Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have had a dealer or independent service provider replace the front struts on a 2005 Pilot, what did it cost you? My independent Honda guy wants $800-1000 to do it with KYB struts, depending on whether the springs get replaced. That's just for the struts...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Paid under $200 each for KYB preloaded that comes with new mounts and boots from Rock Auto. Labor for that job was 2 1/2 hours at $80 an hour. I also had new control arms, stabilizer links and tie rods done at the same time to save on labor since I knew it would be done eventually over time.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Remember that alignment has to be done as well if all those suspension components are replaced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just replaced my 2005 pilot struts/springs, links, and rear shocks. Parts were $230 for a pair of TRQ struts with springs and pair of sway bar links from 1AAuto.com, and $75 for a pair of rear KYB shocks off Amazon, including delivery.

I did the work myself, took about 5 hours. If you're considering doing the work it is well worth it and not that complicated a job if you are reasonably good with a wrench and following youtube videos.

And yes, then took it to the shop to get it aligned at going rates.

These 1AAuto discount struts from China seem ok so far, ride is decent. I went with these based on others feedback on this forum...

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced the struts today - got the KYB struts/springs from RockAuto (cost $325 with the Piloteers discount). Took about 2.5 hours, had some trouble with installing the right strut getting the 3 top bolts lined up properly (the left was easy for some reason). And $95 for an alignment at Just Tires (both front wheels needed toe adjustments, expected that).

So instead of $1000 I paid about $420 and got an excellent upper body workout. I'm sure to feel that tomorrow! :smile:

·
Registered
741 Posts
Bought Gabriel from RockAuto. I replaced the right strut assembly today. Installed the lower bolts and slide the strut assembly up into the top. As I did this, I slid a jack stand under the lower control arm to hold it in place. Did this to get the bolts thru the holes. Only problem was getting the sway bar link off. Nuts were so rusted on, that I wound up cutting them off.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I usually end up cutting nuts or links themselves, they do rust solid all the time. I too looked into Gabriel's but not yet sold on them. No name is no name.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Only problem was getting the sway bar link off. Nuts were so rusted on, that I wound up cutting them off.
An all too common experience. Ask me how I know. A badass blowtorch can also come in handy. :frown:

·
Registered
117 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
I usually end up cutting nuts or links themselves, they do rust solid all the time. I too looked into Gabriel's but not yet sold on them. No name is no name.
Gabriel's aren't no name. Company has been around for over 100 years.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just had front struts and back shocks replaced on my 08. I had Gabriel struts put on first and they were extremely noisy. I had them swapped out for KYBs. Night and day.
Total for everything was $1050

1 - 12 of 12 Posts