Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a fix for the clunking noise that my 2012 Honda Pilot makes when turning left or right at take off and also when in reverse on takeoff? I have replaced the sway bar and new rotors and brakes. Any help will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
80 Posts
There are so many different things that could come from it is hard to say. I have been fighting against this too recently. I just replaced my sway bar bushings, my front shocks, my top mounts w/ bearings, and greased my Moog end links. My clunk seems to be gone for the time being, but unfortunately, I did this all in one fell swoop so I can't isolate which item might have been the root cause.

When you replaced the sway bar, did you also replace the bushings? Mine were worn at 160k and allowed for sway bar deflection in the mount. I am not sure if this was my clunk or not, but I replaced them anyway. What about the end links? I replaced mine with Moog end links at around 150k, but I feel like they are loosening up already at 160k. Endlinks are typically the culprit when you are getting sway bar clunks, not the sway bar itself.

What pads did you use when you did your brakes? Some aftermarket pads don't sit snug in the caliper bracket and can slide forward or backward (relative to the braking direction) when applying the brakes. If this is happening, you will get an audible, metallic clunk every time you move forward/move backward and stop.

Also, I just replaced my stock 160k mile top strut mounts and shocks. The plastic part of the bearing was worn through in a few spots and could have been contributing to my clunk.

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
There are so many different things that could come from it is hard to say. I have been fighting against this too recently. I just replaced my sway bar bushings, my front shocks, my top mounts w/ bearings, and greased my Moog end links. My clunk seems to be gone for the time being, but unfortunately, I did this all in one fell swoop so I can't isolate which item might have been the root cause.

When you replaced the sway bar, did you also replace the bushings? Mine were worn at 160k and allowed for sway bar deflection in the mount. I am not sure if this was my clunk or not, but I replaced them anyway. What about the end links? I replaced mine with Moog end links at around 150k, but I feel like they are loosening up already at 160k. Endlinks are typically the culprit when you are getting sway bar clunks, not the sway bar itself.

What pads did you use when you did your brakes? Some aftermarket pads don't sit snug in the caliper bracket and can slide forward or backward (relative to the braking direction) when applying the brakes. If this is happening, you will get an audible, metallic clunk every time you move forward/move backward and stop.

Also, I just replaced my stock 160k mile top strut mounts and shocks. The plastic part of the bearing was worn through in a few spots and could have been contributing to my clunk.
I have replaced all of the above except the struts and the creaking Ive been after is still there. My next stop is the struts. Did you get them as a complete package or did you reuse the springs?

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Particularly, you'll want to replace the upper strut bearing and mount/support.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have replaced all of the above except the struts and the creaking Ive been after is still there. My next stop is the struts. Did you get them as a complete package or did you reuse the springs?
I reused the springs, the bellow (the plastic piece the covers the exposed piston rod), and any metal bits that don't wear out. I replaced the shocks, the upper mount, and the bearing as dr bob mentioned.

I had put KYB GR2's on at about 95k (now at 160k) and they were quite worn (very sloppy ride, but not totally blown out or leaking). I didn't replace the front shock bumpers when I put the KYBs on at 95k and the stock shock bumpers were DESTROYED! Like they had gone through a shredder. The worn KYBs were obviously not controlling the 'bounce' very well. I replaced them with aftermarket shock bumpers for this install because it was a Sunday and the car needed to go back together. I borrowed a spring compressor from the local auto parts store.

It is not a hard job, if you have replaced the control arm bushings, you can easily do this. You just need some specific tools that may not be a part of every shade tree mechanics arsenal.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Is replacing the sway bar a common practice? I'd understand replacing the bushings and links, but the bar itself is pretty much indestructible.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
, on a first gen anyway, sway bar bushings and perhaps also end links usually cure clunking at low speeds over bumps and so forth. No need to replace the sway bar itself.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
View attachment 147939 , on a first gen anyway, sway bar bushings and perhaps also end links usually cure clunking at low speeds over bumps and so forth. No need to replace the sway bar itself.

Just rip it all out and put in new. That way your bases are covered. :p

Reactions: plplplpl and AVC
1 - 11 of 11 Posts