Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I apologize if this has been hashed out in other threads. The new forum software has rendered Search inoperable and all the hyperlinks to other posts are broken as well.

Our '03 Pilot DVD player is extremely glitchy to the point where it kept locking up at chapter changes on our trip last weekend. In consideration of the other features that I enjoy on newer systems, I think I want to do some upgrading. I would probably install a Kenwood Touch Screen DVD model with Bluetooth and built-in backup camera that I have sitting on the bench at home.

If I do this, there are a few things that I want to know so I can start planning.

Existing woofer - Can an inline amplifier be added to supplement the loss of the amplification provided by the stock head unit?
Existing monitor - Can the video signal from an aftermarket DVD Receiver be displayed on the stock screen? If not, is there a delete panel that will snap up there to remove the display entirely?
Existing DVD player - I've seen pockets installed in that compartment, but I've never seen one that met the curvature of the other components in the console. Did the OEM pocket for the non-RES models curve?
Existing Auxiliary Input jacks - Is there a dummy panel that can be substituted into that space?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
325 Posts
>If I do this, there are a few things that I want to know so I can start planning.
Disclaimer: posting in part just to try the new forum. My knowledge is limited.

• One thing you didn't mention is integration with the steering wheel controls. If this is important, include it in your design process - its not simple / automatic.
  • I gave up on this idea because of the complexities you mentioned. In thinking about it more, I suspect the best solution would be to choose the head unit you want, then get a good custom installer to fabricate the trim pieces to make it look good. As you noted, finding a head unit to fit the trim is not going to be easy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Disclaimer: posting in part just to try the new forum. My knowledge is limited.

• One thing you didn't mention is integration with the steering wheel controls. If this is important, include it in your design process - its not simple / automatic.
  • I gave up on this idea because of the complexities you mentioned. In thinking about it more, I suspect the best solution would be to choose the head unit you want, then get a good custom installer to fabricate the trim pieces to make it look good. As you noted, finding a head unit to fit the trim is not going to be easy.
Yes, steering controls are important. That module is not terribly expensive, and the distance from the driver to the head unit makes it a necessity for me. I'm 5'8" and I have to lean to get to memory 3-6 on the radio buttons!

It appears that you can buy the single DIN Front Console Pocket (77280-S9V-A01ZA ) from the online Honda parts sites. This was a stock part in the Pilots that had the single DIN radio.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am curious as to whether there are any subtle "shape" differences between surrounds themselves in the Pre- and Post-facelift 1st Gen Pilot. Obviously the VTM-4/Hazard buttons all moved to the left, but do the trim pieces on the actual "DIN surround" areas interchange?

I have seen some mods where the head units were relocated down to the lower double DIN section, freeing up the top for Aftermarket NAV.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm still curious about the overhead RES system. What does the roof look like once that unit is removed? I can't find any reference to a delete panel to cover the holes.

·
Registered
2006 EX-L RES 2WD
58 Posts
You might be able to put in something similar to cardboard in the hole, then redo the headliner fabric. I don't know if it has a curve to it or not, but that would be a cheap DIY fix that would look good. Another option would be to find a complete headliner from a Pilot without the RES, though it will be more work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts