Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My ‘16 EX-L AWD with 60k is having AC issues. It’s not blowing cold air. The compressor is engaging. I put gauges on the system and I’m seeing about 65psi on the low side and 75psi on the high side. Does anyone know what the correct pressure should be in these R1234YF systems? Outside air temperature is about 68 degrees F.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
847 Posts
There should be a sticker under the hood that references the correct amount of refrigerant. Pressure is one thing, amount of refrigerant is another.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There should be a sticker under the hood that references the correct amount of refrigerant. Pressure is one thing, amount of refrigerant is another.
How else would you measure the amount of refrigerant in the system if not with a gauge set?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks like my compressor may be the culprit from what I’m reading as I have high (low side) pressure and low (high side) pressure. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,283 Posts
Thanks. This chart references R132A but our Pilots use R1234yf. The troubleshooting chart at the bottom is still helpful.

·
Registered
847 Posts
How else would you measure the amount of refrigerant in the system if not with a gauge set?
Once your compressor issue is resolved, a professional will pull a vacuum on the system for a half hour or so. This removes air, which also removes moisture from the system. Air/moisture kill a/c performance. The vehicle is then started and refrigerant by weight (on the sticker) is added to the system. Again, pressure is one thing, amount of refrigerant is another.

Reactions: zmarke01

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
Fully evacuated system takes 24oz of R1234YF refrigerant to fully charge. You should be seeing around 25psi on the low side and close to 200psi on the high side at 70F.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much. I have to replace the compressor. I’ve read about people using R134-A instead of R1234-YF since it’s so much cheaper and has similar characteristics. I know it’s not technically recommend (environmental concerns and all) but are you aware of any other downside? I understand the process of pulling a vacuum on the system and holding it to ensure there’s no leaks before adding oil and refrigerant. I did this recently on my wife’s previous vehicle (‘06 Xterra). Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts