Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you agree with this assessment? As for my 2017 EX, I would have to agree. The noisy and harsh suspension is very annoying. I wish I had paid closer attention when test driving before purchase.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Do you agree with this assessment? As for my 2017 EX, I would have to agree. The noisy and harsh suspension is very annoying. I wish I had paid closer attention when test driving before purchase.
Interesting. Do you know if this affects the 2019 EX-L models?

I’m about to purchase one right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
I agree with Aviator. Consumer Reports is basically a Subaru affiliate IMO. Constantly recommending them and talking them up, except they have CVT and oil burning issues. My 2018 Pilot with 5k miles is smooth, quiet, and handles just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
171 Posts
Expecting any SUV in the Pilot's price range to handle very well is unrealistic. Splitting hairs over how bad they are relative to each other is pointless - they're all designed to be adequate and safe at their price point. That's it.

There are obviously vehicles that can do what a Pilot does and are genuinely fun to drive. They just cost a lot more. I assume that's why Honda sells a lot of Pilots, and those other vehicles are not so common.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Consumer Reports is the same bunch who complained about rollovers during testing of SUVs about 15 or more years ago. While none of us are "professional" drivers, I would trust the review of someone who can "read" the dynamics of a vehicle by how it feels and reacts on the road, over some Joe Average self-proclaimed "expert" consumer tester at CR. Their recommendations in other categories of product are laughable at best. I pretty much ignore them. CR's subscriptions are "ungainly" IMHO.

And yes...big SUVs can't handle like a sports car. I fully expect that when I drive one. No big deal--I'm not hot-rodding, and I avoid danger when I can. Their bitching about it is like complaining to someone that water is, you know, wet...

·
Super Moderator
15,151 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have faith(some) in the major car mags, C&D, MT, etc., and the guy who does the Redline reviews is pretty good. But some of these self-proclaimed experts should be banned. Perfect example: A 2019 Pilot review from Edmunds, published 10/31/18. The lady's big criticism is that it lacks power and "it will not even do a burnout". Duh, you have a heavy, AWD SUV with traction control, dumbass!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Actually for a big suv, with the vtm-4 awd system, it handles the mountains great. I didn't care for traveling in the mountains with the 2wd... but the awd is a diff animal.

Does it handle like my Infiniti FX35? Hell no... and it's not supposed to. That was a sports suv. This is in reality a family hauler and it does a fantastic job as such. The FX was great at sporty driving, but the utility sucked... which is why we traded it in in the pilot.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
The lady's big criticism is that it lacks power and "it will not even do a burnout".
Well, she's right. Even my old '97 CR-V could do a burnout! 😁 Only partially kidding. When my driveshaft was out, and I had the lousy Toyo Extensa tires on it, I could break the front tires loose on certain starts, and could break them loose on any wet pavement at half throttle. (They had very poor grip, to the point of being dangerous.)

But all kidding aside, I agree. If you want burnouts, buy a car with an obscenely overpowered engine. To a lesser degree, some other reviewers seem to expect the impossible with a lot of the vehicles they test. Or perhaps they have to find something to nitpick. The long-term tests seem more reliable to me, as many drivers at a publication will share the vehicle over the course of a year--some use it for daily driving, others will take long road trips, a few might use it to move or haul items. And the year of "ownership experience" having it serviced and getting minor things taken care of (including recalls) is helpful.

And reviews are just opinions anyway. We don't exactly have to agree with them. 😉

·
Registered
710 Posts
I consider myself an enthusiast, and while I fall in and out of favor with different publications based on their writing styles, poor analogies or general lack of mechanical knowledge (I prefer people who understand how things work, not just regurgitating feature lists). One thing is for sure, I NEVER placed much stock in Consumer Reports auto reviews. Sure, they are able to provide data in pretty well controlled testing environments that's about as far as I can use their automotive section for.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Oh blimey! CR now sucks! If in over 150 ratings, you end up with 1.5 out of 5 stars, it tells you how terrible CR has become. You can read reviews of CR here: https://www.consumeraffairs.com/online/consumer_reports.htm
I think you're better off asking owners than relying on CR.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The actual CR review wasn’t all negative. While panning the steering feel and body roll, the review was very positive on ride comfort and powertrain refinement.
As the owner of a 2019 EX-L, I generally agree with CR’s review. The electric assist steering rack lacks feedback and the chassis is definitely tuned for comfort. But the powertrain and AWD system are sweet and it’s a roomy, quiet, comfortable cruiser that delivers good gas mileage. It’s not Honda’s best effort at tuning “steering feel” but at 7K miles I’m not regretting buying the Pilot.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The handling is quite good for an SUV of this size. My 2019 Touring AWD handles like a champ in tight corners at high speed. I do agree that the suspension is a bit loader than in other cars/SUVs, not sure why Honda chose not to isolate those noises since it did a great job elsewhere. I found that not overinflating tires helps. Keep them at 35 or 34 PSI. Also, i bet switching to 18 inch tire from 20 inch will help in that regard a little. I personally would take suspension another 15-20 percent stiffer, but this is my personal preference.

·
Registered
38 Posts
CR has been going downhill for years. Its a freaking Pilot, not a Stelvio, S2000, M5, etc. It gets the family from point A to point B in a safe and relatively quiet manner. Its actually kinda fun when driven hard with AWD and plenty fast.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This isn't about Consumer Reports,,,its about weather YOU are pleased with the current generation of Pilots. I like everything about my 2017 Pilot except the noisy suspension and road noise. I can feel even subtle bumps in the road.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The Pilot’s handling is quite good for its size. Yes, the suspension is too noisy/boomy. These are separate and distinct issues.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I trust the YouTube reviews by seasoned reviewers, plus car & driver, etc more than I trust CR.

As others have stated... it's all relative. Plus, every SUV has trade-offs. Want it all? Get the Rolls Royce SUV for about 500k plus or minus :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts