·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2013 CPO Pilot that currently has 80,000 on the clock. Noticed
while changing the oil this weekend that the coolant overflow tank
has only a small amount of fluid, so I'm interested in purchasing enough
to partially fill the tank.

Also own a 2006 CRV that has the same issue.

So this is a two part question.

Do both vehicles use the same fluid ?

Does Honda sell this in quart bottles or
only the lifetime supply gallon jugs ?

I'm only interested in using Honda OEM fluids,

and I'm willing to pay stealership prices.

Thanks in advance !

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Prestone also sells the Blue juice at your local walmart. It comes in a small jug I pick one up just for topping off purposes.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Would be interesting to find out where it's going. Local chain parts places (autozone, advanced auto, etc) will free-rent a cooling system pressure tester. On a cold engine, attach the tester to the radiator cap fitting and push 12 PSI or so in there. Then start looking for dribbles. Doing this cold means that any leaking coolant won't evaporate as it might on a hot engine. Plus there's less chance of getting burned or losing fingers in the whirling blades if all that is off.

Check the level in the radiator itself when you remove the cap. Cold, it should still be full-full. If not, plan on filling it to full-full, and then top the reservoir after the cap is back on.

Test the cap itself while you have the tester. If it leaks at a pressure less than the rating on the cap, you'll want to replace the cap. Get a Genuine Honda cap.

Our 2013 cars are past the statistical PM life on the coolant. If yours hasn't been changed before, consider doing that now rather than just topping up. Coolant pH drops over time, and when it drops below about 9 to 9.5, it's due for a change. IIRC Honda recommends 5 year change intervals anyway so you are already a couple years overdue if it's still on the factory fill.

If you recently had the coolant changed, just restore the level in the radiator and reservoir and move on; a little air pocket while filling is pretty common. The workshop manual has you go through a couple heat-and-cooldown cycles to verify that all the air has been burped out.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
might want to check to see if the water pump isn't starting to leak also

1 - 5 of 5 Posts