Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opinions on the attached picture of OEM thermostat cover. Scraped off all of crusty dried coolant that may have leaked out over the years. Replacement OEM thermostat cover $69 versus Gates $12 from Rock Auto. OEM thermostat $47 versus Gates $18. Big difference in the prices. Anyone have experience with non-OEM?
2370F4A2-2763-4CEA-977F-BD720FF11F34.jpeg
DC443CBD-A8CC-4810-8D57-B2314BCF5C5B.jpeg

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition
182 Posts
Opinions on the attached picture of OEM thermostat cover. Scraped off all of crusty dried coolant that may have leaked out over the years. Replacement OEM thermostat cover $69 versus Gates $12 from Rock Auto. OEM thermostat $47 versus Gates $18. Big difference in the prices. Anyone have experience with non-OEM?
View attachment 140485 View attachment 140486
Is this the old part? If you could hit it a bit with a metal brush you should reuse....looks in prett solid condition (aside the surface corrosion)

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup that’s the old thermostat cover. After scraping off the crusty dried coolant I think the pitting is too deep and could leak even with a new hose/clamp. I’ve seen some auto repair shops coat the pitted thermostat cover with some white plumbing sealant.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition
182 Posts
Heck, might be worth a shot with using the sealant for say a few days...see if it does the trick. If not, revisit your options?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,250 Posts
I’ve seen some auto repair shops coat the pitted thermostat cover with some white plumbing sealant.
Heck, might be worth a shot with using the sealant for say a few days...see if it does the trick. If not, revisit your options?
One has to wonder what temperature range (low to high) that sealant stuff is good for. I wouldn't want to revisit the job later at what is usually an inconvenient time. I'd just get the Gates and be done with it.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One has to wonder what temperature range (low to high) that sealant stuff is good for. I wouldn't want to revisit the job later at what is usually an inconvenient time. I'd just get the Gates and be done with it.
Agreed. Macgyver would say the right plumbing sealant could work but I really like to get the job done ✅ once and done especially where the thermostat resides down in the engine bay. The Gates parts are listed as direct OEM replacement. and the price difference is incredible.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition
182 Posts
Yes, correct...to clarify sealant could theoretically work but yet at best it would be a bandaid job....and for the $30 for both Gates parts, worth trying out IMO. Maybe will be a worth aftermarket brand to OEM?

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Save your money. This part still has plenty of life in it. Soak it in a cup of CLR, rinse thoroughly.
Permatex makes a variety of silicones for different aplications. This is what I'd use.

I used high heat Black Permatex in place of Honda Bond on a spool job. That was 50k miles ago and still holding. They make good stuff.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Save your money. This part still has plenty of life in it. Soak it in a cup of CLR, rinse thoroughly.
Permatex makes a variety of silicones for different aplications. This is what I'd use.
View attachment 140493
I used high heat Black Permatex in place of Honda Bond on a spool job. That was 50k miles ago and still holding. They make good stuff.
Great I forgot about Permatex! I know I got some in the garage somewhere. When running gas lines or sewer lines the plumbers luv that pipe joint compound probably for the similar reasons.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I have seen worse being used .. Grab some Permatex like others stated and run with it .. a wire brush could clean it up a little more but it's just a cover.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Keep that in the trunk for emergencies ...approved by Macgyver
Ya, maybe to good. A nightmare when you need to get it cleaned off if you had to replace a thermostat.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks like that corroded thermostat housing may have been leaking or soon to burst. The Pilot TLC continues...
C3837501-565D-414B-869C-61EEBB836B8B.jpeg

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,250 Posts
So I didn't look to see like you did, but when I changed my radiator last winter, I also changed the upper and lower hoses as well as the thermostat, operating in accordance with something between the Precautionary Principle and Murphy's Law.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Honda dealer did the TB in 2014. Went to Honda parts to buy Honda special sauce coolant and the parts guy said since the coolant is green >>> use Prestone :p
975B3466-97CD-4A9F-98C4-7ACC6F50A5A1.jpeg

FYI: the radiator support has been treated for rust and looks wonderful.
220339B5-FFC2-4EC0-947F-33EAD4A6B2CF.jpeg

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Honda dealer did the TB in 2014. Went to Honda parts to buy Honda special sauce coolant and the parts guy said since the coolant is green >>> use Prestone :p View attachment 140604
FYI: the radiator support has been treated for rust and looks wonderful.
View attachment 140605
Best put the cap on. You will let out your green goblin!

My 17 is already green!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts