler without removing the bumper cover, I removed it from the 03 through the grill opening but trying to install it that way on the 06 was a no go. Also had to remove splash shield to gain working room, and access to transmission lines.

The Filtran filter for the transmission viewed from front. Another tight location to fit into.

Viewed from above.

There was very little build up on the transmission drain plug, and the fluid wasn't very dirty with about 300 miles on it this time. Also took about 4 1/2 quarts due to added cooler and draining the radiator cooler during install of transmission cooler. I should be good to go for awhile now.

I still have to reinstall the splash shield but I think I'll do it in the morning.

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX 4WD
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
While I'm waiting on the fog light kit, I guess I may as well start trying to figure out the A/C.
Noticed the other day that the rear fan doesn't work so I guess I'll start there. I'm sure when I take the center counsel apart I'll find more mouse nests. They seem to have found their way in everywhere! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX 4WD
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks to @xGS I now have the instructions for the fog light kit. (y)
Just waiting on U.P.S. and the rain to quit, then the fun can begin. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX 4WD
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Started on the fog-light kit install this morning, did the under hood part of the install first. This is the under hood harness.

Had a fun time finding the blue taped connector that the fog-light harness attaches to on the vehicle harness. It is located below the left (drivers side) headlight along side of the air resonator box. It was covered with grime which made it hard to spot. You must remove the air cleaner box to gain access to this area.

You also need to connect the fog-light harness ground to the vehicle ground terminal.

The fog-light harness then gets ran along the vehicle harness along the top of the radiator, and out the front passengers side.

On the 06-08 model years there is no cutting of the front bumper cover. You simply remove the filler blanks from the rear of the bumper cover.

Passengers side.

Drivers side.

And replace them with the fog-light assemblies.

Took about two hours with a smoke and coffee break included. ;)

All that's left to do under the hood is install the fuse once I do the inside the vehicle work, which I'll get started doing when the wife returns from the grocery store.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts