Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the TSB 14-045 should also apply to 2015 models? Here is the TSB for reference. It states it covers 2009-2014 models, but there are no differences between the 2014 and 2015s that I'm aware of.
https://honda.oemdtc.com/TSB/A15-045.pdf

I bought our 2015 Touring new in February of 2015. It quickly developed a loud clunking noise not too long after purchase. It happened sporadicly and there was nothing I could do to make it happen. It occurred most when starting to drive after being at a complete stop. I asked my Honda dealer to check it out in January of 2017 with approximately 29k miles. They of course could not replicate the issue but did note the problem I was having on the invoice and that they could not figure it out. Fast forward to today at 46k miles and 3 years 8 months after purchase, I had an alignment because it began pulling the right very severely(was not performed by the Honda dealer). The mechanic took me back to the lift to show me that the wheel was moving side to side and had play that should be there. He told me one of the bushings in the front lower control arm needed to be replaced, but I don't know if it's one of the regular polyurethane bushing or the actual compliance bushing thats supposed to be covered for 7 years/100k miles. With all of this being said, is it possible that Honda may replace this under warranty since (1) the 2014 and 2015 models are the same and (2) I brought it to the service advisors attention when my car was still under warranty?

·
Registered
844 Posts
First, I'm curious as to who is doing this wheel alignment. Firestone? Sears? They love to point out unnecessary things that need immediate "addressing" which adds up quickly to an astonishing, but unneeded quote.

However, wheel side to side play is a wheel bearing, not bushing. Wheel bearings are known to be weak on our Pilots and replacements are commonplace before 80K. Front wheel bearings are also part of the power-train warranty and covered for 5 yrs / 60K.

The 2015 compliance bushings are the revised ones hence the TSB does not apply.

The compliance busing will seep a black fluid when it fails from this area like this:

If there is no leakage, then they are fine. The only thing you will hear when these go bad is clunking noises from the control arm hitting bumping around and smacking into flanges above and below it. But you'll see it seeping before you hear anything.

I say take it to a reputable mechanic, one that is familiar with Honda/Acura for a proper diagnosis.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually just realized it’s not the compliance bushings. Upon further inespection, they both appear to be intact and not leaking. I’m beginning to think it’s the other bushing in the LCA(the one closest to the front of the car). When I lifted it up and pulled on the wheel, noticed it had a little bit of play in this area. It’s almost as if the bushing was damaged and the bolt that holds it in places was sliding around in the bushing. When I tried this on the other side I saw no play at all in that area. Do you still think it could be a wheel bearing with that being said?

The alignment was performed by National Tire and Battery. I went ahead and did their 5 year unlimited plan which was about the price of 2 alignments. I plan to go at least once a year, but can go as often as I’d like. They didn’t try to sell me on the part or even quote me a repair for that matter, so I don’t think they were trying to BS me.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I actually just realized it’s not the compliance bushings. Upon further inespection, they both appear to be intact and not leaking. I’m beginning to think it’s the other bushing in the LCA(the one closest to the front of the car). When I lifted it up and pulled on the wheel, noticed it had a little bit of play in this area. It’s almost as if the bushing was damaged and the bolt that holds it in places was sliding around in the bushing. When I tried this on the other side I saw no play at all in that area. Do you still think it could be a wheel bearing with that being said?

The alignment was performed by National Tire and Battery. I went ahead and did their 5 year unlimited plan which was about the price of 2 alignments. I plan to go at least once a year, but can go as often as I’d like. They didn’t try to sell me on the part or even quote me a repair for that matter, so I don’t think they were trying to BS me.
Awesome news. National is reputable, so I'd suspect they are correct. I'd look for damage that may have caused that and see if anything else was compromised. What do you think is loose, number 24?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I believe it's # 24 that's the issue. Is it possible that the bushing is worn out causing the bolt to move freely in there in return causing the wheel to move slightly? Could something like that cause a really bad pull when driving?

I scheduled an A1 service tomorrow morning with my local Honda dealer. They told me that if the LCA were the issue, they wouldn't cover it even though I made them aware of the loud popping noise while still under warranty(which sounds like a bad bushing in my opinion). They told me I could speak with the Service Manager and he might do it as a good faith kind of thing. I did get lucky with him several years ago about a paint recall on a 2008 Honda Civic. There was a TSB out, but I was outside of the time frame to have it completed. The Service Manager(who is still the same person now) had it repainted for me free of charge. I highly doubt he would associate me as the same person though.

If the LCA is the culprit and they won't fix it, I've found the entire part including the compliance bushing at a very reasonable price here. 2009-15 Honda Pilot Control Arm with Ball Joint - 1ASLF00407 at 1A Auto.com
It appears this is a directl replacement. Would you say it's safe to use this?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts