Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Collision Mitigation Braking - Can it be adjusted?

13K views 39 replies 21 participants last post by  zroger73 
#1 ·
I'm talking about long, medium or short. Lots of times when driving on a road that curves to the right it all get the warning with wheel shake when a car is coming the other direction. Its almost like the angle of the sensor is off. I've driven these same roads with a CRV with the Collision Mitigation Braking and never had an issue. Is this something the dealer can correct?

Thanks

#2 ·
You're right about that although I don't get a wheel or steering shake (only experience when it senses I am departing my lane). All I see is the ominous brake alert on the dashboard. Just learned to ignore it but it will definitely be in order for Honda and not the dealer to fix.

#6 ·
There would be no harm in trying the dealer but please share your experience with getting this resolved. It is what I would call a false positive alarm as it indicates there's an imminent collision when there is really none. Mine is a brand new vehicle too and so it can't be an issue with the windshield. Something is not right either in the camera that sits at the center top of the windshield or the sensor that's behind the Honda logo close to the bumper.

#12 ·
I have the same issue with my 19 EXL. No problems with my wife's 17 CRV.

Has been in to the dealer twice. They can't replicate so don't have any answers. It is erratic, but sounds like what you describe above.

If anyone has had a dealer fix theirs I would love to know what they did.

#16 ·
I’ve got this issue on my 2019 exl. The big orange brake warning light comes on and the steering wheel shakes. There is no rhyme or reason to it. Can be on a straight or curved road. It’s very infrequent, but when it does it, it’s a bit startling, which is not what you want when you are behind the wheel. It’s going in for the second time tomorrow, it can’t be right that it comes on like that. My guess is the sensors and or the camera need to be recalibrated or reangled, I’ll report back, but dealer is not getting away with we found nothing like last time.

#19 ·
Sleep, I have the same issue on my 2020 EX-L. Yes, it is CMBS. NOT lane departure. On a curvy road, for example, the road curving to the right, I'm guessing the "sensor(s)" for lack of a better term, are angled straight relative to the front of the car. Thus an oncoming car in the opposite lane "appears" to my car as if it's directly in front of it. The oncoming car is detected as a hazard and the system signals the orange BRAKE light in the instrument cluster. Does this explain it better? Thanks.

#20 ·
I’ve had it happen on curves and straightaways. I got my car back from the dealer, sure enough, they found nothing, say it’s normal, even though it might be annoying. Could be light reflecting off the sensor, which is behind the emblem in the grill, hard to believe Honda lets this kind of thing out the door where you get false warnings that shake your wheel And they call it normal. It’s bs and they just don’t know how to fix/prevent it. I’ve had similar issues with the auto high beams, which come on at wrong times and don’t go off quick enough.

not impressed with honda tech.

#24 ·
Regarding the auto high beam thing. I DID find in the manual a place where it shows you a process by which you can disable or enable auto-high beam. It isn't on the menus, but has to do with pulling on the high beam/light stalk for a certain amount of time while parked.

Text Font

#22 ·
My 2019 also randomly has the big orange "BRAKE" light come on when on certain roads with a slight curve to the right. The PDF of the owner's manual online (578-580) has 3 pages explaining when this can happen. One of the conditions is in fact when the road curves.

#26 ·
Rl, Yeah, I am aware of the instantaneous "manual" setting, but (I believe) that is reset when the car shut off and restarted. The proc above (If I read it correctly) will turn the auto high beam off until re-enabled by the same process. I haven't tried this yet.

#29 ·
I received nuisance BRAKE warnings on my '17 Ridgeline a few times a week. On my '19 Ridgeline, they were an almost daily occurrence. The dealer re-aimed the camera and radar which helped, but did not eliminate the nuisance warnings. I never received such warnings on my '16 CR-V, '18 Accord, '19 RDX, '19 MX-5 Miata, or '20 CX-5.

#31 ·
I don’t think it’s fixable. Our 2019 does the same thing. The manual has a list of things that can set it off. The system is garbage. We also have a 2019 Mazda CX-5 with cmbs, never goes off unless you are very close to a car and it has adjustable settings to set distance, like near or far.

#35 ·
the warning lights don't bother me. i went into the screen menu to disable the lane keeping assist to avoid having an accident from being tossed into another lane because of a system glitch. the majority of the time, i disable the CMBC by pushing a button. sometimes i forget to do it.

#36 ·
Most likely there will no fix for this CMBS false alarm detection. The only possible solution for us is to set it up to shortest range and have a slim viewing angle of the sensor. In electronics automation, sensing devices can be reduced by a potentiometer or just by adding something on top of the sensor itself like a clear tape just to reduced sensitivity without compromising safety.

#38 ·
Most likely there will no fix for this CMBS false alarm detection. The only possible solution for us is to set it up to shortest range and have a slim viewing angle of the sensor.
There are no adjustments for the CMBS (the feature that applies the brakes) - it's either on or off.

There are adjustments for the Forward Collision Warning (the feature that alerts the driver of a collision, but does not apply the brakes) - the FCW warning distance can be set to long, normal, or short.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.