Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have a 2006 Honda Pilot with 170,000 miles. It has been misfiring. I moved the plugs around and coil packs too so as to determine if it is one or the other that is causing the problems. Turns out all 6 plugs were worn down such that the gap was approx 0.080"+ (versus 0.042-0.044"). I replaced all the plugs 30,000 miles ago so I am surprised that they were all worn down, and the previous plugs were all still within gap spec.

So I tested all the coil packs with a meter. I was expecting to get 0.0 resistance but instead I measured these values. Is this normal? Or are ALL the coil packs bad? The values seems pretty uniform, so I'm skeptical that they're all bad. Instead I am thinking that the iridium NGK plugs are just not long lasting for a 100,000 mile change interval. Or maybe the coil packs are in fact all bad and that is why the plugs are all worn out after only 30,000 miles. Any thoughts?

Pack Jumper *cylinder
-- -- -- 1 2 3 4 5 6
x x 0 1174Ω 1086Ω 1108Ω 1155Ω 1135Ω 1157Ω
x 0 x 49.6kΩ 46.4kΩ 46.6kΩ 48.4kΩ 48kΩ 49kΩ
0 x x 48.4kΩ 45.3kΩ 45.5kΩ 47.3kΩ 46.8kΩ 47.8kΩ
(x indicates where the meter leads were placed on the coil pack jumpers)

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,398 Posts
Are you saying that the spark plugs were worn down? Some questions...
-Where did you buy those spark plugs?
People buy them on eBay or Amazon and they can often be counterfeit.
-Were the spark plugs or coil packs oily?
-Have you ever had a valve adjustment?
A lot of people recommend doing this as a solution to misfire problems. (my mechanic checks but they have yet to need adjusting and I have 190k)
-Did you read codes that indicated a misfire or are you actually experiencing a misfire?
2x/year my car will trigger 6 cylinder misfire codes but it is very clear to me and my mechanic that the car is running perfectly. I clear the codes and go on with my day. Sometimes if I drive over a pothole the light will come on...that is why I ask.

That is as much as I know but I am sure other people have other thoughts and ideas as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I cannot remember where I bought the plugs. Probably from ebay I think. This time I went to Oreiley's and picked up the NGK plugs.
The plugs and coil packs were not oily or foiled up in any way. The tips were just worn down like I have never seen.
I have note adjusted the valves. I'd have to look through the service records to see if a dealer has done that, but I doubt it. I do most of the work on it now. But It may be time to at least measure the gap. Good point.
There were actually misfires (I could feel it missing) and the codes indicated misfire in cylinders 2 and 3.
Still wondering about the coil pack measurements though.
plug with 130,000 miles on left.....plug with 30,000 miles on the right. could be non-genuine.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,241 Posts
I'm calling it. As fake (and worn down) as a Kardashian's...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts