Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tow a 3200 pound RV with my pilot. I'm looking to beef up the rear suspension without raising the rear end too much. I'm considering coiloverr shocks. Any suggestions or brands? Thanx.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Proper weight distribution hitch is the best way because it will transfer load to the front axle. Putting in airbags will make the rear sit level but you are still putting more weight on the rear axle.

Reactions: bradster

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Proper weight distribution hitch is the best way because it will transfer load to the front axle. Putting in airbags will make the rear sit level but you are still putting more weight on the rear axle.
Thanks. I have a proper weight distribution hitch, but the rear looks like is is a bit lower when hooked up to the camper. No towing problems at all, just looks lower.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
My opinion on this comes from my dad, uncle and grandfather. They have all towed their entire lives travel trailers, fifth wheels and my grandfather and uncle have both done stints as long haul truckers.

What they beat into me is to get the weight distribution hitch dialed in first. They stressed going to the scales and spending the money to know the numbers and really dial it in, not guess.

The next step, if needed, is to add airbag helper springs and play with the pressures to get the height level (not back to the factory rake) at most. Make sure weight wasn't removed from the front axle. Record the pressure required and you should have a pretty good setup. They liked the firestone ride rite style airbag because they are easy to fix or replace and easy to install and set up.

Additional springs are great if you are running higher payload all the time, but our vehicles our so limited in payload I'd suggest the air helpers so you can revert back to stock when you are done towing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts