Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 03 Pilot is primarily driven by my wife. I had the opportunity to drive it for the last three days. It has a persistent clunk that appears only after being taken out of park,driven and the first time the brakes are applied. The clunk happens only once and sounds as if it is coming from the rear. I have tried it with and without the parking brake being applied while parked with no difference. Has anyone else experienced this noise?

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
JeffU said:
My 03 Pilot is primarily driven by my wife. I had the opportunity to drive it for the last three days. It has a persistent clunk that appears only after being taken out of park,driven and the first time the brakes are applied. The clunk happens only once and sounds as if it is coming from the rear. I have tried it with and without the parking brake being applied while parked with no difference. Has anyone else experienced this noise?
JeffU: See all the other threads about this same topic by clicking (no pun intended) here...

Bottom line: it's normal!!! :)

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
It's supposed to be normal, even for MDX's. Do a search for "brake click" or "brake clunk" and you'll find many posts about it. There were some people, particularly some MDX owners who had the sound disappear by having some shim inserted in the calipers, but that supposedly wears out the brake pads prematurely.

The sound comes from the calipers "floating" by a few milimeters when there's a change in direction, such as going from R-D or vise versa. It was very annoying and disconcerting at first, but I've learned to live with it.

(I see a thread merge coming soon :D )

1 - 3 of 3 Posts