Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My check engine light just came on right after I had the oil pan resealed, the valve cover gaskets replaced, and the oil filter housing. I don't know if there is any relation. I got Code P0137 Oxygen Sensor Low Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2. I have a 2006 Honda Pilot LX with 157,000 miles on it. Over the past couple of years, my gas mileage has decreased to about 13 mpg. The pilot sounds and feels as though it is running well.

Honda Mechanic said I needed a new Catalytic Converter based on that code and his experience. He has not looked at the car yet just a phone call. I asked how much to change the O2 sensor and he said that won't fix it. The cost of a new Cat is over $1,000.

On this site, people with a bad Cat got another code.

Question 1: Anybody experience this code? Was it the O2 Sensor or the CAT?
Question 2: Anybody replaced the CAT with an aftermarket one?
Question 3: How much did it cost you?
Question 4: What are the consequences of simply driving with a bad CAT?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
My check engine light just came on right after I had the oil pan resealed, the valve cover gaskets replaced, and the oil filter housing. I don't know if there is any relation. I got Code P0137 Oxygen Sensor Low Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2. I have a 2006 Honda Pilot LX with 157,000 miles on it. Over the past couple of years, my gas mileage has decreased to about 13 mpg. The pilot sounds and feels as though it is running well.

Honda Mechanic said I needed a new Catalytic Converter based on that code and his experience. He has not looked at the car yet just a phone call. I asked how much to change the O2 sensor and he said that won't fix it. The cost of a new Cat is over $1,000.

Thanks
Replace the sensor. Make sure it's Denso brand.
If you don't have a P0420 or P0430 code, your cats are not out of business. And even then other things could cause these cat codes.
Do you have VCM on your vehicle? 2wd or AWD?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I have a VCM (engine #J35Z1) and 2WD. About how much labor to replace the O2 sensor? Can the mechanic test the CAT before changing the sensor (I would hate to pay for the sensor replacement and then come back and tell me to replace the CAT for another $1,000!).

Your help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
Yes, I have a VCM (engine #J35Z1) and 2WD. About how much labor to replace the O2 sensor? Can the mechanic test the CAT before changing the sensor (I would hate to pay for the sensor replacement and then come back and tell me to replace the CAT for another $1,000!).

Your help is greatly appreciated.
You have a sensor code not a catalytic converter code. The sensor is bad or you have a wire to the sensor that is burned, gounding out etc. The O2 sensor can be tested to see if it is good or not. A good mechanic should know how. As I said above, there is no reason to replace your cat(s). Even if they were replaced, you need this sensor working and it can be used with new cats.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
My check engine light just came on right after I had the oil pan resealed, the valve cover gaskets replaced, and the oil filter housing
Check out RockAuto.com for the Denso or NTK O2 sensor(s). There you will also find an aftermarket CAT by Walker. During my 16 yr old exhaust replacement one O2 sensor broke and to simplify the DIY installation a new CAT was ordered.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,275 Posts
Get your Denso or NTK O2 sensor here. Avoid other aftermarket brands in the case of O2 sensors.

Don't forget to claim your Piloteers 5% discount. :)

5% Discount Code: 3AE5CBE8F18A03
Expires: November 12, 2020

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
@martyk4321
Is it possible that you too have P0420 and/or P0430 codes? You have a 2006 with 157k miles on it. It is likely you have or have had these codes. Especially since your vehicle is equiped with VCM. Your mechanic may know something we don't know. If you want to try and avoid an expensive cat replacement, Correct what causes cat failure. Disabling the VCM would stop a lot of oil from going into your exhaust system.
I'd repare/replace the O2 sensor and try the $95 S-VCM fix to try and save my cats. (Just understand the risk of using this device). This can work if your vehicles air/fuel system and O2 sensors are functioning normally and your cats are not to far gone.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
2005 Pilot EX 4WD, 2007 Accord DX Sedan, 2.4L
13 Posts

Thanks
I suggest changing the O2 sensor. I had auto shops telling me to replace the Catalytic Converter, but more research told me it was a sensor. It's pretty easy to do yourself if you are comfortable DIYing as the car has enough lift to crawl underneath. You'll spend probably more time trying to get the electrical clip undone than removing the sensor. Start with the sensor. They fail after a while, much earlier than the Catalytic Converter. It's actually a pretty demanding environment for an electrical component.

Replacing the sensor is probably around $50. An O2 Sensor Tool is under $10, but can usually be borrowed for free from a local auto store. A shop should be able to do it in under an hour, easily.

The Honda Mechanic is full of junk. The fact he wouldn't even change a sensor first, the cheapest item, is ridiculous, but hey, stealerships - amirite? Find a non-stealership for a quote.

As for Question 2, you didn't state what state your car is registered in. Food for thought: Certain states have very restrictive rules on replacing the Catalytic Converter, such as CA, NY and other states that follow CA's rules. If it is state like MT that doesn't do vehicle inspections, heck, who needs a CAT?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had the same code show up on my 2007 Pilot a couple weeks ago . Went so far to test is several times no Cat code showed up. Used my scanner and turned the code off. Headed to the local auto parts to get an Ox Sensor. After talking to a guy there with a pilot he said his came on and he turned it off with his scanner and it has never came back on . After about 200 miles it still has not come back on . If you don’t have a scanner you can remove the negative battery cable for a minute and it resets the code.

·
Registered
2005 Pilot EX 4WD, 2007 Accord DX Sedan, 2.4L
13 Posts
Had the same code show up on my 2007 Pilot a couple weeks ago . Went so far to test is several times no Cat code showed up. Used my scanner and turned the code off. Headed to the local auto parts to get an Ox Sensor. After talking to a guy there with a pilot he said his came on and he turned it off with his scanner and it has never came back on . After about 200 miles it still has not come back on . If you don’t have a scanner you can remove the negative battery cable for a minute and it resets the code.
I did the same thing for about 6 months in college - ended up just buying an OBD2 reader off Amazon for cheap so I could reset it myself in case any other MIL came on and I wouldn't have to constantly go to the store. Sometimes it would stay off for a week at a time. I can't recall where I saw this, but the Pilots only runs the emission tests in a specific condition like in 3rd gear at 40mph with a warm engine while coasting/cruising. And the code only gets thrown after 3 successive failures on different trips (car turns off and on).

Had to wait for the ice/snow to melt and it to warm up a bit before I wanted to replace the sensor. And besides, rolling around in ice salt is not the most fun thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not saying you are wrong , word of thumb with the guys at the auto parts . 80 to 100 miles
if it stays offf it was a glitch.

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
Not saying you are wrong , word of thumb with the guys at the auto parts . 80 to 100 miles
if it stays offf it was a glitch.
I'm having doubts it's a glitch, it's best to see if a wire grounding out or the need for a new sensor (more likely). These things usually don't go away. Most hope the CEL stays off long enough to pass inspection 😅, but regardless the poor fuel air mixture as a result of, and waiting, is soon to cause emission or misfire codes and terrible fuel economy.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,275 Posts
Do post back if the O2 sensor P0137 code comes back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts