Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am posting tis information in case anyone else runs into this issue.

Our 2004 Honda Pilot which we bought new suddenly had the battery go dead one morning.

Checking my records I realized that the battery was 7 years old, so I replaced it with a new battery from an Auto Parts store. I installed the battery and thought my problems were over. How wrong I was.

The vehicle sat for 3 days and when I went to start it, no juice, the battery was completely dead!!??

I recharged the battery, did a load check any everything seemed to be OK. Two days later I had a dead battery again.

I did some research and found this video from Eric The Car Guy on finding a parasitic battery drain.

I followed the steps and was unable to find a parasitic drain. Thinking my multimeter may be defective I had a mechanic do the same test and no parasitic drain was found. He told me that in his opinion the battery was defective, as he couldn’t find a parasitic drain and the charging system checked out with no issues.

I went back to the Parts Store and they did a test on the battery and indeed the battery had a dead cell and was replaced by them.

I installed that battery into the vehicle and thought problem solved. Wrong. If the vehicle sat for more than a day the battery didn’t have enough juice left to start the truck.

Back to square one, I re did the parasitic draw test an again no drain found.

I then found this video on a different way to do a parasitic drain test.

I took my multimeter and proceeded to check every fuse.

I got to the radio fuse located under the hood and my multimeter suddenly showed a substantial reading.
I pulled the radio fuse, let the car sit for a couple of days and it started. When I put the fuse back in the battery was dead in 2 days.

I had located the circuit responsible but now what?

I called someone I knew that used to be in the aftermarket radio business, and told him my situation. Without pausing he told me your radio is shot. This was a common Honda issue. The radio seems to shut off but it doesn’t and drains the battery. I need a new radio.

He told me he’s run into this many times.

I found a radio at an Auto Recycler, installed it and issue solved!

When I pulled the original radio is was very hot to the touch, so IMO a possible fire hazard.

Hope this info is of help to someone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have similar battery drain problem on Honda Pilot, 2015. I thought it was battery problem and replaced with a new battery. The problem still exist. Mine is little different than yours that it is all good during summer and started to give trouble when temp gets 5 or lower.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Get a multimeter, set it to amp reading and check current being drawn on each fuse. (Be sure to use the 10A fused input port). Once you isolate the circuit causing the issue, you can work on a solution.

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,632 Posts
If the multimeter is in current mode then this requires a series connection. This means removing the fuse and measuring across the metal contacts of the fuse panel with the fuse removed. This would be painful to do on a 20 fuse panel.

It’s easier to put the meter in mV DC mode and measure across each fuse while it’s still installed in the panel. Each fuse has a small resistance. When current flows across it a voltage is present, and that can be read by the volt meter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am posting tis information in case anyone else runs into this issue.

Our 2004 Honda Pilot which we bought new suddenly had the battery go dead one morning.

Checking my records I realized that the battery was 7 years old, so I replaced it with a new battery from an Auto Parts store. I installed the battery and thought my problems were over. How wrong I was.

The vehicle sat for 3 days and when I went to start it, no juice, the battery was completely dead!!??

I recharged the battery, did a load check any everything seemed to be OK. Two days later I had a dead battery again.

I did some research and found this video from Eric The Car Guy on finding a parasitic battery drain.

I followed the steps and was unable to find a parasitic drain. Thinking my multimeter may be defective I had a mechanic do the same test and no parasitic drain was found. He told me that in his opinion the battery was defective, as he couldn’t find a parasitic drain and the charging system checked out with no issues.

I went back to the Parts Store and they did a test on the battery and indeed the battery had a dead cell and was replaced by them.

I installed that battery into the vehicle and thought problem solved. Wrong. If the vehicle sat for more than a day the battery didn’t have enough juice left to start the truck.

Back to square one, I re did the parasitic draw test an again no drain found.

I then found this video on a different way to do a parasitic drain test.

I took my multimeter and proceeded to check every fuse.

I got to the radio fuse located under the hood and my multimeter suddenly showed a substantial reading.
I pulled the radio fuse, let the car sit for a couple of days and it started. When I put the fuse back in the battery was dead in 2 days.

I had located the circuit responsible but now what?

I called someone I knew that used to be in the aftermarket radio business, and told him my situation. Without pausing he told me your radio is shot. This was a common Honda issue. The radio seems to shut off but it doesn’t and drains the battery. I need a new radio.

He told me he’s run into this many times.

I found a radio at an Auto Recycler, installed it and issue solved!

When I pulled the original radio is was very hot to the touch, so IMO a possible fire hazard.

Hope this info is of help to someone.
I have the same problem and pulled out the fuse. I am deciding what to do with my radio.So it is a common problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts