Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed this? everytime we start the pilot I hear a noise from the engine compartment that sounds like a gear engaging similar to what you hear when shifting into 4 wheels on a traditonal SUV, this happens within seconds of starting the vehicle but before it is shifted. it sounds like a hard treansmisssion shift and you feel a slight engagment type of thing happening, maybe it is normal? I looke dthough other threads and couldnt see anything that looked close to what we are experiencing it doesnt sound that load but loud enogh to make me think something is wrong kind of a clunk thunk be bop

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
My AC is always set to come on. No clunk, thunk or be-bop. Think this is a new one... :confused:

·
Registered
199 Posts
A/C

I agree with the moderator. The a/c compressor has a delay built in so the starter motor does not experience the stress. Try it with your system off. Does it do it all of the time? Hot? Cold? I am not sure why, but there are times when I can hear my compressor engage and others it is less obtrusive. Have you checked the trans fluid? Even if your motor is cold, when the compressor comes on, so will one of the cooling fans. It is rubber mounted, but could have a hose or something next to it and makes contact when it twists up to speed. Need more data. Come to think of it, I really don't need another project. BPILOT

·
Registered
797 Posts
I, too, have heard the clunk, but have a hard time getting it to occur on demand. Not sure what it is. First time I heard it, thought my daughter in the back seat had done it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
another one of those intermittant noises gotta love it!:3: Ill keep posting here with any new info ...

anyone else heard this?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Clunk

I know what it would be in mine. A squirrel trying to jump between the blades of the fan.....

Likely the compressor, I hear it in other things I drive when it's started in defrost or cooling mode.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it does sound like something engaging...but not being in drive you dont really notice any power loss like you would when the AC Kicks in

·
Registered
3 Posts
Clunking Sound

I too hear the Clunking sound occasionally, a few seconds after starting the engine. Always a "cold" start though. Have not heard it with a warm engine. I suspect the torque convertor in the transmission. Plan on discusing this with service rep this week as I only have 800 miles on the Pilot.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Count me in too, but it only comes on when the ac/heat is on when I start the car in the morning. If it is off, I don't hear the clunk at all.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My only problem here is that my wife is the primary driver so i cant montor it and she does not notice these things like I do:(

·
Registered
27 Posts
The noise you describe sounds very much like what we had in our 2000 Accord EX when we first got it. I reported it to the service manager when we went in for an oil change. I really thought nothing would come of it, but when we picked up the car it was fixed. Turned out that the vacuum lines made a clunk when they first had a pressure drop. The dealer had an advisory or such which gave instructions on re-routing the lines. No more clunk. The moral is, tell the dealer about it, you too may be surprised.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Could be a cat crawled up in there to get warm?:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Clunking noise

I have heard this clunking noise on my pilot, but mine only sounds when I make a right or a left turn after starting engine. It sounds as if something is been engaged and then you don't hear the sound.

·
Registered
138 Posts
PILOTHEAD said:
My only problem here is that my wife is the primary driver so i cant montor it and she does not notice these things like I do:(
I can relate to that !

Also, my wife thinks I'm getting paranoid on reading the posts here and trying to listen to "noises" in the pilot !:werd:

·
Registered
991 Posts
My wifes 98 Jimmy does the same thing after starting it up, mind you not every time.. Don't think it is anything to worry about.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts