Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My odometer currently says 99168 miles. I recently bought it so it passed the state safety inspection. The Honda dealership gave me the following quote for 100k miles manufacturer recommended maintenance.

- Replacement of timing belt, water pump, and serpentine belt - USD 1355

Is that reasonable? I live in the DC area.

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
Seems prices are high in large metro areas, but you do have a little time. The service is due at 105k. You might use that time to bargain shop for a lower priced solution. As @aggrex stated, the Aisin Timing Belt Water Pump kit (TKH002) is a great option. It provides OE quality parts at a reduced price. Independent mechanics may install this for you for a significant savings over a dealership. Online cost of this kit on RockAuto is around $180. The Serpentine belt can also be purchased on RockAuto for around $17 (Bando 6PK2135) .
This savings will also help you with the cost of replacing your 6 NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs (90074) which is also recommended to change. These are about $80 from RockAuto.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I live in NoVa and had the timing belt replaced on my 2012 Pilot about a year ago.

All the dealers near me quoted around $1,350 too. I ended up driving further to a trusted independent shop in Arlington that did the job for $1,080 (timing belt tensioner too).

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,857 Posts
My odometer currently says 99168 miles. I recently bought it so it passed the state safety inspection. The Honda dealership gave me the following quote for 100k miles manufacturer recommended maintenance.

- Replacement of timing belt, water pump, and serpentine belt - USD 1355

Is that reasonable? I live in the DC area.
The Honda 105K service is the big one that is extensive. Unless you are mechanically inclined and can do the job your self or you have a good independent mechanic that can do the job, probably for a couple hundred less, then that is a good price.

Keep in mind if the timing belt goes you are lookout at 5k to 10k for a new/rebuilt motor.

When was the last time the spark plugs were changed. 100K is the recommended interval for spark plugs replacement.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Unless you are mechanically inclined and can do the job your self or you have a good independent mechanic that can do the job, probably for a couple hundred less, then that is a good price.
Even if you are mechanically inclined, unless you're pretty experienced I think you'll wonder how a pro can make money only charging $1000. or so, including parts. Most first-timers (myself included) report spreading the job over two days.

If this is a Pilot you just bought, you might consider finding a good independent Honda mechanic and get a thorough once-over of the vehicle. It might be helpful to have someone make a roadmap for recommended maintenance for you.

As NailGrease noted, you're not due for this service for another 5k miles. I agree that taking that time to shop around and develop a plan will save you a lot of money and maximize the lifespan of your car. There's a lot of that work that's easy and cheap to do yourself. This forum and YouTube are amazing resources to get started with.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought the parts for the job, the Aisin kit, pads, rotors and a couple other things from Rock Auto for around $500. I have a very experienced mechanic doing the work as a side job, he told me to plan on about 10 hours, spread over 2 days.

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
Hopefully got the NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs as part of the deal.
Its also a great time to drain the radiator and replace all the coolant since you loose half of it when removing the old water pump. It requires 2 gallons of 50/50 blue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hopefully got the NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs as part of the deal.
Its also a great time to drain the radiator and replace all the coolant since you loose half of it when removing the old water pump. It requires 2 gallons of 50/50 blue.
I am yet to do the service since I still have time. I have decided to take your advice and go for the Iridium spark part as part of the deal. Regarding the flushing of the coolant, the dealer confirmed that that service is included in their offer.

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
I am yet to do the service since I still have time. I have decided to take your advice and go for the Iridium spark part as part of the deal. Regarding the flushing of the coolant, the dealer confirmed that that service is included in their offer.
Very good.
I specifically mention this OE NGK spark plug because Honda engines can begin misfiring on other brands that are lower priced.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,177 Posts
The price you were quoted $1350 is about the price I’d expect to pay in my area if the timing belt tensioner was included along with the other items you listed. For comparison purposes dealer shop rate is $175 per hour where I live.

You can normally find a timing belt coupon or a $xxx off if you spend >$1k at the dealership so kept your eyes open for those. If you wait until you pass 100k miles some dealers offer repair discounts to their “high mileage” members.

I didn’t see anyone mention the valve adjustment as part of the 105k service. That’s something you should plan for in the coming months as well.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
37 Posts
Lots of great advice here. I think the main takeaways are:
  • the price you were quoted might be slightly high, but overall is within the ranges you can expect to see for the 105k miles maintenance.
  • I’d be sure all the other scheduled maintenances that occur between 90k-110k have been done, including some of the ones that should’ve been done before that already. Along with the timing belt and water pump and tensioner..... there’s spark plugs, valve adjustments, coolant system flush and refill, auto transmission drain and fill, transfer case drain and fill, rear differential drain and fill, and overall checking not just fluids but reservoirs, hoses, clamps, etc. for cracking/wearing. I just did ALL of these things for my recently purchased 2013 touring AWD with 107,000 miles for a little under $2k. Once all these things are done you should be good to go for another 100,000 miles needing only the basic maintenances (oil, breaks, fluids, etc.)
  • always go for oem parts and the recommended spark plugs.
  • regarding the timing belt/water pump. It’s not rocket science. But...it is something that needs to be done just right. A failed timing belt is catastrophic and will almost always result in a destroyed engine that needs to be at least rebuilt and more often than not replaced.

I hope your pilot gives you as much enjoyment as ours does. I know this is an expensive scheduled maintenance. But once it’s done you have smooth sailing for another 100,000 miles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts