Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a 2015 Touring Edition. Jut wondering if anyone can tell me typically where does your engine coolant temperature gauge run? How many ticks up the scale is normal for you? Thanks, Harry

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,304 Posts
Some where in the middle is just right. It's a Goldie Locks kind of thing.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Mine sits at the same place the mclasser shows. It's interesting though, in that the gauge needle barely moves with actual coolant temps between about 175º and 205º, read via the OBD port and a diagnostic tool. Honda doesn't want you getting needlessly excited about temps that move within the normal thermostat and fans-control temp range. By the time temps get past 215º, the needle is on the move up. You'll end up watching the gauge and deciding where "normal" is, and then keep an eye out for movement away from that position. Reality is that most folks don't look at the gauges until there's some other symptom, like a warning light or that billow of steam leaking out from the edges of the hood.

The OBD connectors with bluetooth are amazingly cheap, and there are free apps you can run on a capable phone or tablet. Very detailed engine and driveline parameters are available for display, including IIRC three different coolant temp sensor readings plus the very-weighted 'average' used to drive the gauge in the cluster.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Every Honda I have owned seems to have a non-linear temp gauge for about the middle 3rd of the range.
I usually run with a ScanGauge plugged in and have caught problems with the thermostat that I would have never known about just looking at the dash gauge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts