Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,, I am looking to purchase a 2007 Honda Pilot EX-L. It has 186,000 miles. The body looks good and the interior is pretty decent for the age and mileage. Besides transmission service and the timing belt, what are some other things that I should look at or be aware of? I have a wonderful Honda mechanic who would do a purchase inspection for free but it would probably take a few days for them to get around to it and I don't think the seller would be too crazy about it. Thanks.

·
Registered
423 Posts
things I would consider
1. if your in the rust belt, inspect the rear subframe
2. does the seller have a detailed maintenance history with regular oil, trans fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid servicing.
3. mechanical servicing: brake rotor and pads, timing belt w/water pump tensioner & idler, accy belt & idler pully, starter, alternator, battery, tire remaining life (use penny check)
4. suspension - lower control arms, struts, shocks, tie rods (how does the tire treads look is there uneven tread wear, etc), is there bad rear camber - from behind do the wheels look like they are leaning in at the top.
5. engine mounts
6. remove oil fill cap, is staining light brown or black.
7. remove the trans dip stick - is fluid red or brown or milkshake
8. drive it, does it track straight on highway, vibrations, etc.
9. test everything in the car from heat to AC, cruise control, stereo, lights, etc
10. any wreck history, any paint overspray on bolts, trim, parts that shouldn't be painted, especially in the engine compartment, wheel wells, underneath.

Why doesn't the seller want a mechanic to look at it? Is this a warning sign.

In general when I have purchased used cars, I look at a lot of cars first and get a sense of what is out there, get my emotions in check. When a good deal comes up you will be more comfortable with the purchase. There isn't a shortage of good deals once you know what to look for.

I like that you want your mechanic to look at it.

great Chris Fix video

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Is it AWD or 2wd?
Each has its Pros and Cons.
2wd = VCM
AWD = Extra maintenance on transfer case and differential fluids and parts.

Reactions: Astrobuf and aggrex

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,185 Posts
Great advice. You didn't mention how much $?
Check the blue book/NADA, etc., your emotions, etc.
I did not look it up. If you haven't, you should.
An 07, w/ that mileage isn't worth a great deal anyways.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,184 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Definitely have your mechanic inspect it before you purchase. If the seller refuses to let it get inspected, walk away.

@Tacoma'03Pilot made a great checklist. Perhaps he can post the link.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,587 Posts
Most sellers aren’t too comfortable letting some random person drive their car away to be “inspected” for a few days. I usually request they drop it off at my mechanic with the understanding that it’ll take a few hours to complete.

Whenever I sell a car I don’t allow perspective buyers to take it somewhere because I know there are plenty of people who will buy it without me having to go through the hassle of coordinating an inspection.
All I’m saying is, don’t take that as a red flag if they don’t allow you to drive their car to your mechanic.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Most sellers aren’t too comfortable letting some random person drive their car away to be “inspected” for a few days. I usually request they drop it off at my mechanic with the understanding that it’ll take a few hours to complete.
Correct, that's what I've always done. Safe for everyone and works out fine.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
284 Posts
An 07, w/ that mileage isn't worth a great deal anyways.
what would you say it's worth? I paid $4700 for my EX-L model last summer with 153k miles in near perfect condition due to the original owner having garage kept for the majority of its life in PA.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
At least that, or what you would pay to replace it and make yourself as happy. Subjective economics, but that's why I opted to shell out two and a half large for professional body work for my well-maintained 2006. Looks and feels like I went back in time and just drove it off the showroom floor back in the late fall of 2005. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey,, I am looking to purchase a 2007 Honda Pilot EX-L. It has 186,000 miles. The body looks good and the interior is pretty decent for the age and mileage. Besides transmission service and the timing belt, what are some other things that I should look at or be aware of? I have a wonderful Honda mechanic who would do a purchase inspection for free but it would probably take a few days for them to get around to it and I don't think the seller would be too crazy about it. Thanks.
If your buying it for a few thousand maybe. 13 years old then just about anything is getting ready to crap out, from power steering and expensive rack and pinion, steering box several thousand, to power steering hoses corroding and leaking, to brake lines and or master brake cylinder, and then all those sensors for the transmission, and fuel injectors and spark plugs, starter and alternator alternator. Must have records for what has already been done or you better have a lot on money aside for the rebuild and have AAA for towing charges.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts