Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the new Consumer Reports in the mail today. Guess what was #1? You guessed. Pilot. Slightly ahead of Highlander, MDX and RX300. They reviewed it with the Expedition, Tahoe, and Sequoia as a "car-based mid-sized SUV comparison to the big truck based SUV's that also seat 8". (or something like that).
They griped about road noise. Must admit, even though I own a Pilot, I find fault with a few of the marks. Cargo...less than the behomoths, but equal to all but one in the ratings (but look at the acutal numbers.) Then they give it a predicted reliability of better than average even though it is new. They base that on MDX heritage. Sometimes they won't give a reliability prediction based on similar models, yet they seem to give Honda and Toyota the nod anyway. Oh, well...a nice positive article. The biggest advantage I see is how it is rated above all the others including the 3 monsters that cost $41-$46K.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have been waiting for my CR magazine since last month, and still didn't get it today. Seems I am always a day later getting mine than others on this board.

Things are slower here in the south, and I guess that includes the PO too!

Glad to hear the report is great! Can't wait to read it myself!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Got mine today also. Quote Consumer Reports, "The Pilot not only earned an overall score well above those of the three full-sized models, but it marginally outranked the five-passenger Toyota Highlander, becoming our top-scoring recommended SUV."

·
Registered
123 Posts
bgeraldo said:
This is awesome!:) Now I can't wait for the crash tests to be published!

Is there any difference between MDX and Pilot? I don't think so. Pilot will get what MDX got.....5 stars.

·
Registered
900 Posts
catbert said:
I have been waiting for my CR magazine since last month, and still didn't get it today.
catbert, our Consumer Reports magazine came yesterday too... sorry about yours.
The Pilot is on the cover - small, about an inch tall, in the upper left corner of the cover, but it's on the cover!
Hopefully yours will come soon.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I no longer get Consumer Reports, but I subscribe to the web site. No mention of the article as of yet. Also the issue has not yet hit the newsstands. Can't wait to read it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MDXers problems

I would not feel bad if I had an MDX vs a Pilot. CR always seems to slide the non-luxury name ahead of the luxury counterpart.
They prefer Highlander to RX300
They prefer Maxima to I35
Avalon to ES300
Now Pilot over MDX.

I expect "Bucks paid" plays a big part in that.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I wonder if this is going to have an impact on supply and MSRP?

Kind of cool, this is the first car I have ever owned that has a good rating in CR. :D

·
Registered
185 Posts
I Usually Wait for CR

I usually wait for Consumer Reports' opinions before buying vehicles but I didn't for the Pilot based on the strong showings of its MDX and Odyssey cousins. I also fully understood I'd probably have a few first model year nuances to work out, which I do.

Received my CR today and the article is very complimentary. It's reassuring that an independent reviewer has come to the same conclusion that overall, this is an extremely nice vehicle. But then again, we all knew we had sound judgement and good taste !

Fame is a fleeting thing however, and being rating number one in CR's eyes will only last 'till someone else puts together an even nicer package. I'll still be enjoying my Pilot and not worrying about woulda coulda shoulda's when they do.

·
Registered
389 Posts
YES! YES! YES! We're number ONE! And our Pilots have only been out for 4 months or so. I'm waiting for CR online to publish it.

I will definitely buy the CR on the newstand.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
C'mon ...

Was there any doubt !!!

:rolleyes:

PrG

·
Registered
263 Posts
I guess I don't understand all the fuss over being "top rated". I'd rather have a "highly rated" vehicle that meets my needs than a "top rated" one that didn't.

Like sillec said, you pays your money and you makes your choice. No regrets here.

·
Registered
111 Posts
hop23 said:
I guess I don't understand all the fuss over being "top rated". I'd rather have a "highly rated" vehicle that meets my needs than a "top rated" one that didn't.

Like sillec said, you pays your money and you makes your choice. No regrets here.
Ditto. Those that choose the 'X' for instance, are getting a great vehicle. You have to remember that CR has a particular bias, as others have pointed out, they're not high on luxury, they don't seem to put much emphasis on noise or creature comforts. People that buy Lexus are probably not too concerned that CR rates Toyotas higher, they're just not going to look at Toyotas.

When we were shopping for a replacement vehicle, we took all our requirements into consideration, including reliability, $, safety, appearance, comfort, etc. and Pilot came out on top. I'm happy that they chose the Pilot, but I wouldn't care much if they chose something else since CR criteria is different from mine.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Yeah, Baby!! We're Number 1!! We're number 1!!

Do you know if the Infinity QX4, the one my brother drives, was tested at all and if so, what place did it come in? If it wasn't even tested, I'll say to him, "Your QX4 wasn't even deemed worthy enough to be tested by CR." Is that too mean?:D

·
Registered
102 Posts
For those that don't care please remember that it is this type of review that helps bolster resale value.

The QX-4 was not tested.

#09131 SS EX

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Re: Yeah, Baby!! We're Number 1!! We're number 1!!

RipRocK said:
Do you know if the Infinity QX4, the one my brother drives, was tested at all and if so, what place did it come in? If it wasn't even tested, I'll say to him, "Your QX4 wasn't even deemed worthy enough to be tested by CR." Is that too mean?:D
Too Mean? For a brother? Nah...:22:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Re: Yeah, Baby!! We're Number 1!! We're number 1!!

RipRocK said:
You can't do that to your own brother.. Don't add fuel to fire.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts