Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a 2009 Pilot. It was older than I really wanted but, it's in immaculate shape and has <90,000 miles so I went for it. A day after I bought it I started getting the P3400 code. After some research, I found out that this is pretty common and the main reason for it is a faulty oil pressure switch on the rear rocker arm. I ordered the part and replaced it but the code persisted. I also read that low quality oil can make this go off so I changed the oil as well. Still getting the code. I was then informed that the Honda V-Tec engines don't always recognize after market parts and I would need to replace the oil pressure switch with a "Genuine Honda" part. I did that and the code went away for a couple days but now it's back. Does anyone else have this problem? What's the next step? I'm totally at a loss here.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Could be an oil pressure issue. Find out what the normal pressure range should be and tie in a known good pressure gauge to be sure the pressure is where it needs to be at the sensor port.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sounds like your rear cylinder head spool valve is coked up and not allowing oil to the pressure sensor.

This would be a very expensive repair i suggest following the directions of a sludge cleaning solution as a last resort to try and flush some coking through the spool valve.

·
Registered
130 Posts
It could be a wiring problem. I dont have a print in front of me but it is just a one wire providing a ground with oil pressure i believe. You could take the connector off and jump it to ground and see if the code stays off.

·
Registered
482 Posts
What I have done in these cases is swap the oil pressure switches between front and rear bank and see if the problem moves. Only takes a minute and no cost for parts. If the code changes to P3497 then you know it's the switch. If the code stays then you know it's not the switch.

As mentioned, it can be an electrical issue or it can be a mechanical (oil flow) issue. Make sure you're using a good quality filter. I stick with Honda filters just to prevent that from being a variable and causing oil flow issues.) The service manual has you connect an oil pressure gauges setup inline with the switch but the tools they show cost about $500. I don't have them, though, there has to be a less expensive way to test it. The last one of these I had on a 2013 Ody, I changed the oil and filter (used an OEM filter) and swapped the switches. The car hasn't been back in months.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts