Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to replace compliance bushings on my 2011 pilot. Way out of warranty. The repair manual specifies several of the fasteners to be replaced, not reused. It gives the size of the metric bolt, but not the length. Example, the two bolts that hold the bushing are 14x 1.5mm, bolt diameter and thread pitch, but no indication of length. Any body been down this road?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I reused all bolts and used removable thread-locker. I also did not go to the trouble of removing lower ball joint. Just pulled axle allowing the steering knuckle to swing out giving enough room to remove the CB.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Honda dealer I went to never heard of installing new fasteners, didn't know WTF I was talking about, looked at me like I had two heads and told me I was out of my mind.

I was able to order them on eBay.

In retrospect, I think its a gimmick, those bolts are seriously beefy, if I had it to do again, I'd reuse them.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Its not really a gimmick. Bolts stretch as they are torqued. The honda manual states to replace many bolts when changing certain components.

I change the bolts if the manual says to and often times i order bolts even if it doesnt say to replace them. Because in a jam where are you going to get a 8x50mm bolt?? For example.

What blows my mind are the bolts the dealer does not carry. Like control arm bolts. The manual says to replace them and the dealer does not carry them.

So do you think they follow the manual?? Remember that when you pay all that money at the dealer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered the recommended replacement hardware. You still need to remove the 16mm bolt in the lower arm to get enough movement? I like the idea of leaving the ball joint in place.

·
Registered
209 Posts
loosen CB and the other bolt. That leaves the lower ball joint connected to the swing arm. Remove the axle and this allows the entire strut and steering knuckle to move to allow you to drop the CB. Note that before you torque everything back the tire should be on the ground.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CBushings

Freebird, Thanks for the tip, will be working on it Friday or Saturday, no rush.

·
Registered
60 Posts
As others have done,I just got Honda to pay 80% of the cost to replace the compliance bushing that were out of the extended warranty on our 2011 with 126,000 miles. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1 Posts
As others have done,I just got Honda to pay 80% of the cost to replace the compliance bushing that were out of the extended warranty on our 2011 with 126,000 miles. Thanks everyone!
How did you accomplish this? Was just at my dealer today with my 09 with 106K and he told me they Honda wouldn't grandfather it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts