Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
kemosabe said:
Spring 2003 Edition "Road Tests 2003"

[ page 106 ]
I've never heard the "pronounced road noise on coarse pavement" referred to in the article.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Re: Consumer Reports

Ziploc said:

I've never heard the "pronounced road noise on coarse pavement" referred to in the article.
I hear it on mine on some sections of the interstate - but would not say it is much worse than what I have experienced on other vehicles.

YMMV

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One would think that most vehicles have some road noise when driving over rough pavement, except for those "luxury" vehicles that have super-duper noise dampening features...??? :8:

·
Registered
991 Posts
I do agree with the road noise complaint. If it is on smooth pavement you hear nothing, but once you get to pavement that has been around for awhile, the noise is quite high.

Who cares! Our Pilots are still one of the best SUV's out there and whenever we decide to let her go, the value will be awesome!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Rough Pavement Road Noise

Here in Western PA, I hear it all the time 'cause all we have is rough pavement ! Agree it's no big deal.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Recognize the SUV in the Article?

I didn't see this article yesterday when I got the magazine (Consumer Reports), but the SUV in the photo caught my eye when I was thumbing through it during lunch today... :D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Road Noise, Fuel Economy

Mine came with Goodyear Integrity tires, which are actually passenger car tires. They're very quiet. I havn't really had the chance to try the vehicle in deep snow, so I don't know if/how much traction I'm giving up. I don't go off road very much. Coarser tread SUV tires will give you better traction at the price of noise.

Funny that CU gave the Pilot good marks on fuel economy (I agree). Basically, the only fault found by Consumer Guide was fuel economy. Go figure.:confused:

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/23085.htm

·
Registered
189 Posts
Pronounced Road Noise ?

One anecdote:
As we were test driving the Pilot recently, I was listening hard for all sorts of noises mentioned on this site -- including road noise.

The first drive was quiet ... so quiet in fact, that I had to go back another day for a second test drive. We chose a rougher road the second time, and did seem to hear some deep strumming on rough roads. This was loud enough to cause concern as we drove back to the dealer.

The way I reconciled the noise? I drove home over the exact same rough-road route in our '98 Acura 2.5 TL w/Michelin MXV4's. Imagine my suprise when the same noise at about the same frequency and amplitude was present in the Acura.

Case-closed, and the rest is history. It's hard to wait, but only a few more weeks and we can enjoy whatever road noise we hear.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Re: Pronounced Road Noise ?

jazcar said:
One anecdote:
As we were test driving the Pilot recently, I was listening hard for all sorts of noises mentioned on this site -- including road noise.

The first drive was quiet ... so quiet in fact, that I had to go back another day for a second test drive. We chose a rougher road the second time, and did seem to hear some deep strumming on rough roads. This was loud enough to cause concern as we drove back to the dealer.

The way I reconciled the noise? I drove home over the exact same rough-road route in our '98 Acura 2.5 TL w/Michelin MXV4's. Imagine my suprise when the same noise at about the same frequency and amplitude was present in the Acura.

Case-closed, and the rest is history. It's hard to wait, but only a few more weeks and we can enjoy whatever road noise we hear.

I think we worry a little to much about our Pilots heh? I too noticed the road noise on rough pavement, but I think all vehicles will have the same or similar amount of road noise. When it is on smooth pavement you hear nothing! It is great.. My wife started it up and the engine is SOO darn quiet. I guess it is human nature to notice all the bad stuff, when the good stuff that our Pilots possess outweighs the bad..

I'm not worrying about it, I am just going to enjoy driving her! It is the nicest vehicle I have ever owned and any little detail we notice with out Pilots seems huge because we love it so much!

:cool: :2: :2:

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
If you want to hear some road noise, drive on the cobblestone street in front of Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, MD. Road noise, rattles, etc. etc. I knew I'd destroyed the integrity of the Pilot's interior. Back on semi-normal pavement, smooth and quiet again.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Re: Re: Pronounced Road Noise ?

gopilot said:

I think we worry a little to much about our Pilots heh? I too noticed the road noise on rough pavement, but I think all vehicles will have the same or similar amount of road noise. When it is on smooth pavement you hear nothing! It is great.. My wife started it up and the engine is SOO darn quiet. I guess it is human nature to notice all the bad stuff, when the good stuff that our Pilots possess outweighs the bad..

I'm not worrying about it, I am just going to enjoy driving her! It is the nicest vehicle I have ever owned and any little detail we notice with out Pilots seems huge because we love it so much!

:cool: :2: :2:
Nicely put GoPilot

1 - 12 of 12 Posts