Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little one got away from me and put a sizeable amount of change into the front air vent on my 2015 pilot. It now rattles when we drive. Any advice on how to take off the air vent cover to get to the change? Videos if possible please

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
The center vents allow stuff to fall into the airbox in the dash, making it almost impossible to remove things like coins through the vent openings. You'll have a better chance if they went into the side vents as they are connected with slightly longer hoses/connectors. All go through individual damper-doors that -might- be holding the coins.

Removal has you taking off the surrounding dashboard section first, using appropriate plastic trim tools. The covers snap in place. They are plastic, so use a lot of tape to protect the surfaces from tool damage, even using the plastic trim tools. Once the cover is off, you'll see the vent and damper held on with screws. If the coins aren't obvious, remove the vent and damper as one and you'll have access to the plenum behind the dampers in the dash.

Know that the air box that connects to the plenum assembly has a dust and pollen filter at the bottom, accessible under the glovebox. Empty the glovebox, then flex the two side "wings" to allow the glovebox door to drop further. The filter slides out, and above it there's a mesh that -may- have your coins in it. Filters should be changed regularly anyway, so grab a replacement before you start this effort unless yours is less than a year new. I'd go through this minor exercise before digging into the vents and dampers via the dash.

---

Growing up in a family of six kids, the family ride was a three-rows Chevy wagon. The single rear speaker in one was "christened" with a chocolate milkshake on it's maiden all-hands outing to McDonalds. Dad was not thrilled.... You got off easy with a few coins. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply and advice. The coins are literally just past the vent cover, I can see them so I don't think they went down any hoses. Taking the dash off is a bit above my skill level, I was hoping I wouldn't have to but thought that might be the case. Maybe I'll get some reptile feeding tongs to get them out. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
Use a hemostat, or similar clamp, forceps/tweesers, etc.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Use a hemostat, or similar clamp, forceps/tweesers, etc.
vacuum or shop-vac?
Either of these methods would be high on my list.

I'm not an MD, yet still have those doctoring weapons in a tool drawer. Except the shop-vac of course. That guy lives in a sound-insulated cabinet with the air compressors. That way the compressors can re-use the shop-vac air...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts