Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find any threads discussing this topic, so I wanted to see what you all recommend. I'm refilling my radiator today after replacing it yesterday. Before I removed the old radiator, I drained it at the bottom petcock, plus I also drained the block using a tube connected to the fitting on the back of the engine above the oil filter. I got about a gallon and a half of old coolant out between the two methods.

According to the FSM, I'm supposed to start the engine with the heater on, run 5 minutes at 1500 rpm, shut off, refill the radiator, restart and run 5 more minutes with AC on max cool, shut off and refill, and repeat those steps 2 more times, running 3 minutes each the next pass, and then 1 minute each and at 2500 rpm, ending with running the rear heater at full for a minute.

Do you guys actually do all of those steps exactly as described?

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
I can't find any threads discussing this topic, so I wanted to see what you all recommend. I'm refilling my radiator today after replacing it yesterday. Before I removed the old radiator, I drained it at the bottom petcock, plus I also drained the block using a tube connected to the fitting on the back of the engine above the oil filter. I got about a gallon and a half of old coolant out between the two methods.

According to the FSM, I'm supposed to start the engine with the heater on, run 5 minutes at 1500 rpm, shut off, refill the radiator, restart and run 5 more minutes with AC on max cool, shut off and refill, and repeat those steps 2 more times, running 3 minutes each the next pass, and then 1 minute each and at 2500 rpm, ending with running the rear heater at full for a minute.

Do you guys actually do all of those steps exactly as described?
Surly they mean you can start it first by filling the radiator with coolant, Then go through the steps?

·
Registered
288 Posts
"Burping"is the key word here. After refill, run the engine till it's hot. Keep the radiator cap off. Run the heater at full blast. Coolant start to spill out due to heat--turn heater off, refill. Now, to make sure all the air pockets have completely "burped", repeat one more time. Close the radiator cap. Make sure the plastic reservoir is at proper level. That's it!

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I usually let the engine idle with the heat on until the thermostat opens. Top it off and jack the front up to help push air to the radiator. Let idle with some intermittent revs for 10-15 minutes. Drive around for a half hour or so. Check the level in the morning and check a couple times throughout the next week.

Now this is assuming it ingested approximately the same amount that I removed before driving. If I felt like there was still a big air bubble I would probably shut the engine off, let everything cool for a couple hours and try again. Never needed to though.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
It's like a newborn. You have to burp it after filling it. Repeat as necessary.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
If the vehicle has a pressure cap on the radiator, you best (ENGINE COLD) remove the radiator cap to check coolant level in the radiator for several heat/cool cycles after a cooling system D&F. Coolant level should be at the very top (up in the neck) of the radiator (ENGINE COLD). If coolant level is not up to the top of the radiator and there is coolant in the recovery bottle, you likely have a bad radiator pressure cap.

Reactions: plplplpl
1 - 6 of 6 Posts