Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would it take to do this on a 2019 EXL? Is it even possible? Mine is paid off but our needs have changed a bit and some more towing capacity would be nice. I’d really rather not have to start over with a new vehicle so I’m getting all possible options.

We’d like to get a 20-22’ pontoon boat and I think I’d be just below or right at my current 3500 lb towing capacity.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,276 Posts

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,328 Posts
Trade in and up.

please remember that the Max tow rating is only when minimal weight in the car. Two people at 150lbs per person.

boats and trailers are notorious for being over rated weight. Add food fuel life jackets etc and the weight is far higher.

get yourself on a wet slippery launch ramp and you’ll loose all traction.

·
Registered
Traded Pilot for Highlander
265 Posts
Not going to happen. Time to trade it in.

·
Registered
442 Posts
There is no easy or straightforward way. Of course anything is possible with enough money. For the price you'd pay to gut your Pilot and put in a custom AWD drive train you may as well get a 10-year old used truck or body on frame SUV with a higher towing capacity.

Another alternative with used car prices so high is to sell your 2019 and buy a new AWD Pilot or some superior tow vehicle. Durango is 6k+ towing capacity. Body on frame SUVs (Expedition, Yukon, etc) are a lot more expensive but of course can tow a lot more too.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Kinda looks like (chart above) the tranny cooler is what increases the tow numbers. Would a 2WD with a BATC have a higher tow rating than an AWD without a cooler?;)

·
Registered
196 Posts
What would it take to do this on a 2019 EXL? Is it even possible? Mine is paid off but our needs have changed a bit and some more towing capacity would be nice. I’d really rather not have to start over with a new vehicle so I’m getting all possible options.

We’d like to get a 20-22’ pontoon boat and I think I’d be just below or right at my current 3500 lb towing capacity.
Trade in your Pilot for something better suited for towing.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,871 Posts
I must disagree with my esteemed colleagues. Yes it can be done. To do the job you will need the following:

New engine with an AWD PCM system
New AWD transmission
Rear Differential set up.
&
A semi- trailer full of money.

It can definitely be done, but you have to ask yourself is it worth being done? With enough money you can do almost anything.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts

Maybe consider an 18' 'toon boat and adding a BATC to your 2WD.🤷‍♂️ I would guess a BATC install, including labor, maybe +/-$300, presuming 6 speed tranny.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
I must disagree with my esteemed colleagues. Yes it can be done. To do the job you will need the following:

New AWD transmission
&

It can definitely be done, but you have to ask yourself is it worth being done? With enough money you can do almost anything.
OK then, time to get to work. :p

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
OP, sorry for all the disappointing news, but hopefully you'll never know all the heartache (and money) you saved.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you're just looking for a vehicle to tow, just buy/borrow/rent and inexpensive truck. There is no practical way you can upgrade 2wd to 4wd.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If the Pilot was RWD and had a longitudinal engine, it would be much simpler to convert to 4wd. But with a transverse engine and trying to convert the rear? Not worth it.

·
Registered
760 Posts
While not recommended, if you put a trans cooler on and go easy on it, you probably could get away with it using your existing car. The challenge maybe the wet boat ramp though. That can be a challenge for a fwd vehicle.

Ideally and if you’re looking for something that can tow… you skip the Pilot all together and get a Tahoe or something.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
588 Posts
If you're just looking for a vehicle to tow, just buy/borrow/rent and inexpensive truck. There is no practical way you can upgrade 2wd to 4wd.

Depending on where you live and how often you plan on going out it may be better to borrow or rent a truck.

Other option would be to find a marina on the water so you don't have to trailer.

Plus if it's in the water or in the dry dock at a marina its a much easier and enjoyable experience to taking the boat out.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,328 Posts
There is no easy or straightforward way. Of course anything is possible with enough money. For the price you'd pay to gut your Pilot and put in a custom AWD drive train you may as well get a 10-year old used truck or body on frame SUV with a higher towing capacity.

Another alternative with used car prices so high is to sell your 2019 and buy a new AWD Pilot or some superior tow vehicle. Durango is 6k+ towing capacity. Body on frame SUVs (Expedition, Yukon, etc) are a lot more expensive but of course can tow a lot more too.
Durango and expedition are definitely the next step up the tow ladder. Some Durango’s can out tow the Tahoe. Expeditions with Factory tow are very capable.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,587 Posts
If you want a reliable and tough towing SUV, the Pilot is not the one. Light/occasional towing is fine, but these aren't particularly beefy vehicles.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I don't recall seeing "a how frequently you can tow" section in the Owner's Manual....just weight and speed limitations. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
11,427 Posts

New AWD transmission
&

Don't forget swapping out all the wire harnesses. There's a good chance that something in the fuse box that will completely shut this idea down too. There may also be a 2wd frame versus AWD. Bolt holes or welded on threaded nuts missing. Count me out of this idea.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts