Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have torn compliance bushings.

I don't want to purchase the whole control arm, and plan on removing the old bushings and installing new ones.

After doing some research, I can't find a definitive answer on what the term is for this specific bushing (maybe "Lower Control Arm Rear Bushing"?), and what the specs are (dimensions, not torque).

See attached picture for the bushing I need to replace.

I need to know which bushing to purchase and if it's compatible with this tool:

https://www.kommentools.com/collect...ssey-mdx-pilot-lower-control-arm-bushing-tool

The description reads "designed to remove and replace the large 65mm hydro-bushings on the front-axle lower control arms."

I like this tool because it's the cheapest one I can find and I'm on a budget (otherwise I'd avoid the hassle, and just purchase the arm).

I'd rent one, but can find a shop locally that has one.

I found the bushing I need (I think) here:

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~bush~51393-s3v-a01.html

But, I don't see dimensions, so I don't know if the above mentioned tool will work.

Any help?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
539 Posts
With apologies for not answering the question that was asked (I don't know the answer)...

The LCA in the pic looks well-used. If both compliance bushings are gone, the ball joint is probably close behind. I don't see any value in replacing the bushings to save the original arm and ball joint. With the tool alone costing $50, this job has a good chance of costing more than just installing a complete LCA.

I don't think the bushing in the pic looks terrible. Unless the vehicle is driving really badly, I would let it ride until you can afford a complete, non-OEM LCA. The bolts that hold it all together won't be going anywhere in the next six months or so.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I recently replaced the Lower Control Arm and it was not a total piece of cake. I'd hate to do the job twice if other bushings in the control arm need changing soon after. I bought this from 1A Auto, and I got both for $157 shipped. So far so good. both sides looked pretty pitiful, but the roads near my home are full of potholes, so I suspect it's related.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,748 Posts
With apologies for not answering the question that was asked (I don't know the answer)...

The LCA in the pic looks well-used. If both compliance bushings are gone, the ball joint is probably close behind. I don't see any value in replacing the bushings to save the original arm and ball joint. With the tool alone costing $50, this job has a good chance of costing more than just installing a complete LCA.

I don't think the bushing in the pic looks terrible. Unless the vehicle is driving really badly, I would let it ride until you can afford a complete, non-OEM LCA. The bolts that hold it all together won't be going anywhere in the next six months or so.
Finding myself at the same decisional crossroads, I bit the bullet and had the complete LCA replaced by a trusted mechanic. In retrospect it was the right choice. I'm all for DIY of sub parts when it makes sense, but once you factor in hassle and the possibility of having to revisit the repair sooner rather than later, sometimes that tips the scales.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I recently replaced the Lower Control Arm and it was not a total piece of cake. I'd hate to do the job twice if other bushings in the control arm need changing soon after. I bought this from 1A Auto, and I got both for $157 shipped. So far so good. both sides looked pretty pitiful, but the roads near my home are full of potholes, so I suspect it's related.
Finding myself at the same decisional crossroads, I bit the bullet and had the complete LCA replaced by a trusted mechanic. In retrospect it was the right choice. I'm all for DIY of sub parts when it makes sense, but once you factor in hassle and the possibility of having to revisit the repair sooner rather than later, sometimes that tips the scales.
Appreciate the feedback. I think I'm going to hold out until I can afford to replace both LCA's. Don't want to purchase a tool that I'm likely only to use once, and I'll feel a lot better about the whole assembly being switched out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Appreciate the feedback. I think I'm going to hold out until I can afford to replace both LCA's. Don't want to purchase a tool that I'm likely only to use once, and I'll feel a lot better about the whole assembly being switched out.
Start spraying the bolts now with rust penetrant like Liquid Wrench, every few days or week in advance. It will help when you eventually do the work to replace the whole arm. You'll need a ball joint separator with adjustable holes, they are about 6-8 bucks. The ones you can rent did not allow for enough room to fit when I did mine. I bought Moogs from Rockauto and got new bolts from MagAuto (online Honda Dealer). Raise the arm with a jack to put some weight on the arm, it will make getting that rear bolt off easier. That rear part gets taken off first (circled in your pic), and is also the first part to get installed when you put it back together, then the front horizontal bolt, then the ball joint. Trust me, it will make the job much easier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts