Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else have this problem? I noticed it a couple days ago and it seems to be getting worse. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks.

Jim

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also noted condensation in my headlght covers, since the weather has gotten cooler at night. I don't have a solution for it. It has cleared during the day as the temperature rose.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Check the seal around the headlight bulb.
It should be tight and should prevent water from entering.
You can remove the bulbs and let the housing air out. It may be good to turn on the lamps to let the housing warm up.
Then whne the condensation is gone shut them off, let them cool a few minuets (10 or 15) and remove the bulbs to alow the water vapor to vent.
Hopefully when you put the bulbs back in and reseat the seals the problem will not come back.

Remember be very carefull not to touch the glass of the bulbs with your fingers or anything that can get any type of oil on it.

Hey, this is a great excuse to put in a set of +50% bulbs from Osram, Phillips or Hella.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Duh!!!

Stupid me!
Yes, if you have not already screwed with it, have the Honda fix it.
:2:
(In my case, I have already screwed with everything)

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I had the same problem with my CR-V. I would wash it in the summer, and later in the day, I would notice condensation inside the light. At first, the dealer said the turn on the lights to dry it up. I replied the moisture only shows up after I wash it, so there's a leak somewhere that needs to be addressed.

I had to wait until it was fogged to bring it in. Then they replaced it under warranty. ;) I made an inconspicuous mark on the light prior to bringing it in to make sure they didn't just dry it out and give it back to me. :12:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good Answer!

Thanks Tim and everyone! I was thinking about trying to get in there with a hair dryer, but having the dealer take care of it with a new one under warranty is a much better deal. Thanks for the inconspicuous mark tip Green Machine, I'll be using that one!

Jim

·
Registered
185 Posts
Warranty

Had the same problem early on with my 89 Civic [still running strong]. Both assemblies were replaced under warranty; problem never returned.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got back from the dealer. A new one will be in Tuesday, along with my two missing body plugs.

First trip to service is smooth so far. The service advisor said his sister just got a Pilot last week.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have a manager that has a Lexas GS400 (or something like that) and he has had the same problem. In fact both have been replaced and has the condensation forming on the new pair!! I am not sure replacing them could be a fix, but it couldn't hurt to try.

·
Registered
25 Posts
condensation

I have the same problem on my 2001 Mercury Cougar- dealer said they are suing the manufacture of the parts- no authorized fix yet!
I think it will fall apart before I get it fixed!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Re: condensation

mudmanfl said:

The light or the Cougar?;) :p Just kidding.

I see more and more automobiles affected by this. Yesterday, as my wife and I drove around, we saw a brand new Lincoln Navigator at the dealer sitting for sale that had condensation build up in both fog lamps and about an inch or so of water inside the passenger rear tail lamp. No excuse for such shotty parts when you're paying $50k+!:( :mad:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
I call BS!

mudmanfl said:
I have the same problem on my 2001 Mercury Cougar- dealer said they are suing the manufacture of the parts- no authorized fix yet!
You bought the car from Mercury, not the OEM, Mercury has to fix YOUR problem.
The OEM has to fix Mercury's problem.
Don't let them make you wait, get a new set of (bad) lamps, then a new set of fixed lamps when they are available.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Headlights are made in Battle Creek, MI by II STANLEY ELECTRIC and are engineered not to fog regardless of enviroment conditions...get it replaced at your dealer ASAP! chop chop

Domo Arigato

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Done.

PILOTHEAD said:
Headlights are made in Battle Creek, MI by II STANLEY ELECTRIC and are engineered not to fog regardless of enviroment conditions...get it replaced at your dealer ASAP! chop chop

Domo Arigato
They replaced it the following week at no charge. :29:

·
Registered
234 Posts
This is an old thread, but yesterday, after washing the Pilot, I found that there was some condensation in the headlight covers :(, particular in the areas where there were waterdrops still on the cover (before I dryed the car). In about 15 minutes, the condensation went away.

Problem doesn't seem serious now, but if it gets worse, I'm going to bring it in for replacement under warranty as the others have suggested.

Question is why does the condensation only appear in the inside parts of the lamp where there were drops of water on equivalent outside area (these were in the middle part of the lamp, not the edges) :confused: Is this due to the water on the outside cooling the area directly under the waterdrops so that condensation forms ? :8:

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
A few weeks ago, I thought I noticed a small foggy spot in the same location on both headlights. The other day, I noticed some droplets inside both backup lights. I've been checking ever since and haven't noticed a recurrence of either phenomenon. Keeping my fingers crossed. I just hope it's from the colder weather, but the moisture shouldn't even be there. If I see it again, I'll try to take some pics.

I've seen water build up in headlights and tail lights, but I've never owned a car that suffered from it. If my Pilot does, I'll be pi$$ed. :cursin:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Noticed condensation on the inside of my 4 month old Pilot after a round of snow and cold weather. After reading the posts here on this site thought I should take the Pilot by the dealership and have it checked out. The service manager said he had seen this problem in other Honda's but had not seen it in a Pilot. He did however say it should not be happening and ordered a new headlight on the spot.

Can't complain about that service. Also, this is the first problem we have noticed in 5000 miles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts