Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished mounting two lights in my center console. It was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be.

To provide light I put two white LED's in holes I drilled in the bottom of the change holder lip of the center console. There is one LED at each end where the coin holder curves to attach to the console side. Each LED protrudes about two millimeters from the surface of the plastic.

For power I tapped into the instrument light on the temperature control knob on the back of the console. This turns the LED's on when the headlights are on and eliminated the need for me to mount a plunger switch under the console hatch.

They work great and are completely unobtrusive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because when you open the center console at night you can't see anything inside.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Neat idea ... do you have a pic to post? Also, where did you get the LEDs?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
ChuckW said:
Because when you open the center console at night you can't see anything inside.
Sounds like a good idea. I don't have anything in my center console but I can see where the light would help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
920 Posts
Or you could have used the map lights like the rest of us...:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
Or get one of those map lights that goes in the cig lighter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
This place sells LEDs for about $.50 a piece in assorted colors

ExaByte Systems
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is a picture of the console bracket. This is the horizontal piece that has the change holders built in. You can see in the picture where I put my white LED's. They are actually illuminated but the camera flash completely washed them out.

The bracket is actually made of two pieces and is completely hollow so routing wires was no problem. I mounted the LED's by inserting them into two small holes I drilled. The wiring passes through the console and taps its source from the instrument lighting on the rear climate control.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is the final mount. The two LED's are circled in red. In this position they light the inside of the console as will as the flip-down door. The LED's come on whenever I turn the headlights on.

In this picture you can also see my 12v rechargable flashlight (yellow) that is plugged into the outlet, my two talkabout radios, Lifehammer, and three DVD headsets. I use the cell phone holder for my DVD remote control.

As you can see, I added the lights to the console because we use it so much.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
ChuckW,
Did you have to drop the voltage of the LEDs with resistors. If so, what impedence. Maybe a little citcuit diagram?

Thanks,
Tony
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just bought a couple of those LED running lights they sell at auto parts stores. They make those silly lighted windshield washer jets but they also make basic running lights. You can get any color you want but I went with white.

Just pull the lights out of the plastic housing. The resistor is already soldered onto the LED. I wired the LED's in parallel and then ran a single set of wires through the console to the instrument light on the rear of the console.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
Cool

I like it, but you really need Motorola radios :2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, now that I've tried generic I'll be upgrading to Motorolas in the future. These radios are fine for now but they only have eight frequencies, which can be a problem if you go somewhere larger than the mall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
ChuckW said:
I just bought a couple of those LED running lights they sell at auto parts stores. They make those silly lighted windshield washer jets but they also make basic running lights. You can get any color you want but I went with white.

Just pull the lights out of the plastic housing. The resistor is already soldered onto the LED. I wired the LED's in parallel and then ran a single set of wires through the console to the instrument light on the rear of the console.
Where did you tap for the power source. Actually, I guess I'm asking how you got to the power source (what had to be removed, etc).

I think I'd like to do this.

Ted
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,388 Posts
ChuckW, Neat Work! Question about the power source.

ChuckW said:
Here is a picture of the console bracket. This is the horizontal piece that has the change holders built in. You can see in the picture where I put my white LED's. They are actually illuminated but the camera flash completely washed them out.

The bracket is actually made of two pieces and is completely hollow so routing wires was no problem. I mounted the LED's by inserting them into two small holes I drilled. The wiring passes through the console and taps its source from the instrument lighting on the rear climate control.
When you say you tapped the power source from the instrument lighting on the rear climate control, just exactly how do you manage to do that? Sorry for being so obtuse, but I'm the type of person who needs to have things spelled out for them.

Did you have to disassemble any panels to access the rear climate control's power source? Any pics possible? Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Getting to the power source was actually a lot simpler than I expected. The entire face of the rear console simply pulls off. To remove it, just grab it on both sides of the air vents and pull straight back. No screws at all. It's all clips.

Once you have the back off you will find multiple wiring harnesses to tap. That's all I did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did anyone ever do this project?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
ChuckW said:
Did anyone ever do this project?
Nope, haven't done it, but you did a great job and may have inspired me for a future project. Very useful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
I want to - perhaps you could post complete instructions.

1. What lights to get - part numbers and source
2. How to remove front of console
3. What size drill you used
4. How to run wire
5. How to remove rear housing to access power
6. Which wire to tap


Essentially instructions simple enough that even I can figure it out.
 
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Top