Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my oil and filter changed, and tires rotated, on my 2019 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD, because it was giving me the message:
Maintenance Due Soon
A1
The service adviser had a laminated card on his desk with the Minder System codes:
A or B: Oil and Filter Service
1: Tire Rotation
2: Engine & cabin air filter replacement
3: Transmission Fluid Service (ATF or CVT)
4: Tune Up Service (spark plugs, valve adjustment, water pump replacement, coolant, external drive belt(s). For V6 add timing belt and timing belt tensioner.
5: Coolant Service
6: Rear Differential Service (4WD only)
7: Brake Fluid Exchange
8: Inspect Front & Rear Brakes
Now it displays:
Oil Life : 100%
B
Why is the letter "B" now displayed after the oil change and oil life reset by the dealer?

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
I believe B is refering to oil filter along with below, A is oil only

B
Replace engine oil
andoil filter

Engine oil capacity with oil filter: 5.4 L (5.7 US qt)

Inspect front and rear brakes

[FONT=honda_special_symbols]
[/FONT]
Check pads and discs for wear (thickness), damage, and cracks.

[/FONT]
Check calipers for damage, leaks, and tightness of mounting bolts.

[/FONT]
Check parking brake linings for cracking, glazing, wear, and for oil or grease contamination.

Check parking brake adjustment

Check the number of clicks (9 to 11) when parking brake pedal is pressed with 294 N (30.0 kgf, 66.1 lbf) of force.

Check expiry date for temporary tire repair kit bottle (if equipped)
Inspect tie-rod ends, steering gearbox, and gearbox boots

[/FONT]
Check steering linkage.

[/FONT]
Check boots for damage and leaking grease.

Inspect suspension components

[/FONT]
Check bolts for tightness.

[/FONT]
Check condition of ball joint boots for deterioration and damage.

Inspect driveshaft boots

Check boots for cracks and boot bands for tightness.

Inspect brake hoses and lines

Check master cylinder and ABS/VSA modulator-control unit for damage and leakage.

Inspect all fluid levels and condition of fluids
[/FONT]
Engine coolant

[/FONT]
Automatic transmission fluid

[/FONT]
Transfer assembly fluid

[/FONT]
Rear differential fluid

[/FONT]
Brake fluid

[/FONT]
Windshield washer fluid

Inspect exhaust system

Check catalytic converter heat shields, exhaust pipes, and muffler for damage, leaks, and tightness.

Inspect fuel lines
andconnections

Check for loose connections, cracks, and deterioration; retighten loose connections and replace damaged parts.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Not sure why your "B" would be showing already since it was just reset after the "A" service. As pointed out above, "A" is just an oil change (no filter change). "B" is oil and filter change required.

I'm not sure, but perhaps when you check the oil life, it lists what maintenance will be due next? When it does become due, it might at that time add another sub code such as "1" since I think most owner's get that as their next item after just an "A" service.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I WOULD JUST RESET SINCE FILTER WAS RECENTLy REPLACED. WHO KNOWS WHAT THAT COMPUTER WAS THINKING. B WITHOUT SUB CODE IS FILTER ONLY AND MINOR CRAP LISTED BELOW..

All maintenance items in the display are in code. There are two codes: Main-codes and Sub-codes. Your vehicle will always be due for a main code, and at times for a sub-code. Please refer to your owner's manual, Honda Service History booklet, and the following chart to interpret the code:

Main Code
What it means:

A CODE: Replace just the engine oil

B CODE: Replace the engine oil, oil filter, rotate the tires, inspect the front and rear brakes, check the parking brake adjustment, and inspect other items specific to your vehicle

·
Registered
337 Posts
In over 45 years of doing oil changes with my dad when I was young, on my cars, families & friends cars I can't recall ever doing the oil and NOT the filter at the same time.

Has anybody brought their car in to a dealer for oil change and they asked if you wanted the filter changed also?

·
Registered
223 Posts
In over 45 years of doing oil changes with my dad when I was young, on my cars, families & friends cars I can't recall ever doing the oil and NOT the filter at the same time.

Has anybody brought their car in to a dealer for oil change and they asked if you wanted the filter changed also?

Changing the oil and not replacing the filter... is like taking a dump and not using toilet paper... it's just doing the job half way... :flush: .

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The service adviser said the code A was for oil and filter change, and that is what my receipt for the service says too.

But to get back to my original question, if any of you have had an oil & filter change and you navigate to the oil life indicator (Driver Information Interface > Maintenance > Oil Life), does it only show the percentage, or does it also display a code under the percentage like mine now does with the code B?

I am guessing they did not properly reset the oil life monitor since this code B is displayed...

·
Registered
223 Posts
...I am guessing they did not properly reset the oil life monitor since this code B is displayed...

That's exactly what it looks like happened.

Reset your Service Minder and it should all go back to normal, until your next oil change is needed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's exactly what it looks like happened.

Reset your Service Minder and it should all go back to normal, until your next oil change is needed.
So I reset the service minder by going to Driver Information Interface > Maintenance > Oil Life and pressing Enter button for 10+ seconds (as specified in the owners manual) and then selecting Clear Only B, and guess what, then A was displayed.
After a power cycle I again did a reset by selecting Clear Only A and then B was displayed again.
I redid this a few times, and I also tried to select Clear All but it still continued to display A or B.

Can someone confirm, that on a 2019 Pilot after the first oil and filter change around 5000 miles, that the Oil Life display only displays 100% with no A or B code below it?

Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also tried to reset it from the audio/information screen Settings -> Vehicle -> Maintenance Information -> Oil Life > Maintenance Items / B. Oil & Filter, but the B code under oil life 100% in the instrument cluster remains.

Can someone else that has had the first oil change on a 2019 let me know if they also have a code B displayed under the "Oil Life: 100%" in the instrument cluster?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Also tried to reset it from the audio/information screen Settings -> Vehicle -> Maintenance Information -> Oil Life > Maintenance Items / B. Oil & Filter, but the B code under oil life 100% in the instrument cluster remains.

Can someone else that has had the first oil change on a 2019 let me know if they also have a code B displayed under the "Oil Life: 100%" in the instrument cluster?
Haven't done an oil change yet, but looking at oil life I do see an orange "A" showing up below "Oil Life: 80%" in the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haven't done an oil change yet, but looking at oil life I do see an orange "A" showing up below "Oil Life: 80%" in the instrument cluster.
Thanks, based on this maybe it is supposed to show what type of service is coming up even if it is not due yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
As long as the wrench is gone, that's what matters. "B" is just referring for the upcoming service when it hits 15%. depending on your driving habit, some sub-items will also appears on or before 15% along with B. "RESET ONLY" when you perform those recommended services. if you just reset without doing it, your pretty much cheating yourself.

I think the reason why oil only is replaced during A service is to keep the low cost of maintaining the vehicle Honda is Promoting. I will still change my oil and filter no later than 5k

·
Registered
734 Posts
As long as the wrench is gone, that's what matters. "B" is just referring for the upcoming service when it hits 15%. depending on your driving habit, some sub-items will also appears on or before 15% along with B. "RESET ONLY" when you perform those recommended services. if you just reset without doing it, your pretty much cheating yourself.

I think the reason why oil only is replaced during A service is to keep the low cost of maintaining the vehicle Honda is Promoting. I will still change my oil and filter no later than 5k

I have to disagree with the thought that Honda is promoting low costs of maintaining the vehicle. Brake fluid change every 3 years, rear differential fluid change 15000 miles and then 30000 miles (or sooner according to some dealers), transmission fluid change and cost of the special transmission fluid needed for the 9 speed transmissions, front differential fluid changes, and all of the "inspections" required at some of the oil changes.

Very expensive if a dealer were to do all of the things Honda says to do, nothing low cost about it. I have always said though that I believe that is why Honda's and Toyota's seem to last longer than many other brands. Look at all of the others that have a "lifetime" transmission or differential fluid, or that only need a coolant flush or replacement after the first 150000 miles, etc.

Kind of like the old saying pay me now or pay me later. This is the first Honda we have owned and bought it knowing about their higher maintenance requirements and the extra costs it would involve vs other brands we have owned. Truthfully, the other brands usually held up very well with less maintenance called for than this Pilot, but it is what it is.

I agree with the 5000 mile oil and filter change, that is what I have been doing for at least 20 years now if not longer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have to disagree with the thought that Honda is promoting low costs of maintaining the vehicle. Brake fluid change every 3 years, rear differential fluid change 15000 miles and then 30000 miles (or sooner according to some dealers), transmission fluid change and cost of the special transmission fluid needed for the 9 speed transmissions, front differential fluid changes, and all of the "inspections" required at some of the oil changes.

Very expensive if a dealer were to do all of the things Honda says to do, nothing low cost about it. I have always said though that I believe that is why Honda's and Toyota's seem to last longer than many other brands. Look at all of the others that have a "lifetime" transmission or differential fluid, or that only need a coolant flush or replacement after the first 150000 miles, etc.
I don't think you understand what I'm trying to say. Vehicles now a day as well as Honda, when they are selling it they are claiming they are low cost to maintain meaning average vehicles will be more expensive to maintain for the first 100k. you will see it on advertisements. Now, once you own the vehicle, you wont see these things because it is really expensive to maintain these vehicles. In general, Honda uses MM system (which they want you to follow - not mileage base) which is based on driving habit and conditions and stretches mileage for a normal driven vehicle and driving conditions. They also reduces oil filter replacement every other oil change. anything they can squeeze out to make it low cost to maintain counts. Remember, this is only for the First 100k. After that,....who knows what you will be needing. Thats only MY thoughts and observation.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EXL AWD
54 Posts
I did mine last month for the first time at 3400 miles. When resetting the code, I remember there was a part where it asked if I want to reset all codes A and B, A code or B code
I chose A and B. Maybe that's why I never got the B code anymore.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts