Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of course, after the factory warranty was over, a problem started happening on my 2017 Honda Pilot EX-L. The car only has 21000 miles. The car lights and panel started to light up by themselves. When the lights went on a green light was also blinking as well. Due to this, the battery drained a couple of times requiring the car to be jumped. So I took the car to the dealer last week Friday. The dealer informed that the Control Unit needed to be replaced. This is a $400+ dollar part and, add labor to that, this appears to be an expensive repair. Fortunately, I had the foresight to buy the Honda Care Extended Warranty from another Honda dealer extending the bumper to bumper warranty for an additional 5 years or 120K miles. Nonetheless, it appears that the part is not common because the car is still at the dealership waiting for the part. Have anyone heard about problems like this? It appears that the problem is related with the keyless system but the car lighting up itself like a Christmas tree and drain the battery in the process haven't seen anywhere else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have been fighting this same problem along with the alarm randomly going off frustrating my neighbors. The dealership is starting by saying their test shows that our new battery (7months old) bought from someone else is bad. So we went there to try t do a replacement and their test says it is good and has much better results than the dealership. We swapped the battery because I read it could be a cause but it didn’t fix the problem. I’ve also seen all the exterior lights on when I wake up for work at 0330. Along with the dash lighting up and shutting off and the relays clicking. I’m going to try replacing the start stop push button today if the dealer has it in stock 2016-2020 Honda Switch Assembly, Engine Start & Stop 35881-TG7-A03 | Wholesale Honda Parts part number 355881-tg7-a03 then the 38320-TG7-A52 if I can find the equivalent number for our 6speed transmission. Looks like I just did 2016-2018 Honda PILOT 5-DOOR Control Unit, Smart Power 38320-TG7-A32 | Wholesale Honda Parts 38320-tg7-a32 hopefully someone else can chime in on repairs, my wife has had to jump start her car too many times.

·
Registered
499 Posts
If the start/stop is no go, then problem might be the MICU.

·
Registered
499 Posts
What is the MICU? A part search comes back without a result
Its basically the interior fuse box assembly that contains system controller and immobilizer circuits (also called the Body controller). You will need a dealer to install and program it. Take all of your key fobs.

Part number may vary per model. Its item #2 on below link.

Ridgeline owners have had similar alarm problems with mixed results. Smart power seemed to fix one, but you already replaced that. Read here:

Here is a schematic of the security system. MICU on contained within the grey area which is the fuse box assembly.

Attachments

Reactions: FE427TP

·
Registered
6 Posts
Of course, after the factory warranty was over, a problem started happening on my 2017 Honda Pilot EX-L. The car only has 21000 miles. The car lights and panel started to light up by themselves. When the lights went on a green light was also blinking as well. Due to this, the battery drained a couple of times requiring the car to be jumped. So I took the car to the dealer last week Friday. The dealer informed that the Control Unit needed to be replaced. This is a $400+ dollar part and, add labor to that, this appears to be an expensive repair. Fortunately, I had the foresight to buy the Honda Care Extended Warranty from another Honda dealer extending the bumper to bumper warranty for an additional 5 years or 120K miles. Nonetheless, it appears that the part is not common because the car is still at the dealership waiting for the part. Have anyone heard about problems like this? It appears that the problem is related with the keyless system but the car lighting up itself like a Christmas tree and drain the battery in the process haven't seen anywhere else.
Our 2016 Pilot has similar issues. The panel lights flicker. You can hear the relays clicking behind the panel. Sometimes the car alarm randomly goes off. The dealership has had it 3 times. This time around they want to charge us $800 to replace the Keyless control unit. I wondered if your problem was resolved by replacing the control unit? The dealer has had it 2 other times (Cost us $80 first time and $250 the 2nd time) and nothing was resolved. If they are just throwing darts at possible solutions, I hate to spend $800 for them replace a part that isn't even a problem ;-( Your feedback would be helpful.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Anyone have any updates on their issue. I too am having the issue described. It goes in waves as far as alarm going off but then it is fine for weeks. I’d love to be able to make the change myself but I’m assuming the programming g of keys to the new MICU is something a dealer or Honda shop can do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would love to hear any successful updates. Our Pilot has started having this same issue, and the dealer is saying that they will attempt to diagnose and fix it next week when I take it in for an appointment, but it will be difficult to do if it's not acting up while it's act the dealership.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts