Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find a “Computer Memory Keeper” to hookup when I have to disconnect the battery in my 2020 EX-L AWD Pilot so I don’t lose all of the data stored in all of the devices, radio, computers , settings for windows, readiness codes for SMOG etc. Any ideas? Is anyone using one? Looks like the 12V OBDII port type is probably better than the 9V plug.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I am trying to find a “Computer Memory Keeper” to hookup when I have to disconnect the battery in my 2020 EX-L AWD Pilot so I don’t lose all of the data stored in all of the devices, radio, computers , settings for windows, readiness codes for SMOG etc. Any ideas? Is anyone using one? Looks like the 12V OBDII port type is probably better than the 9V plug.
Do you have a lithium jumper battery? Does it have one of these?

If so you could plug one of these into it

or you could get one of these or one like it and plug it into an unswitched cigarette lighter socket

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
If you have a lithium battery kit, the first suggestion looks good.

For the second, aren't all stock cigarette lighters on the Pilot switched? I think they are on my 2006, anyway. In that case, do you plug it in after turning your key to Accessory mode?

How about this, then, through the cigarette lighter with a 9v battery?

https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-648539-Computer-Memory-Keeper/dp/B004BW9J1Y/ref=sr_1_1?crid=17END8D81YJ71&dchild=1&keywords=car+memory+keeper&qid=1614406546&sprefix=car+memory,aps,229&sr=8-1

But I'd get one that goes to the OBD2 port instead.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You ask. Aren't all stock cigarette lighters on the Pilot switched? On my 2020 EX-L , yes they are. Have you tried the OBDII (second suggestion) ?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
If you have a lithium battery kit, the first suggestion looks good.

For the second, aren't all stock cigarette lighters on the Pilot switched? I think they are on my 2006, anyway. In that case, do you plug it in after turning your key to Accessory mode?

How about this, then, through the cigarette lighter with a 9v battery?

https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-648539-Computer-Memory-Keeper/dp/B004BW9J1Y/ref=sr_1_1?crid=17END8D81YJ71&dchild=1&keywords=car+memory+keeper&qid=1614406546&sprefix=car+memory,aps,229&sr=8-1

But I'd get one that goes to the OBD2 port instead.

I believe they all are switched. I'd turn the key on after the battery was plugged in.

I should think you could connect the temporary battery to any cigarette lighter socket, turn the ignition switch to on II, and change the car battery without any problem. The lithium jumper adapted to the OBD port would be better. I think the OP said he preferred the OBD port to the 9v setup so I assumed he knew about it already.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another way is with jumper cables attached to the battery cables (not the posts). Pos to Pos, neg to neg, remove battery cables for old battery, replace battery, secure battery cables, remove jumper cables.... You could connect to another car, or use a small stand alone like a motorcycle battery for the power source.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Another way is with jumper cables attached to the battery cables (not the posts). Pos to Pos, neg to neg, remove battery cables for old battery, replace battery, secure battery cables, remove jumper cables.... You could connect to another car, or use a small stand alone like a motorcycle battery for the power source.
Yes, that should work. Personally, I'm not a fan of connecting other cars to my electrical system if I can help it. You know, STD-TCs Socially Transmitted Diagnostic Trouble Codes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts