Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bad news, before I put 50 miles on the new transmission it started slipping out of gear and not shifting properly. It would get stuck in neutral and would occasionally shift into drive for a minute or two, the dash PRNDL lights are all hardly working. Obviously my first instinct was to replace the neutral safety switch (about $110) which was clearly part of the problem as the metal switch had been bored out by the shaft coming off the trans. Now I have a working safety switch and the dash lights are functional however to my dismay, the car is still not engaging reverse or drive. I guess I was overly optimistic about my repair job.

The dealership is keeping it for the weekend and told me they are as puzzled as I am. Unfortunately one of the technicians suggested that it is probably a mechanical problem inside the trans, he also noted that the shaft for the neutral safety switch is shorter than it should be. I think that I will be able to warranty the rebuilt transmission if it comes down to it but I am hoping that there is a way to get it working again for cheap.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,177 Posts
Sorry for your troubles, we've got our/my finger crossed it will be OK.

Reactions: wilsonadv_100

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,234 Posts
Does your model year have a shift cable?

But since you mention it's a rebuilt transmission, that and/or its installation would be my likely guess.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does your model year have a shift cable?

But since you mention it's a rebuilt transmission, that and/or its installation would be my likely guess.
Yes it does have a shift cable which I checked and everything seems to be functional. After some research I think its a problem with the fluid distribution, hopefully this is due to a clogged filter. Gonna try to replace the screw-on trans fluid filter and hopefully that solves the problem. If its not that I suspect there could be an issue with the valve body, in which case I am going to attempt a warranty on the rebuilt trans.

The intermittent shifting suggests a fluid problem because after the car sits for awhile the fluid settles and all the junk sinks to the bottom. That's why it will usually shift right after being started but soon after will drop to neutral when the fluid backs up in the clogged filter. The filter likely picked up a lot of junk left over from the old transmission even though I flushed all the lines cleaned everything out best I could. Hopefully this works!

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,234 Posts
What kind of ATF are you using? I find it difficult to believe respected member @Nail Grease hasn't swooped down onto this thread to recommend a 3 x drain and fill with Valvoline Maxlife ATF, like here just a few moments ago again:

Transmission

So I will. :) Drive it a few miles between each D&F, and yes, change that filter you're lucky to be able to access on your model year, and keep checking and cleaning your magnetic drain plug

At least try those things before having to jump through the hoops of a warranty claim.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts