Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people! My 2004 got too hot and died and was smoking pretty good. I added some coolant and started it up and I could hear a hissing from under the car. I went underneath and there are two metal(aluminum maybe) lines that run from the engine down past the catalytic. There's a spot that rubbed through and it's spitting out onto the cat. I can't find these parts online, they don't come up when I search radiator or heater hoses. Anyone know what they are called? It looks like a real pain to fix. I know I shouldn't, but I was thinking of trying to just repair it. Anyone ever repair those and have a good idea on how to do it? Thanks for any help.

Rich

·
Registered
312 Posts
Could it be the lines that run to the heater core in the center console. For the rear seat heat?

If it is not close to the cat you could probably put a piece of heater hose in the bad area to keep you from having to replace the line. Just a thought.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could it be the lines that run to the heater core in the center console. For the rear seat heat?

If it is not close to the cat you could probably put a piece of heater hose in the bad area to keep you from having to replace the line. Just a thought.
I didn't think of that. That's exactly what it is. I'm thinking rubber hose as well, just wasn't sure of the pressure. Plus, I'd have to slice the hose to get it on which causes a breach of sorts. It would probably work. Any thoughts on soldering it? Think it would work?

Rich

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
BTW, how old is your radiator? Might want to consider changing it as cheap insurance if you're still on your original rad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BTW, how old is your radiator? Might want to consider changing it as cheap insurance if you're still on your original rad.

View attachment 140683
I honestly don't know. I'm not original owner, but I bought it from original owner and carfax didn't mention it. I have heard of radiator failure on these. I'm thinking of replacing it. Was pricing them today.

Rich

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
I honestly don't know. I'm not original owner, but I bought it from original owner and carfax didn't mention it. I have heard of radiator failure on these. I'm thinking of replacing it. Was pricing them today.

Rich
Get a Denso from Rockauto (I did), top and bottom hoses and thermostat with (loosely translating from German syntax :)).

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
And remember to enter your PIloteers 5% discount code before you confirm your order.

5% Discount Code: 3AE5CBE8F18A03
Expires: November 12, 2020

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I didn't think of that. That's exactly what it is. I'm thinking rubber hose as well, just wasn't sure of the pressure. Plus, I'd have to slice the hose to get it on which causes a breach of sorts. It would probably work. Any thoughts on soldering it? Think it would work?

Rich
The pressure on the line would be cooling system pressure (16lbs) so a heater hose would hold. The line is probably aluminum so you will not have good luck soldering it. I was thinking cut out about an inch section. You could cut a longer section if you needed to. Then get about 2.5” length of hose and slide it on one side and then work it onto the other. Don’t know exactly where the hole is or if that sounds feasible. I would sure give it a shot before replacing the whole line.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The pressure on the line would be cooling system pressure (16lbs) so a heater hose would hold. The line is probably aluminum so you will not have good luck soldering it. I was thinking cut out about an inch section. You could cut a longer section if you needed to. Then get about 2.5” length of hose and slide it on one side and then work it onto the other. Don’t know exactly where the hole is or if that sounds feasible. I would sure give it a shot before replacing the whole line.
Yeah I'm still thinking how I wanna do it. I was thinking JB Weld on the spot then a hose. Maybe just the hose. I gotta get a good look at it. I totally don't have time to do the work so I'm hoping a quick fix will work plus that is pretty expensive!

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
n
Yeah I'm still thinking how I wanna do it. I was thinking JB Weld on the spot then a hose. Maybe just the hose. I gotta get a good look at it. I totally don't have time to do the work so I'm hoping a quick fix will work plus that is pretty expensive!
If you’re going the JB route why not JB plus clamping a split curved tube around the hole.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
If you don't take time to do a good job, you will have to take more time to do it again. Best quick repair is to cut out the bad section, slip a piece of heater hose in there, and clamp both overlaps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you don't take time to do a good job, you will have to take more time to do it again. Best quick repair is to cut out the bad section, slip a piece of heater hose in there, and clamp both overlaps.
Yeah that's the plan. I meant I don't have time to replace the whole thing, plus it's $250!!! I'm gonna just use hose on it. That will work fine. This isn't a daily driver so I'm not too worried. Thanks for all the helpful info.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fixed! It was a bit of a pain cuz of course it was on an elbow going up beside frame. I got the hose in and it's close to the cat so I used some insulation blanket I had to create a bit of a shield around it. I think it should work fine. Test drove to gas station and no issues.

Rich

1 - 16 of 16 Posts