Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Could VCMuzzler, VCM Tuner, S-VCM, etc. Be Sued By The Feds?

3K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Jack Vogt 
#1 ·
Check out the article below... could our beloved VCM disablers suffer the same fate? I'm not intimately familiar with the company, I believe the most popular device I saw on the Silverado forum was the Range displacement-on-demand disabler.

I'd love to hear @verbatim opinion on this... did this manufacturer not have the proper legal disclaimers on the product and their website?

#2 ·
I don't know about the product in that article but I would say that the VCM devices are ok. They are not defeating or bypassing any emissions control device. Think of CARB certification of superchargers. As long as they can prove that they are working with the factory emissions control equipment without altering those components in any way, they pass even if they increase fuel consumption.

#3 ·
Disclaimers are notoriously weak defenses in court. All they accomplish is prove you knew about the law you were violating. I think VCM can "pollute" the engine with unburned oil and carbon, and possibly the environment as well. Plus it can load up the land fills with scrapped engines, transmissions, catalytic converters and engine mounts.😱

VCM disablers arguably help protect the environment.

#4 ·
If I drove around with a CEL on, VCM would never turn on. It's not illegal to drive around with a constantly illuminated CEL, so I don't think disabling VCM would be illegal.

My logic may be completely illogical but oh well.
I don't care if it's illegal. Nobody is going to inspect my vehicle for a device that tricks the ECT1 sensor and If they did, we've got bigger problems.

#6 ·
The VCM disablers are NOT defeating any emissions controls or devices. Apples and Oranges.
They don't in any way 'increase' HP/TQ, etc.

Reactions: plplplpl and aggrex
#8 ·
Interesting. The issue for VCM disables might be that they undermine CAFE standards.
I would argue they do defeat an emissions control device. The engine was certified under as-delivered conditions and tested with the VCM system active. There is no disputing that the VCM system does increase fuel economy which decreases emissions. While most of us feel the efficiency increase is negligible compared to the potential damage that can be caused, I think we all agree there is a small gain with VCM active.

I'm not trying to argue, trying to talk this through and see what we learn as a group of enthusiasts.

I find this to be a scary proposition, because if this type of product gets removed from the marketplace we may be forced to endure all of these horrible systems.

#11 ·
I would argue they do defeat an emissions control device. The engine was certified under as-delivered conditions and tested with the VCM system active. There is no disputing that the VCM system does increase fuel economy which decreases emissions. While most of us feel the efficiency increase is negligible compared to the potential damage that can be caused, I think we all agree there is a small gain with VCM active.

I'm not trying to argue, trying to talk this through and see what we learn as a group of enthusiasts.

I find this to be a scary proposition, because if this type of product gets removed from the marketplace we may be forced to endure all of these horrible systems.
I couldn't agree more!

#18 · (Edited)
If you took all the VCM disablers in existence, I doubt combined they'd make enough difference to the corporate average fuel economy across all models to make a difference worth pursuing as undermining the ability to reach the target average number. And even failing to do so, the penalties are rather mild and only apply to the corporation, not their customers. I'm not under any obligation to reach any level of miles per gallon with my car. I believe it's only the mileage achieve on the vehicles submitted for testing to the EPA or whoever certifies the lies for the window sticker to make you think you are getting a fuel efficient car.

#10 ·
That's one good thing about VCMuzzler and S-VCM made and shipped from Canada. It's like getting in Tijuana what might not be so easy to get in San Diego. :)

#19 ·
Frankly, the more I think about this the more it looks like much ado about nothing. If I understand correctly the article that cintocrunch cited, EZ Lynk created a product that deliberately defeated federally required emissions equipment on cars. If that is right, the fed is probably justified going after them. VCM disablers on the other hand are products that deliberately defeat equipment created by the geniuses in Honda engineering, which is not necessarily required by law to meet CAFE standards. So to the OP's original question, "could our beloved VCM disablers suffer the same fate?" More than likely, no. I think it is more probable that if Honda wises up to all this VCM tomfoolery, they could start issuing more strongly worded communications to owners about only using "Honda genuine parts", or increased warranty limitations and disclaimers, to further shield themselves from whatever they don't like.

#20 ·
But VCM was created so that Honda could achieve certain MPG ratings on their vehicles.
I'm not concerned because I live in a free state that doesn't inspect vehicles (other than emissions) and I just don't think they care enough. VCM muzzling devices used on such a small percentage of vehicles I doubt the government really has time or desire to enforce all of this. I also doubt they're gonna go after the individuals who invented these products. Just not worth their time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.