Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not yet taken possession of my Pilot, but in anticipation, I have a few questions regard the operation of the factory radios.

1. The radio head unit for a NAVI model is like the basic CD/Cass /Tuner combo you get with the RES outfit. Right? Except that the RES head unit has a button to the left of the cassette slot. (I can see this on Honda's interior photos on their website.) What does that button do?

2. If one were to get the CD changer option, does the head unit have the extra button?

3. I want to know how the audio from both the CD changer and DVD and input into the head unit. Can some please open up their dash and figure this out? J/K For those who have opened the dash up, and there are a few out there, please inform me. Is there a plug receptacle in the back that is not populated that "could" serve as the input to an auxiliary input? TIA

What I am leading up to is an explanation of how the DVD audio is input and then, more importantly, how is it processed. Does the DVD audio only get fed into the rear speakers? (Thus allowing the front passengers, who aren't supposed to be watching, to listen to another source, such as a CD or the radio)

My Pilot will be NAVI and I am looking to install a flip-down monitor and axillary inputs only! Nothing else ('cept maybe a power inverter) will be a permanent install. Why spend a nice chuck on DVD player that is to permanently reside in transportation? Instead, use a portable. With a portable, you can.......well you can imagine.

Anyway, I am trying, like some of you, I suspect, to do a DVD install by myself. I am trying to piece meal together the necessary hardware and have a few lingering questions. (Some are above)

My goal will be for a clean, non-destructive dash mount for the portable with the necessary wiring being conveniently hidden/stored. The output of the portable should be routed to the flip-down monitor with the audio routed (hopefully) through the head unit to the rear speakers AND additionally to the flip-down monitor's IR transmitter. (Plus the AUX audio should be similarly routed with the AUX video routed to both the flip-down monitor and (hopefully) the input of the portable.

So does anyone have any ideas or questions? I am certainly open to suggestion.

Thanks,

ChrisR
:1:

·
Registered
342 Posts
1. It controls treble, bass, face, and balance
2. Mine does and I have the changer
3. My DVD is aftermarket (I have the Navi) and it transmits sound to the head unit by broadcasting it on 89.1 FM. I would be interested to hear what any "dash crackers" know though.

With the Navi and CD changer options you aren't going to have a lot of dash space left. Heres a picture of mine. As you can see, there is absolutely zero space left in the center console if you have Navi and CD Changer installed. My CD changer unit is under the driver's seat but is controlled via the head unit.

My aftermarket DVD is mounted in the glove compartment. We open the glove compartment, put in the DVD, and close it. All controlling from that point forward is handled by a handheld remote. In the picture, if you look to the right of my keys, you will see the DVD's shiny black infrared control port.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Radio

Houton Pilot,

I'll try to answer some of your questions. Here goes:

1. The button to the left of the cassette slot is the Rear Power Button for the Rear Entertainment System (RES).

2. If you add an OEM CD Changer to the RES or NAVI Head Unit, the 14-pin Changer Bus Cable plugs directly into the rear of the Head Unit. The CD Changer is selected by pressing the CD/CD Changer Button above the right edge of the cassette slot. I installed an Alpine CHA-S634 CD Changer in my EXL-RES Pilot with a a Blitzsafe HONDA/XM DMX PIO.1D Adapter and an Alpine KCA-130B (Ai-Net to MBus). This Blitzsafe adapter has dual connections: 1 for the Alpine CD Changer & 1 for a Pioneer XM Tuner Connection. This eliminates the need for any FM modulations. This link explains the Interface Cable!

3. As I stated in # 2, the CD Changer is connected to the 14-pin Changer slot immediately to the left (as looking at the rear of the Head Unit)of the 20-pin main radio harness. The DVD controls plug into both wiring slots B (16-pin) & C(22-pin).

If you are ordering a NAVI and want to install a DVD player, there are two easy options:

1. Buy the DVD Entertainment System from Honda and use FM Modulation. Not very cost effective, and not the best quality using modulation.

2. You can buy the Blitzsafe HONDA/AUX DMX interface adapter that plugs directly into the CD Changer slot on the Head Unit. This converts the CD Bus Cable to RCA Input Plugs. You could install a DVD player and route the audio to these plugs and the video to the screen. This will play the audio from the DVD Player to all speakers when the CD Changer is selected. The power & ground must be wired directly. However, you could not listen to a different source in the front as compared to the rear (This is the main reason for the REAR POWER Button...That is unless you have supplied wireless headphones for the rear passengers and fade the sound you want to the front. (This way the CD Changer Button is not selected, and sound will only travel to the headphones)

There is also another adapter from Blitzsafe you may consider. The HON /ALP DMXV.1D adapter contains both RCA inputs and a CD Changer input. You could install both a OEM Changer or Alpine Changer & you have RCA Inputs for either DVD Player or MP3 player. Both of these are controlled with the CD Changer button. Just toggle between them by pressing the "+" button then the "-" on the lower right of the Head Unit quickly after the CD Changer function is activated. If the Changer is playing, it displays the CD and Track (ex. "4-5"). If the RCA Cable part is selected, it displays "1-99".

Blitzsafe adapter link!

I posted this wiring diagram a while back. Sorry for the distortion!

If you have any detailed questions email me or IM me.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Well, I guess I loused that one up. :bonk:

Thanks for setting it straight SteveLuman!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chuck and Steve,

Thanks for the great responses. I have a few follow up questions.

1. For Chuck the button to the left of the cassette slot is for T,B,B&F. For Steve it turns on the rear DVD power. Both might be true, if so Steve where are your T,B,B&F functions accessed?

2. Steve, when you do "Turn On" the DVD power, can you listen to another source up front while the rear speakers play the DVD audio content? This is my goal.

3. As far as mounting a portable up front, where would you guys think might work? I was thinking of just setting it on the center console underneath the "ashtray" area. Can someone please tell me how wide it is between the console ridges? From memory I am guessing 8"-9". Hopefully this will be wide enough to hold a portable and ,in a perfect world, all the connections to the portable would be done on the back of the unit. This might not be the best viewing position, but hey the front passengers aren't supposed to be watching anyway. I am just looking for control over the DVD player. (My 18 month old has a while before he could master the remote)

4. Does anyone know of a flip down monitor that has a TV tuner built in?

5. Steve, have you had any luck rescanning those wiring diagrams? I would really like to get a good copy of them. Where did you get them?

Again, thanks for any input.

ChrisR
:1:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Chris,

1. There is a mode button on the top right corner of the RES Head Unit. I use this for Bass, Treble, Fade & Balance.

2. Yes, The button to the left of the cassette slot is the Rear Power Button for the Rear Entertainment System (RES). It is only on the RES stereo, not the NAVI. I can listen to different sources across the front speakers and the wireless headsets. I can even listen to one source across all speakers and another source through the headphones. If you use the adapter with the RCA plugs, you can achieve different sources through the speakers & the wireless headphones. The audio output from the DVD player must be split. One set goes to the display unit. This will allow audio to the wireless headphones. The other set goes to the adapter plugs. This will allow the sound to go through the speakers if the Changer function is selected. If you have the DVD sound running through the speakers, a different source (FM, etc. can not be sent through the headphones without the RES Head Unit)...at least not easily wired. However, if you have FM, etc. selected on the Head Unit, you will still be able to hear the DVD on the Headphones.

3. I'm not sure of the dimensions between the console ridges. I'm driving the Accord today, so I'll check later. The DVD Player may be mounted there if there is room or in the glove box.

4. I'm sure that there are many flip-down units that have the inputs for a tuner. Some probably have a tuner built in, but I'm not sure. I would try to install a DVD system like ChuckW's. The only difference would be to split the Audio outputs to the interface adapter plugs and to the display instead of using modulation.

5. I'll have to track down the diagrams and email you a copy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts