Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I originally posted because my pilot w/ 152k (& fresh oil change) started to make a strange valvetrain ticking noise. After much research, it looked like my timing chain tensioner was leaking so I replaced it. After I replace it, I checked the timing belt and it run straight so the new tensioner is doing it's job.
Then I got the VTM4 & various misfire codes. I ran the car while I unplugged each of the coilpacks individually. It almost appears that all 3 of the back are bad but how could that happen?
Combined with the P1399 (random misfire) & P1456 (evap emissions control).
Battery is only 2 years old and it shows 13.something while running.

Where do I start on this? I've searched and feel I've tried most of the recommended ideas. I'll keep searching but wanted to get this post out there...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay update. I took the intake cover off & cleaned the intake & egr ports really well. I cleared the codes and it does run better. However I still have the valvetrain noise?
Can someone help me with what this noise is? Do the valves need to be adjusted?
20181119_185842.mp4 - Google Drive

·
Registered
117 Posts
Buy a stethoscope and find which valves make noise. If you are lucky it would be front head, but you need to adjust them all anyway. Evaporation codes have nothing to do with valve noise. Misfire codes could be connected to bad valve clearances (zero clearance). Hurry up with valves check, 0 clearance can lead to burnt valves, which can be $1000-2000, depending on area.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Suggest to check the spark plugs and the ignition coils, and the connections. Hopefully we can find the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts