Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think we can all agree that even though the Pilot has only been in production for a few months, there aren't nearly enough aftermarket products available. What really surprises me is the lack of performance upgrades for the 3.5L VTEC V6 since it's been in production for some time. The best way to correct this is to bomb the aftermarket manufacturers with product requests for for the Honda Pilot. So post the URL and/or e-mail of the companies you want targeted.

I'll kick it off with a link to SEMA (Specialty Equipment Marketing Association) the trade group for aftermarket vendors. Let's get on this so we can have the same kind of options that domestic SUVs and import compacts have!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is the copy of an email I sent to Comptech a leading performance parts maker for Honda and Acura. They have a forum on their site. I've started a Pilot thread in the Honda General section.

Sorry, we have no plans on releasing any performance parts for the Pilot
here. Thanks.

----- Original Message -----
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Saturday, December 07, 2002 1:26 PM
Subject: Honda Pilot

> I'd like to know when you will have products for the '03 Honda Pilot SUV?
> There is a lack of aftermarket support for Honda's 3.5L VTEC V6. It comes
in
> so many vehicles now (Pilot, Odyssey, Accord: Acura RL & MDX) there's
money
> to be made in this underserved market. I look forward to hearing about
> products for my vehicle soon. Thanks.
>
> Sincerely,

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually there's already a "Honda Pilot" thread on the comtech board under "Misc Honda". Here's Comtech's reply to the inital post:

"Since the CRV parts have been such a slow mover, plus we haven't been getting any requests for Pilot parts, it's highly doubtfull that we would develop anything for it ."

·
Registered
77 Posts
I wish Jaos, a manufacturer of offroad products would make stuff for the Pilot.

I have heard that they dont have rims that fit the Pilot, but i think this is just because they haven't had a pilot to test fit different offsets & lug patterns. I think a Pilot would look pretty mean with Jaos offroad wheels & tires, Honda flares & brush gaurd, and Jaos skid plates, jaos rally mud gaurds, and jaos roof tray.

I am sure that Jaos can prolly fit rims onto a Pilot given some patience & their roof tray will also prolly fit making it look ready for a jungle safari.

www.jaosusa.com

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tirerack.com has rims listed for the Pilot. So does 1010tires.com.

·
Registered
77 Posts
maybe the Volk Racing TE37 would be cool (they make an offroad application that i saw on a landcruiser)... but that and the rest of them dont look like they would go offroad very far. They dont look tough and rugged... they look more onroad and sporty. The Jaos wheels look tough and rugged and would compliment the Pilot pretty well. Just look at how the other SUV's on the website look... this is the look that the Pilot needs.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just heard back from Jaos.

"Sorry, however at this time we do not plan on having any products available for this vehicle [Pilot]."

wildpanda86 said:
I wish Jaos, a manufacturer of offroad products would make stuff for the Pilot.

I have heard that they dont have rims that fit the Pilot, but i think this is just because they haven't had a pilot to test fit different offsets & lug patterns. I think a Pilot would look pretty mean with Jaos offroad wheels & tires, Honda flares & brush gaurd, and Jaos skid plates, jaos rally mud gaurds, and jaos roof tray.

I am sure that Jaos can prolly fit rims onto a Pilot given some patience & their roof tray will also prolly fit making it look ready for a jungle safari.

www.jaosusa.com

·
Registered
77 Posts
I guess what i am trying to say is that officially, Jaos does not make any parts for the Pilot. Meaning they did not take the time and effort to get a Pilot and prototype different parts for it. But some of the parts are kinda universal... like the rims. The distributor for Jaos is a shop in socal... if someone was really interested in getting jaos rims for the Pilot... they can prolly go directly to the shop and try to test fit the rims that they have. I remember Dazz motorsports used to do that for customers if they were not sure wether something fit or not. I dont wee why the distributor for jaos cant do that here, especially if the customer is serious about buying.

And the roof rack seems to be universal as well:
http://www.jaosusa.com/products/roofrack/roofrack2.htm

and with a little creativity, the rally mudgaurds offered by jaos would also fit:
http://www.jaosusa.com/products/mudguard/

again it is just a matter of heading down to the shop and test fitting.

Put all this together with the Factory Honda Fender flares & front bar would look nice.

BTW, does anyone know what the bolt pattern is for the Pilot wheels? I know that it is 5 lug... but is it 5x150 or 5x114.3 or is it something else.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think i remember that the Honda Pilot wheels will fit on the CRV. I remember seeing that on a CRV on one of the Honda SUV websites. If this is true... then Rims that fit the CRV may also fit the Pilot... and Jaos makes rims that fit the CRV in the 5x114.3 pattern. Here is how it looks on the CRV

http://www.jaosusa.com/products/wheel/forio_crv.htm

Here is a CRV with Pilot Rims:
http://www.hondasuv.com/main/viewalbum.php?a=38

to sum: officially, Jaos does not make stuff that fit the Pilot/ But unoffically they acutally do have some stuff that fits.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Westin has parts listed for the Pilot on its site. I also try looking up fitments for MDX and Ody. assuming that most parts involving the drivetrain (inc. wheels) will fit the Pilot.

I just picked up the latest catalog from Pep Boys. They can order parts from most of the major manufacturers. The prices are good and they'll install it, too. I plan to get a set of Westin lighted running boards in the next month or so.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Comptech

Apparantly Comptech has been hearing from Pilot/MDX/Ody owners, because the status on parts development has gone from 'unlikely' to 'under consideration'. If you would like to see aftermarket headers, intake, supercharger etc. Drop Comptech a line if you haven't already.

Comptech misc. honda forum

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Comptech getting the message?

tledjazz said:
Actually there's already a "Honda Pilot" thread on the Comptech board under "Misc Honda". Here's Comptech's reply to the inital post:

"Since the CRV parts have been such a slow mover, plus we haven't been getting any requests for Pilot parts, it's highly doubtfull that we would develop anything for it ."
In more recent posts, parts development for the MDX/Ody/Pilot has gone from 'highly doubtful to 'possible'.

RE: V6 supercharger:

"We have looked at it (sic) that possibility. The intake manifold is taller (on the MDX than the RL/CL/02Accord v6), so it would require at least one new casting. Once we get the other kits into full production we'll have a chance to look further into fitting it to the MDX."
If you haven't weighed in, let Comptech know there's a market out here!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts